Note to New Members ×

Ski law

BobD

Skier killed in apparent collision with snowboarder on Mount Hood

By The Associated Press

<!-- start photo --><!-- end photo -->

PORTLAND, Ore. – A skier was killed Friday on Mount Hood in an apparent collision with a snowboarder, authorities said.

Geoffry Scott Bradeen, 45, was discovered lying in the snow by passing skiers and snowboarders at about 9:45 a.m. near the top of the North Canyon run at the Mt. Hood Meadows ski resort, according to Deputy Matt English of the Hood River County sheriff's office.

Another skier called 911, and dispatchers notified the Mt. Hood Meadows ski patrol office.

English said it appeared that Bradeen may have fallen and was hit by a snowboarder as he attempted to get up.

Witnesses said an unidentified snowboarder at the scene told the others that he was going for help, and left the area. English said it was possible the snowboarder might have been scared off when he returned and found sheriff's deputies at the scene.

"At this point, we don't believe there was anything criminal," English said. "There are no known witnesses to the actual collision, but we are interested in obtaining a statement from the unidentified snowboarder that left the scene."

Bradeen suffered head injuries in the collision and was pronounced dead at the resort's medical clinic by an assistant Hood River County medical examiner, who happened to be skiing Friday. Bradeen was not wearing a helmet.

It was not known if Bradeen had gone to the mountain with family or friends, or was skiing alone.

Dave Riley, general manager for the resort, said two people died in skiing accidents during the 2005 season. None died last year, he said.

"Anytime something like this happens, it's a tragedy," Riley said. "Our hearts go out to the man's family."

Can't even imagine this boarders reality. How do you sleep with that?

why's that?

i was in a collision with a kid yesterday. i was downhill, he was uphill. it was race day so the place was full of kids straight-lining. i was going down a hill adjacent to a race course that was just set up. i was traversing across the run and lost toeside edge just before we hit. there was a snow fence from the race course nearby and so there wasn't room for him to avoid me. after we collided i thought he was seriously injured. i bruised my hip and this morning my leg is aching. he was curled up and not moving. he was probably 12-14 years old. ski patrol showed up and examined him. it looked serious and i was getting nervous but then they got him up. he claimed that i popped out of nowhere and that when we hit that he flipped in the air and landed on his chest. he wasn't wearing a helmet. i'm glad he didn't land on his head. his father came up and asked if i was okay and apologized for his son.

my first mistake was going down that run. my second was losing my edge and crossing into his fall line.

We all know that. Doesn't make you feel any better about a kid getting seriously injured.

to hell it doesn't!

I've seen allot of carnage and honestly, unless there is a head injury I never feel bad if it was not my fault, usually what goes through my head is "well, that was a learning experience for them"

I feel for people but when they do stupid things I really can't, maybe it's due to being a liftie for so long and feeling bad for tourons would only make you not be able to do your job.

we live in an era where consideration is less and less of a concern for the majority of people. This lack of consideration results in countless "accidents" and injuries. After reading that skilaw site...I almost don't want to be on resort terrain anymore. I was hit once in bend from the left/behind, by a skier. The skier ate it very hard, cartwheeling down the slope.

he got up and laughed. I was pissed off and told him. I was shaking the rest of the day and got off the hill after one more run...could have been very serious for either or both of us

again, lack of consideration.

but..tell this to people, and every single one of them will say "yeah...people are inconsiderate" when they themselves are the problem. Lack of introspection? No idea, but it worries and annoys me.

Last season a skier skied right into me while looking at her boots on a blue run. Yup, going straight and drifting toward me. I had stopped to let her go down the edge of the run as she slowly drifted toward me. I yelled once I realized that she wasn't going to look up and her trajectory was right at me. She rocked back in surprise and hit me as I jumped up and twisted with my arms against my chest.

Anyway, we hit helmets, hips, board/skis and boots. She came to a stop about 30yds down the run in a heap. Her parents watched the whole thing and refused to acknowledge my presence the whole time I was trying to find out her condition. It was kind of eerie. Ultimately she was just going to be a very sore ~20 yr old skier, but I kick myself for not getting any witnesses information to protect myself from a lawsuit. CYA...I have had two people in three years lie after an auto accindent that they were both clearly in the wrong.

...I'm on a toeside approach to a catwalk that accesses another lift and I suddenly get a glancing blow to my (previously repaired left rotator cuff/shoulder) from a pubescent jibbernaut going machteen-something. Because I'm on a Tanker 200 and I have applied Dominator Zoom wax to the aforementioned beast I bear down on the young'n and proceed to verbally abuse the cub. His buddy pipes in that I shouldn't have been 'blocking' the entrance to the catwalk.

I told the offending pizza-faced teen that I was at speed and had yielded anything to the left of my postiion; and that his miscreant associate was being a nuisance by using me as a meat gate. More to the point, his effing friend was simply being an anus by not not allowing enough space between us in an almost open area of the run.

I soon realized that I was doomed. No matter what I said or did I was the victim of a fly-by dumb-ass. The US Judicial system cannot prevent or punish this variety of stupidity. This was on a Sunday morning (for those of you who are not from Utah, this simply means that all the religious zealots are locked up in church houses on Sundays, which promotes clean, unladened, well-groomed slopes in the rural ski areas of northern Utah.) on a cold bluebird sky day with 4 inches of new snow.

Now I know why pickup trucks with Wyoming plates have baseball bats in the gun racks that show through the rear window. It's to fix any legal problems that might be encountered on a Sunday afternoon at Beaver Mountain in northern Utah.

Thanks for listening, let's get together again soon,

Mark

While nearing the bottom of a lift on the back side of Ski Liberty in Southern PA during a night skiing outing, the front of my skis (yes, skis. This was in '86 or '87 before I started snowboarding) were run over by an out of control kid. During my tumble, I totally lost track of the idiot. Also during the tumble my pole ended up planted in the snow as my mouth hit the grip end hard. Knocked out a tooth and knocked a couple mostly out of the sockets.

Got a rush trip to an emergency dentist who was able save the teeth still in my mouth. One of the front teeth on top is a crown set on a steel post that is anchored to my jaw bone as a result of the bonehead who never made another appearance.

Ultimately she was just going to be a very sore ~20 yr old skier, but I kick myself for not getting any witnesses information to protect myself from a lawsuit. CYA...I have had two people in three years lie after an auto accindent that they were both clearly in the wrong.

If she was one of the SoCal hottiez I seen then maybe you should have offered some massage lovin'; dumb skiers need lovin' too you know.

The thing that annoys me is in almost every story the person causing the problem cannot take responsibility; what happened to admitting that I screwed up, sorry?!

It shatters your nerves riding around people who bomb straight line.