Note to New Members ×

What kind of board is the matrix overlord?

mcbane

Hi all,

Newbie here with a chance to buy a matrix overlord..Wondering what category people think is, all-mountain or freecarve:

length: 168cm

Effective edge: 147cm

Nose width: 24.2

waist width:19.2

tail width: 23.4

Sidecut radius:11.8

http://www.matrixboardsports.com/mens_boards/overlord.htm

would a size 29 boot be too wide for this board?

thanks!

Interesting, looks like a new company. I'd call that a Freecarve board with a tail. Or, a narrow all-mountain. If you're looking for an FC, the specs look right on, and good for your boot size. However if you want an all-mountain carver, it's a bit narrow for your 29s.

I was bidding on that board as well. I really only wanted to go up to $200, but the ebay thing can be such a rush sometimes. I went down to the wire, but was out bit in the last 10 seconds. I didn't want to go to high not knowing anything about the board, and I'm not a huge fan of crazy graphics. Hope whoever got it or gets it can let us know how it rides. Sounds like retail isn't really to much on them, and I think there is a U.S. dealer now.

I was bidding on that board as well. I really only wanted to go up to $200, but the ebay thing can be such a rush sometimes. I went down to the wire, but was out bit in the last 10 seconds. I didn't want to go to high not knowing anything about the board, and I'm not a huge fan of crazy graphics. Hope whoever got it or gets it can let us know how it rides. Sounds like retail isn't really to much on them, and I think there is a U.S. dealer now.

I was in (well never bid on it I usually wait till last few minutes) till it went over 100bucks. I've asked around a few peeps in the industry and noone has heard of them. Who is their distributor here?

J

Guest dragon fly jones

What he means to say (Venture Capitalist)- a bored person who watched the x games, has some money and wants to cash in on this snowboard fad without having the knowledge of boards, the culture, or why a snowboard even works.

Chinese OEM - Chinese Original Equipment Manufactuer, a chinese manufacturing concern that is contracted to make other peoples products for them see Televisions, Bicycles etc etc. Further examples: See made in China stickers on everything on US or Canadian designed products. We have the intellectual side they have the labor/manu.

Made in china or assembled in US means made in China.

Just found a knock off Colnago 50 (Italian road bike frame) made in China for 450us while the Italian version 3000us. Looks like Colnago switched to cheaper and more cost efficent manu.

Hope this helps.

I did see that the boards seem to be made in china. I actually think the board sold for 170 something on ebay, because now that I think about it I put in a max bid of 150, then 160, but lost it in the last 30 seconds or so. I was willing to gamble on the board a little, but not to much. There is a slight cheese factor to the board, but I do like the shape

Yep they are Australian... A friend gave me the address of these guys and they're over in Melbourne ...They used to be in Perth if I remember correctly...

The overlord has the coolest topsheet I've seen in a while... but there sizes are somewhat limited..

I think the longest alpine deck they make is a 168 be nice if they made 170+ or even 180+ decks... don't think it would hurt to ask though...

And they are cheap too... dunno anyone who has ridden these decks but they seem promising.....

The overlord has the coolest topsheet I've seen in a while... but there sizes are somewhat limited..

I think the longest alpine deck they make is a 168 be nice if they made 170+ or even 180+ decks...

That's what I though too. The specs looked good for a fun ride aside from build quality issues...and the topsheet looked dope. I could have done without the faces, but I liked the flames.

J

Thanks for everyone's input...for the price, decided to take a chance and give it a try..its certainly stiffer than my neversummer premier t5. i think that's a good sign:) hopefully it won't delam after one ride..the top sheet is dope, except for face..maybe i'll put some stickers on there.lol

thinking of pairing this some snowpro race and some ups/upz mach x. would this make for a good starting carver board?

Thanks for everyone's input...for the price, decided to take a chance and give it a try..its certainly stiffer than my neversummer premier t5. i think that's a good sign:) hopefully it won't delam after one ride..the top sheet is dope, except for face..maybe i'll put some stickers on there.lol

thinking of pairing this some snowpro race and some ups/upz mach x. would this make for a good starting carver board?

Good work... You'll have to post a report on it to share the experience... who knows they could be the best kept secret and after word gets out they could become the one of the great beginner/intermediate boards avaliable!!

Good luck... hope she's a beauty!!:biggthump

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone notice the name of this is the Overlord and we are not talking about up here. It comes from "down under". Need to be careful who you are making deals with here.

And besides it will probably melt the snow, and I don't think we need any more of that.

Besides all that I like the shape too, but I ain't dealing with the overlord.

Did anyone notice the name of this is the Overlord and we are not talking about up here. It comes from "down under". Need to be careful who you are making deals with here.

And besides it will probably melt the snow, and I don't think we need any more of that.

Besides all that I like the shape too, but I ain't dealing with the overlord.

:angryfire

:angryfire BOW DOWN:angryfire

:AR15firin:freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :freak3: :flamethro

j

hUH?

Pretty good shape id say... looks kinda like a rounded tail prior (not to imply that the ride is like a prior), not an all mountain, but still round enough tail to allow for some switch riding. Never saw one, or even so much as heard of the brand before, but the topsheet is pretty cool:cool:

I'll be interested to know what its like, too! I have some friends who want to get into alpine, but cant afford (and probably wont be able to handle) a shiney new alpine setup from donek, prior, and the like.

can you take the heat with the overlord::flamethro

so i've taken the 'lord out twice. The first time was my first alpine experience in hardboots (that I hadn't molded-that hurt:smashfrea ). but the second time (after molding), everything clicked and I was doing norm and normII carving and really beginning to trust my downhill edge. so considering this, my review of the board is a bit limited.

right now, i'm riding Raichle 423, snowpro race plates, and the 'lord. My softboot setup that i've been riding for the past 6 years is salomon boots, drake bindings, and a neversummer premiere t5. in comparison with the T5, the lord is stiffer and lighter. board+ plates ~10bs. nose is curved up but tail is not. I feel it holds edge a lot better than the t5, but that's expected as the 'lord has more effective edge. can't comment on construction yet b/c i haven't had it for long. it feels like its decently made. supposedly its sidewall construction. the topsheet is a bit intense. i've already turned many heads at the lift line. i'm taking suggestions to modify the topsheet...

can someone explain why everyone likes the shape of this board? aren't most all-mountain boards with a rounded tail?

overall, i'm happy with it and looking forward to my next time out. i haven't had as much fun on a snowboard as I did carving on the 'lord in quite some time. i'm hoping to be able to carve some tigher turns next time out. i'm also hoping to use this primarily as a learning board before upgrading.

if anyone has specific questions about the board, let me know and i'll try my best to answer. can also post pics of it if you'd like.

^sidewall? looks like cap to me (at least from the pictures of the board for sale on ebay)

I think people like the shape because now that square tails are illegal in (some?) BX races, other companies such as prior are offering alpine boards with slightly rounded tails, much like the tail on the overlord. As a result, carvers can now practice carving switch more easily, to show that they can be badass both forward and backward.