Note to New Members ×

Hard and soft boot-able board?

big canuck

I'm after a freeride board and I'm just curious if there is a board out there that you can use plates or soft boot bindings on? I'm a bigger dude size 12 feet, 6 feet, 240 lbs (no fat jokes). The board I'm most looking at is a Prior ATV but I'm open to suggestions. Any input appreciated. Thanks.

I'm the same size as you. I picked one up one of these on ebay for short money thinking it would be a good cheap powder ( HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA east coast humor ) board. But this thing is a GUN. Crazy damp and comfortable at warp speeds, LOVES the plates. ( Snowpro races and Nordica SBH boots ) Smaller 9.5 sidecut great for surf style carving in crud. I haven't had it on groomed hero snow yet, but the board has such a huge sweet spot and long running length, railing carves on it should be pretty fun too. ( at medium speeds ) Of course you can take it anywhere on the mountain too.

And RULE the powder.

post-182-141842225297_thumb.jpg

made in Kalispell MT. come down to the big mtn and I will let you take mine for a spin. I am 6'3" 275 Lbs. This board is a dream with either soft or hard boots. Jon put an extra layer of carbon in mine so its alpine stiff and it screams in all conditions. these are semi custom boards in that you get to choose from a menu of options. they are also in the 450 -550 range dollar wise so quite reasonable for a custom stick. Jon is a busy guy but they are totally worth it.:biggthump

Pogo Longboard, if you have the cash to buy it. Makes a great all-mountain hardboot board, and an amazing powder board as well. It can be ridden with hard or soft boots, and i ride either depending on the conditions and my mood. You'd be looking for a 180.

Just wanted to add a +1 for the Tanker, which is what I use for freeride on plates, but plenty of people ride them in softies. I was just suggesting some alternatives.

What about taking Prior 4wd with some extra width? unbeatable board and with some xtra width you can run it with larger shoe size also :ices_ange
That's what the ATV is, and he's already considering it. The ATV is by all accounts a great board but is going to require a pretty forward stance for softies with your size 12s.

That's what the ATV is, and he's already considering it. The ATV is by all accounts a great board but is going to require a pretty forward stance for softies with your size 12s.

Sorry i was meaning that if ATV looks to be too narrow you can get that even wider.

And yes, Tankers are real nice too, i had 200 for 2 season but sold it away after getting proper powder board :D

I'll vouch for the atv since it's what I rode last year on softies and then started this season on plates.

i have size 12 feet and ran something around 36/30 on them, and it was great for my soft boots. the 23.5 cm waist is pretty accomodating.

i then picked up some TD2s over the summer and have been using those on it at 50/45. so far it's been great for me, although i have yet to take it in pow.

Tanker oversize 187 for my 5-10 1/4 240lb frame, wide enough for softies, but a hoot with plates. In softer stuff and crud, I don't leave trenches, I make berms. The 9.5m side cut makes for some really fun turns, and you can still open them up. A great all mountain board, I giggle every time I ride it.

mario

It looks like I can get one of these things for a really reasonable price. Obviously Donek and Prior make incredible boards but I'm probably going with one of these. I just can't see myself spending 2-3 times the dough for a new board if I don't even know if I'll like this style of board.

Anyone else try one of these besides Dano? Thx

I bought myself a Tanker 200 and an LSD, both from Rad Air, because I was in exactly the same situation as you are. I have the same shoe size but I`m alot lighter.

The Tanker is my favourite board ever! 11M sidecut. The LSD is FAST and stiff. 10.5M sidecut.

The only problem I have in hardboots with both boards is they want to turn way to much if I "really" push them even at my weight(180) and limited expirence.

Go for a bigger sidecut....... Or, have a look at the Dupraz D1plus........

Guest thomas_m

Go for a bigger sidecut....... Or, have a look at the Dupraz D1plus........

As far as I can tell, the D1+ is the exact same template as the D1, just stiffer. So it effectively has a very short sidecut. I have both and stacked them to check. D1+ rides much firmer than the D1 which was already good with plates and hardboots.

It's still not a point it down the fall line and ride machschnell board. Stiffness aside, it's still a pintail with a huge nose.

Have you ridden them both? I'm curious. Prior says the ATV is "a wider version of our Alpine 4WD model with a longer, more gradually inclined nose for improved float in the powder". Prior describes the flex for both as "moderately stiff" although for the ATV it goes on to say that the tip and tail are softer than the flex underfoot. From the specs, the sidecuts are very similar for a given length. Doesn't sound like a totally different board to me.

never measured anything but the waist (23 or 23.5?)...just rode it. 1st day was after nearly 2ft of fresh at mammoth...ask garyj how it performed.

aside from the tree-sketch, this could easily be a "go anywhere" board, and I do mean anywhere. Especially with some of you "real" riders!

Jim...if we met up Id consider letting you ride it. For about ten seconds. You break stuff ;)

for fun, I will measure it out today. Thing is...there's no serial on it, so Prior doesnt have the record of it.

approx specs (measured by hand) below:

Jim...if we met up Id consider letting you ride it. For about ten seconds. You break stuff ;)

haha, sure seems like a gear abuser. since i've been here, i've seen:

-broken tanker

-broken catek os2

-pair of upz boots broken (both!!)

-broken WCR

how many bones have you broken? or do you have some good luck charm that directs all bodily injure to your gear instead?

for fun, I will measure it out today.

would you mind measuring how much camber that thing has? it's been bugging me for about 3 weeks now how much camber an atv should have