Note to New Members ×

Coffee fans: The Starbucks secret is out

skategoat

There's another way to get a better cup of coffee for cheaper too. Don't go to starbucks. Their coffee sucks and they charge too much for it. End of story. Ditto on Gloria Jeans. GJ is good for buying beans and chilled drinks, but their coffee sucks, and like starbucks, it just isn't a $3.00 cup of coffee.

How to get a better Starbucks coffee for less money:

http://www.slate.com/id/2133754/?GT1=7641

Duh :smashfrea I thought everyone knew that...as a side note I have been living on cappuccino's in Cyprus, Italy and now Spain for the last week, and will go this way till next Tuesday. American's are still learning to make coffee the "right way" order a large cappuccino in italy and you will get what americans consider a cafe late' Cappuccino is served in a small cup anything more is a "coffee drink". I do believe I am becoming a snob for the continent though, at least where food and drink are concerned.

Gecko - I thought a "Cappuccino" was a shot or double shot of espresso topped with frothed milk. I thought a Cafe Latte was a shot or double shot of espresso mixed with steamed milk and topped with frothed milk. No?

Justin - Starbucks coffee rules man! I wasn't even a regular coffee drinker before, but the folks in my new office buy it by the pound for the coffee maker here and now I'm hooked. I love how it's got that toasty bite to it, unlike that wussy crap at DD and most places.

I'm with Gecko. Spend a couple of weeks in Italy and when you come home, you'll be horrified at American coffee. Even the grungiest hole-in-the-wall there will make a cappuccino to kick Starbucks a$$. You don't dare order a latte, lattes are what Italians make for their kids for breakfast...

The other half bought a baby coffee grinder and we've been having fun with a few different beans of late. Yet to find "the one" but some of them have been tasty.

well if I order a Cappuccino from the Tappa's bar across the Plaza from my hotel it comes like you said 1-2 shots with foam. If I order a Large Cappuccino it come's like the way you described a Latte's and if I order a Cafe' Latte it will come that way also. Cappuccino only comes in one size SMALL anything else is a coffee drink...that said I am partial to Cafe Americano's they don't change no matter where you are, though here you have to tell them how many shots you want. I was in "Cappuccino Withdrawl's" after my first trip to Europe

Side note the good news is the airlines found my suitcase...the bad news is that it's in Milan, Italy for another day while I'm in Cadiz, Spain

I don't think I've ever had a good cup of coffee at a Starbucks. It always tastes like the beans were charred a little in order to increase the flavor. Apparently, many coffee shops do just that in order to disguise really cheap beans.

I've found my coffee nirvana. It comes from Vermont. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters. http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/

My preference is one they've labeled "Our Blend."

And no, I don't work there or have any monetary interest in the company other than that I willingly send them money periodically in return for coffee beans.

I got tired of paying big bucks for bad "espresso" a couple years ago. Broke down and bought an Expobar Office and it paid for itself easily in the first year. Better creme, choose your own beans, and you dont have to suffer the indignities of calling SB's smallest drink a "tall" :rolleyes:

I don't think I've ever had a good cup of coffee at a Starbucks. It always tastes like the beans were charred a little in order to increase the flavor. Apparently, many coffee shops do just that in order to disguise really cheap beans.

I've found my coffee nirvana. It comes from Vermont. Green Mountain Coffee Roasters. http://www.greenmountaincoffee.com/

Green Mountain makes a really good cup of coffee. Hands down, it's my favorite.

I saw on the news a few weeks ago that starbucks "in order to satisfy the highly descerning demands of our New England customers" was coming out with a new blend/formula/whatever just for the new england area and calling it "new england blend". They tried to flatter the reigon by saying that we have highly developed palates and tastes in our coffee, which is pretty much them admitting that their coffee sucks. In my area, we all had a good laugh about it and still think their coffee sucks. If I wanted coffee I would go to a coffee store, not a book store ;) .

as a generalization I think New Englanders prefer a darker roast than west coasters do. Part of it is I'm sure the number of Italians who live in NE but I also think it's the weather (under normal circumstances anyway) darker coffee seems to just go better. Also remember that coffee milk is state drink of Rhode Island. I for one tend to stock up on the Winter Blend beans and freeze them for the rest of the year

The best coffee I've ever tasted was in Costa Rica. Nothing special by C.R. standards, it was just what they served at the mountain lodge in the mornings. Brewed in an old fashioned percolator. I bought some beans to bring home but it just wasn't the same. Must be some sort of magical combination of beans, water, brewing method.

It was better than anything I was served in Italy or France. Not to say their coffee wasn't great, but the stuff in Costa Rica was heavenly. Rich, aromatic, nutty.

As for Starbucks, ya they are over-rated and expensive but before they came along, your choices were Tim Horton's brown water or the universally horrid stuff that coffee shops served in those ubiquitous white styrofoam cups.

As for Starbucks, ya they are over-rated and expensive but before they came along, your choices were Tim Horton's brown water or the universally horrid stuff that coffee shops served in those ubiquitous white styrofoam cups.

true enough, at least starbucks made it a requirement to have an espresso machine in your restaurant now just like in europe

We had several specialty coffee shops in town before Starbucks finally showed up a couple of years ago. Mind you, I don't drink coffee so I can't vouch for the quality.

Gloria Jean's sells Jamacian Blue Mountain beans. 100% from the Jamacan Blue Mountains. It's like drinking chocolate. Too bad it's $50/lb. We buy about 3 bags a year and savor it. I only drink coffee when we're out of tea (it's the hippy in me), or I'm out somewhere and I get cappuccino. The Mount Washington Hotel makes THE best cup of cappuccino I've ever tasted, with The Manor in 'Jersey coming in a close second.

I'm with Gecko. Spend a couple of weeks in Italy and when you come home, you'll be horrified at American coffee. Even the grungiest hole-in-the-wall there will make a cappuccino to kick Starbucks a$$. You don't dare order a latte, lattes are what Italians make for their kids for breakfast...

The other half bought a baby coffee grinder and we've been having fun with a few different beans of late. Yet to find "the one" but some of them have been tasty.

We recently received a Saeco all in one espesso machine ( Jetson style just hit the button! ) and are now thoroughly addicted. I tried 5 different brands and by far the best is Lavazza Super Crema beans from Italy. You can get a kilo for about 25 bucks, or a 6 bag case on ebay for around $100 like I did...

Good rush factor and SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH!

post-182-141842224909_thumb.jpg

I picked up a couple of pounds of various different coffee's in the Carrefour (Spanish supermarket/Super-Walmart) before I left. One of those was Lavazza, Segafredo and Nescafe Banka are two others that I remember I bought. Sadly my suitcase is still someplace between Madrid and Providence (last I heard it was in Paris) so I have yet to enjoy my coffee's.

Fresh is best!! Try eating a whole roasted store bought bean and they taste stale compared to a fresh roasted bean. I think I started roasting about 5 or 6 years ago.

Links . . .

http://www.lucidcafe.com/homeroast.html

http://www.sweetmarias.com/ - you can order fresh roast here + lots more.

http://www.i-roast.com/index.php - the I-Roast 2 is my current roaster

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/

I certainly agree that SB is any thing but the great coffee it claims - far from. But you know, you're out w/ the fam and the small town only has a few choices and that's where they want to go:freak3: . So I was there the other day and for laughs ordered the short cap. No qualms from the barista and she even called it out loud and clear. It was better than the latte, but far from good. Funny thing was - we're such Americans - my daughter and her boyfriend just couldn't stop ribbing me for my "non-manly" cup!!:lol:

I held it with pride and dreamed I was in Italy having a real coffee.

:confused:

We recently received a Saeco all in one espesso machine ( Jetson style just hit the button! ) and are now thoroughly addicted. I tried 5 different brands and by far the best is Lavazza Super Crema beans from Italy. You can get a kilo for about 25 bucks, or a 6 bag case on ebay for around $100 like I did...

Good rush factor and SMOOTH SMOOTH SMOOTH!

You spent HOW MUCH ??!! ON COFFEE ??!!

http://www.coffeefool.com/ only thing better than the smell of good coffee brewing in the morning.....is...the smell of bacon sizzlin'.

this place was a great coffee hang out here in Boston(Davis Square Somerville-near Tufts U) http://www.sdaycafe.com/

SAdly, it closed but Starbucks still thrives- :mad: damn yuppies

I must admit Lavazza is, from far, the best espresso beans available in grocery stores. They are not too expensive (Crema e Gusto, Caffe de Oro) and sure make an excellent espresso/cap/latte.

I just totally loooove my espresso machine on saturday mornings while reading the newspapers beside my fireplace !! :biggthump