Note to New Members ×

Shin bang...TO THE X-TREME!!!

Gleb

After just 1 day of riding, i got some bruising from my UPZ liners. on my 2nd day out, i rode for around 11 hours with just one long break near the end of the night. On that 11 hour day, I felt tremendous pain but I rode through it and it got so intense that it just went away. I got my thermoflex liners but haven't had a chance to mold them yet, and won't be able to till thursday. I went for a few runs today and just went back home since the conditions were so horrible because of all the freshly blown snow, and the pain.

Here is the picture of the carnage:

IMG_4988.jpg

IMG_4984.jpg

IMG_4986.jpg

Now i'm in the mood for some steak.

P.S. : I love the boots though. In combination with my newer boards, my riding has improved tremendously over last year, even if i still fall now more than the end of last year.

edit: I just placed my order for the booster strap!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought shin bang was bruising rather than rubbing.

My second season I experienced it was after some toeside falls where I tried to slow my self with the board. This caused some deep bruising to one shin.

It was painful every time a toe side turn chattered. I very quickly changed my technique to loose that toe side chatter. It was painful. I'm always careful how I use the board to slow myself if I fall now.

BobD

The UPZ's tongues become thickest right at their top edge. I think this is a problem since it provides a very stiff ride for your leg to rub against. A possible solution I was considering was cutting a long notch out of the middle of the top edge of the top edge of the tongue like my Le Mans has to allow it to flex.

per alpinecarving: "Shin bang When the shin rubs or pressures against the boot cuff, creating a painful bruise." that's chaffing shin bang vs. impact shin bang (or maybe you have both, which would really suck)

is there a point to riding if you're in so much pain? riding is supposed to be fun.

personally i think 11 hours + some other factor (boots too tight? wrong angle of something?) is responsbile. i'd really look at your setup. do you have a ton of lift on the rear and flat on the front?

could also really just be you need more insulation b/w your liner and shin?

I had the exact thing my first day at korea last season; about the same condition.

Rode another two days on it, then spent about a month healing; not worth it (and my shins are relatively nerveless from muay thai).

It looks like it is sock rubbing combined with perhaps your liner grabbing your sock and this friction has whipped off layers of skin.

Other than dressing a largish wound and preferably not riding for at least 2 weeks to let things heal, if you insist on going out, here is what I would suggest.

Get some second skin or similar, then bandage that against the dressed wound, then fairly tightly wrap the whole section of the leg in a bandage that cannot move around at all. Then put on your sock, and tape your sock so it cannot move around.

That will help a bit, but...not much you can do about the existing damage other than let things heal.

For boot alteration, go through and check every seam; cut away any hard material, and for seams, you can use a hammer or something to soften them up a bit.

That looks more like major rubbing to me. I always thought shin bang is when you bruise the shins due to impact from the tongue/liner…

What socks did you use?

Do you have excessive room between the shell tongue, liner tongue and your shins?

I rode in the first two days of the season and had a worse case then your. I had my original angle off a bit and the boot not lined up right. I blew thru all the layers of skin down to meat. I kept ridin everyday though and now 11 days in its starting to heal. I've never had it as bad as this year. I to shave my legs to the tops of my boots and neglected this as well before my first ride. Take Advil and ride harder.

Speedzilla: I use soccer socks that go up to almost my knee.

Jnshapiro: yeah, its pretty unrealistic for me not to ride when I can, and in this case, i still can.

BobD: What do you mean by using the board to slow you down.

Skipuppy: did it work? and you better heal fast, but today, conditions sucked!!

serious: I think cutting the liner would comepletly diminish the liner's life span. Good idea though. I'd defintly try it out but I'm getting my thermoflex molded tomorrow.

Barry: its only rubbing thank god. The pain went away so it was still fun. I was still able to carve. I ride with medium amount of lift in the back and flat in the front with my rear boot in the lean forward position. My angles seem fine, what I usually ride with my old boots, Burton Winds.

Bob Dea: Next time I'm working at my pharmacy, I'm picking some of that stuff up.

Kipstar: You are one crazy mofo. Not riding for 2 weeks is defintly not an option. I'm on a month break now from school and definitly not letting this crappy season get away...even if it is crappy. I did something similar to what you did. I went home and my mom put some russian stuff on it which didn't do anything special at first, but it was all numb today. She put a large gaus dressing which stayed on throughout the day.

Galen: 11+ hours is a start. That was with a little break near the end of the night. My goal is to ride 14 hours of hard riding on our little mountain and still be able to walk to the car. 8am-10 pm. :biggthump

Phil and Alexeyga: Not yet! i took it easy today and it felt great. Can't spend any more money on more boots now because I have no where to put them in my apartment. My room is puking up snowboards, skis, boots and laundry that needs to get down.

Ray: no matter how tight i crank my boots, they still manage to not secure my shin enough. I have small/high calf muscle and Bob Dea pointed out that I need a higher volume liner.

EZE: It feels like mine is just stiffened up and it defintly won't heal quick. Hope yours turns out fun. I just hope my hair starts growing back fast.

rear foot. I have forward lean one notch and can't really be comfortable otherwise. I think it is a combination of many things like some of you mentioned. Such as my liners, my socks, my angle/lift and probably my style of riding. I'm eliminating the liner factor and adding booster strap so hopefully nothing like this happens again.

You shouldve seen it after tons of sweat went through it when I went to my high school's wrestling practice the other day. =X

"I have forward lean one notch and can't really be comfortable otherwise"

I beg to differ, you couldn't be much more uncomfortable in your present situation, you are cranking against the front of your rear boot, lean it forward some, take off the pressure, adjust your muscles, not your shin bone

what i ment was that i had forward lean on my rear foot. If make the boot lean one notch more, my foot gets no circulation. If i loosen the boot, I have no control. I don't like this trade off.

About 20 years ago, I had some soccer shin guards that were basically a thin layer of hard plastic with a 1/4" thick layer of foam under them. If you can find a set, and carve out the foam over the wound, and maybe add some foam around the edges of the wound (weather stripping, perhaps?), that might allow you to ride without aggravating the wound.

No promises, I'm just thinking out loud here...

I ride with super thin pure cotton socks and I never get shinbang or chafing at all..... polyester and poly/cotton blends tend to rub more imo. As well as making my feet sweat tremendously.

Maybe something to try if you haven't already...

How high do you pull your socks up?? (Dumb question I know but everyones different...) mine go to the knees.

Man... I hope it heals quick cos that leg looks evil.... look after it before it gets worse.

I can almost gauarantee that this is being caused by there being a smallish gap near the top of the boot (the boot isn't done up fully tight/molding leaves space for the leg to wiggle a bit) and the sock is rotating as it is getting friction of some sort from the liner; the constant rubbing of the sock inside against the thigh has slowly stripped off layer after layer of skin.

Long term fix:

- tape your sock around the top like a garter, tight enough that you still have circulation and the sock isn't rotating around

- see if you cannot change sock brands to one that the liner isn't going to grip

- use second skin type bandage product so the sock can slide against your leg without rubbing away layers of skin

- adjust your cants/lifts so the boot can be done up a little more tightly, eliminating the rubbing as a rseult of the boot being too loose

Like I say, I know the pain; and 1 year later still have a major scar on my leg which i suspect will be there for life now :-)

Ah well....shaboopi.

Guest Crosbie

A few years ago I was used to ski boots, and a combo guide/shopkeeper strenuously persuaded me to evaluate some hard boots. So, I got shin bang - ruined the next 5 days for me.

I'm about to get a new pair of hard boots (unseen). I'm worried that shin bang is an intrinsic issue with snowboard boots vs ski boots.

Is it exacerbated by a tendency to lean the shins into the boots?

Guest Crosbie

I had an off-piste guide (who was pally with a shop) persuade me to dump my comfortable ski boots to improve my carving with an evaluation of the real McCoy - hard snowboard boots (dunno what make).

I had shin bang/burn after a couple of hours, that ended up ruining the rest of my week (5 days). Nothing really visible, but it wasn't half painful.

I wonder if it's because I tended to lean my shins into the boots?

One of the reasons I went to soft boots was because of my bad experience.

If I'm a heavy guy, am I going to find that this is an intrinsic problem to hardboots?

Any hardboots in particular that tend to cause shin pain? Ones to avoid or veer towards?

[NB My first attempt at posting to this thread didn't turn up - apologies if it turns up later]

yeah, avoid UPZ until you really know what you need, don't mind doing a ton of boot work and love discomfort.

I'm a big dude and I don'tt have problems as long as the boots don't have a wacky design

Depending on your foot I am sure you can probably make the head or deeluxe boots work with little or no hassle