Note to New Members ×

Cold Toes, Head boots

DiveBomber

for me

the thinner the better and warmer but especially in the toe, most socks do more to cut off circulation in your foot than they do by being thick thus actually make you colder

thick socks are pretty useless to me, other people wear thick socks and swear by them but if I do I get cold.

when I was working in a shop I used to do the liner sock only thing with people who complained of cold feet and in more than half the cases either loosening boot or a less bulky sock helped the issue

if you really want to cure the problem though get some thermoflexes for those boots, they are warmer than most other types of liners

If you really want warm feet you have an option on each side of the scale.

Cheap- Thermo socks and temp heat packs (last a good few hours)

Expensivo- you can get heated liners that are attatched to a lightwieght battery pack:smashfrea

My solution is a nice thick wool sock, does the trick:angryfire

Another thing is to use purpose built ski socks. I swear by Smartwool's Racer model. Its a thin weave everywhere, except where you need it. It has a padded shin to keep Gleb Syndrome at bay, and it has light padding in the heel and toe to keep you going. It also has an arch support built in. Smartwool makes a great product, you're bound to find something you like from them. Check out the racer sock, or even the ski light model. I've had cold feet exactly once while wearing the racers, but there was also ice forming inside my boots that day, so it's a whole different scenario.

My feet are always cold as well, but I've got fit problems with my AF600s. I have wide feet, very narrow ankles but big calves, so I run into the problem of having my foot a little squished at the sides, my foot being able to left unless I crank the buckles so hard it cuts off circulation on the way down, and then the top being too tight. :D

greg

I am doing as others are doing, fairly thin wool socks. Obviously Smartwool makes some great stuff, Wigwam does too (their upscale brand is called Ultimax) and so does Columbia. I actually prefer the Columbia ski socks... they're just a tad denser than the Smartwool, they offer a little padding on the heel where I have bone spurs, but they never bunch up or otherwise cause circulation issues. They are also a bit rough on the outside which means they don't slide against the liner at all, I can go one notch looser on my boots all around.

cant remember what brand I wear, but they're called "medium" thickness but are thinner than my everyday socks

Ive rarely had cold feet problems my entire snowboarding career, but with these puppies I am WAAAARM.

oh..found em. Fox River. Good stuff!

and for good sock purchases at a discount:

http://www.sockcompany.com/snowboardfox.html

Been riding with a very thin synthetic for 3 years in my Heads and never get cold feet, keep 'em on the floor up by the heater vent on the ol' Buick on the way up and as long as I don't over crank the buckles my feet are as comfy as can be :rolleyes: See you at Powder Mountain, Kipp Pray for Snow (3-4 feet would be great)

+1 for thin socks. Presumably you have some wiggle room in your toe box. If not, you need some.

I love the Ultimax ultrathin (not sure what they call it) version. They are in some ways a lot like tall black dress socks. Super comfy and warm. I now have 4 pair and I bought some for my kids late last season.

Heaters will also help. But get the ones that stick to the bottom of your insoles and try to shave the insole to allow for the extra volume the heater will take up.

I also use the ultrathin ultimax; it is the only way I can get into the boot.

The biggest cause of feeling cold feet is circulation IMHO, specifically, the top of your foot; which is right where the 2nd buckle is on most snowboard boots. I can make my feet feel cold anytime (even here in THailand) by cranking that buckle overtight. It starts cutting off the circulation and nerve that runs across the top of the foot which is why the foot feels cold.

So...solution is get foot beds; good fitting molded boots; check whether there is plastic in the way and grind it out (that is why soft bindings often have that hole on the 2nd strap) and also consider loosening buckle on the chair up.

Thermoflex are pretty warm as well; now I have problems that my feet are sweating the whole day, as they are so hot and don't leak; ski boots from before were leaky and not nearly as warm plus twice the weight.