Note to New Members ×

Is there any snow in the east?

jtslalom

I'm suppose to go to Vermont on Thursday and ride through Saturday. I called my friend who rode Sugarbush on 12/22 and 12/23 and he said conditions were terrible. I talked to my buddy living in Woodstock Vt. and he drove up to Killington today just to look at it and he also said that conditions are terrible and not to bother coming up. He also said it was raining by him in Woodstock. What's the deal? Does any body know for sure where ANY good snow is in the east and how conditions on Vermont slopes might be by Thursday? I know colder weather is coming in. The cold weather will certainly make any resort that got rain bullet proof. I really don't want to make a trip up to Vermont if the conditions are that bad, I might as well go to Hunter or Windham in NY for a day trip.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no... there is slush, ice, and small rocks on top (WTF?!). The runs are narrow. Therefore, you will go slow, not be able to complete your turns, slip on the ice, your base will look like one of Freddy Crougar's victims, and when you fall it will hurt.

I live at Sugarbush...snowed 4-5 inches last night, then rained all day today, now 24 degrees. Everything is freezing solid. REALLY bad, and with limited terrain and holiday crowds it just isn't worth it. Heck I live right here and I'm going nowhere near the mountain tomorrow. :(

Up north at Mont Ste-Anne is OK, not the best season start vs other years but conditions are good. There was 39 trails opened yesterday. We got 10-12 inches of snow on Tuesday, no rain at all. It is cold actually, so snowmaking is working 24/24 and new trails are opening everyday.:)

I had a chance to make few runs in knee deep powder yesterday :ices_ange

Seb

Up north at Mont Ste-Anne is OK, not the best season start vs other years but conditions are good. There was 39 trails opened yesterday. We got 10-12 inches of snow on Tuesday, no rain at all. It is cold actually, so snowmaking is working 24/24 and new trails are opening everyday.:)

I had a chance to make few runs in knee deep powder yesterday :ices_ange

Seb

I really need to move back to Québec city. Someday...

Snow today, heavy snow tommorow, and snow again Saturday is the forcast down here. Usually when NM gets pounded CO is getting pounded as well. Wolf Creek should be past 200" YTD by new years.

Temps haven't been great, but altitude always seems to prevail.

Probablly the best start to the season since I started snow sports three years ago. The upper mountain at Santa Fe should be open this weekend which will be the earliest opening I've experienced so far. Last season the upper mountain didn't open at all.

I don't understand why the east coast has all these issues. You guys have the precip and the temps? What's the problem? Is it lack of altitude?

I live at Sugarbush...snowed 4-5 inches last night, then rained all day today, now 24 degrees. Everything is freezing solid. REALLY bad, and with limited terrain and holiday crowds it just isn't worth it. Heck I live right here and I'm going nowhere near the mountain tomorrow. :(

This conditions I would enjoy. I would not complain. I used to love icy slopes. Freezing slope has one big advantage: it discourages bad riders and skiers and so trails are frequently empty. On other hand, this conditions check if one has guts and skills.

This conditions I would enjoy. I would not complain. I used to love icy slopes. Freezing slope has one big advantage: it discourages bad riders and skiers and so trails are frequently empty. On other hand, this conditions check if one has guts and skills.

Yeah, that's it. I'm not going because I don't have any guts or skills. I so enjoy when there are only 3 or 4 trails open and it's blown machine snow that never got groomed before it got rained on and frozen into whales and ditches and its covered with crowds of intermediate or lower skilled people over the holidays...man, but if I had the guts and skills I would go. :freak3:

Yeah, that's it. I'm not going because I don't have any guts or skills. I so enjoy when there are only 3 or 4 trails open and it's blown machine snow that never got groomed before it got rained on and frozen into whales and ditches and its covered with crowds of intermediate or lower skilled people over the holidays...man, but if I had the guts and skills I would go. :freak3:

Well, I did not say that I go because I have or don't have guts or skills. I said that the conditions really check that. That's different. I enjoyed, because I enjoyed icy slope. Perhaps, adrenaline makes that, perhaps empty trails that let me open up and have fun is the cause. Honestly I do not care today. I only care not to hurt anybody and have fun.

Yes it is global warming.. just like global is warming in my armpit when I am sick :D

Maciek, I'm gonna guess that engrish isn't your first ranguage.

I know what you're trying to say about guts and skills but lately it isn't even worth driving up to ride and risk getting taken out by someone with guts, no skills and the inability to hockey stop on sheets( big sheets) of ice. :freak3::eek: blowing out a shoulder or tweaking a knee isn't worth the glory of gut wrenching figure skating down the hill.

if it ever does snow, building one of these in the woods would be pretty sweet

http://www.freeskier.com/freeskier/news.php?news_id=560

Click here to find out more!

Introducing the portable ski lift