Note to New Members ×

Question for Fin - Track 325's

Allee

Hey Fin, I would ask Dave this but he's away in China for a few weeks ...

I got my new Track 325's and they're great, but I think I have a problem coming up. I have skinny ankles and lower legs, and when I do up the top strap on the boots on the last tooth it's only marginally tight. After a couple of days of wear the liner is going to pack, and then I'll get movement through the top of the boot.

Looking at the buckle system, it looks like the "teeth" on the ratchet (the silver bit) can be moved over into the next "hole" on the strap. I'd guess you just undo the hex head on there, and punch it into the next moulding. Have you tried doing this? And is it designed to come out, or am I imagining things?

I've misplaced my instruction book, so I can't see if it says anything in there about moving it. And I should have taken pics ... I'll try and do it tonight.

Thoughts?

I had that same problem with my Lemans boots (same shape). I tried several things, including the Eliminator tongue shim from Tognar and nothing really worked. It was bad enough that the top of the boot was overlapping itself and I had a bald spot on my shin where the hair had been rubbed off. Anyway, what finally fixed it was two layers of booting fitting foam in the upper part of the boot. and the back side of the upper part of the tongue. Perfect. Now I can actually adjust the tightness by using the buckles and no more rubbing, just beautiful snugness.

I kept the paper patterns I used to make when cutting the foam and I can scan them and email them to you if you're interested.

I guess it's similar to the Manoove system, but a lot cheaper, fit more exactly, and it's always in the boot.

I had that same problem with my Lemans boots (same shape). I tried several things, including the Eliminator tongue shim from Tognar and nothing really worked. It was bad enough that the top of the boot was overlapping itself and I had a bald spot on my shin where the hair had been rubbed off. Anyway, what finally fixed it was two layers of booting fitting foam in the upper part of the boot. and the back side of the upper part of the tongue. Perfect. Now I can actually adjust the tightness by using the buckles and no more rubbing, just beautiful snugness.

I kept the paper patterns I used to make when cutting the foam and I can scan them and email them to you if you're interested.

I guess it's similar to the Manoove system, but a lot cheaper, fit more exactly, and it's always in the boot.

Please email them to me too. Manoove appears to no longer sell their product directly anymore (and I can't find a store that ships to the US)

Didn't you used to lift a lot? Calves are one of the things that are mostly genetics, hard to build them up too much.

I still lift a lot. And yes, calves are totally genetic. Mine are a dead giveaway that I should have been a runner and not a bodybuilder...

I hope I'm not thread jacking...but...I've been fighting with a shin-bang type situation for a while and have tried a few different things to no avail. I was just on www.tognar.com and, under the boot fitting area, they have these foamy type tongue things that I think a person would install on the inside of a boots tongue between the liners. Is this the type of foam or neoprene that might help me out too?

I hope I'm not thread jacking...but...I've been fighting with a shin-bang type situation for a while and have tried a few different things to no avail. I was just on www.tognar.com and, under the boot fitting area, they have these foamy type tongue things that I think a person would install on the inside of a boots tongue between the liners. Is this the type of foam or neoprene that might help me out too?

I tried the Eliminators and while it did take up space in the boot, it did it all in a fairly small area. In other words, I while it did take up volume for me, it still allowed my leg to move in other directions inside the boots which caused other problems. If your boots are just a little too large, it might be a good solution. I like my setup a lot better because it takes up volume all the way around the upper portion of my boot and provides an all around snug fit. In the end, layering the boot with boot fitting foam just provided a much higher quality of fit.

Allee,

Sorry for the delay just got back from 4 days in Utah for some Telemark demo stuff. Great conditions but COLD :eek:

As a guy with calves that look like #2 pencils I can feel your pain :D . But the good news is the upper straps on the Track series of boot is ready to be made smaller in its sizing. In other words, yes, that extra cavity you see on the back side of the strap is to accept the smaller setting for the buckle. All to you have to do is drill out that hole they have started for you (I believe a 1/4" drill works well, just needs to be slightly bigger then the OD of that T-Nut). Then you can move the buckle inward for the smaller sized calves like ours. Drop of thread-lock on the screw is a good idea.

You are welcome to contact me directly if you need any more assistance on this.

Fin, you rock my world. :1luvu:

I have to study all week and have an exam on Thu night, and guessing that trying this three glasses of wine down after work on Friday isn't a great idea. However, I will take them apart this weekend and get er done, and try and post pics as a reference.

Thanks sweet pea.

• 2 years later...

Reviving this thread...

Allee or anyone else , did you wind up drilling and how did it go? Bonnie (my other half) has the same problem. Unlike my Track 700s, there is only one slot for the knobby thing on the aluminim "teeth piece" - and there's no cut-out for the T-nut on the back of the strap in the spot where I can drill. Was just onwdering how you deal with this.

My T325s are already on the small setting.. still too loose on my calves. (the T325s i bought used have two rectangular cutouts on front and two rectangular countersinks on the back of the strap)

Guess my ankles are girly :confused:

My boot uppers are 25-27s, and I wear a 27, so these are the smallest boot uppers I'll be able to wear for deeluxe.

Intentions are to get some eliminators from tognar, as well as some pads for my ankles, and footbeds. not getting quite enough heel hold down, and the instep strap really has to get cinched down to feel tight.

I also have BONY shins, so some extra padding from the eliminators would be nice there.

Mike, I did end up moving the buckles back, no problems at all. There was a dimple on the strap, and I just unscrewed the buckle, punched a nail through the dimple, and moved the buckle over. Five minute job.

I'm still having issues with these boots too. I've got a quarter inch of bootfitters foam added to the tongue, and I still have room. Foot size wise they're perfect, but they're just big around the ankles and shins. A Booster strap is going to be the next addition, try and crank them in a bit.

I highly, highly recommend shintronics. I haven't ridden a day without them since I got them sometime last year...or maybe 2 years ago. It'll take a day or 2 for your muscles to get used to them, or at least it did for me. It allows me to deliver more power into the boot.

edit: wow i should really read the posts ahead of mine...Thats too bad that they don't ship to the US anymore. Its a quality product.

I'm still having issues with these boots too. I've got a quarter inch of bootfitters foam added to the tongue, and I still have room. Foot size wise they're perfect, but they're just big around the ankles and shins. A Booster strap is going to be the next addition, try and crank them in a bit.

Allee - I hate to bear bad news but you are still going to have problems :(

I have the same issue, track 325T, moved the strap over as much as possible, cut out material for tongue overlap, tognar tongue foam, and booster strap...still too big, and still too much movement at the top :(

I also downsized to a smaller mondo for a 700T to see if that would help, but they are still too big around the calf area and unfortunately REALLY tight in the toe box.

....damn these calves...I need implants or something :eek:

Mike, I did end up moving the buckles back, no problems at all. There was a dimple on the strap, and I just unscrewed the buckle, punched a nail through the dimple, and moved the buckle over. Five minute job.

So the fact that the t-nut sits flush on the strap doesn't cause any problems for you? Did you trim the strap at all?

Allee - I hate to bear bad news but you are still going to have problems :(

I have the same issue, track 325T, moved the strap over as much as possible, cut out material for tongue overlap, tognar tongue foam, and booster strap...still too big, and still too much movement at the top :(

I also downsized to a smaller mondo for a 700T to see if that would help, but they are still too big around the calf area and unfortunately REALLY tight in the toe box.

....damn these calves...I need implants or something :eek:

Hmmm, if still problems - a few possible solutions. Keep downsizing the boot or start working out your calves (running will do it, believe me :)). Also, I just wonder if the size is fine, but the boot is loose around the calf - what's the situation with heel lift. I guess, this also would be a problem, since the skinny leg will try to get out of the heel cup. Good luck :biggthump

Millen

Mike - nope, just bolted it in and left it. Hasn't caused me any issues so far.

Furi - thanks for that. That's depressing news for sure. I really want to get my hands on a set of Heads and try them out ... and maybe give the Tracks "the boot". Shame, but if they don't fit - they don't fit.

Hmmm, if still problems - a few possible solutions. Keep downsizing the boot or start working out your calves (running will do it, believe me :)). Also, I just wonder if the size is fine, but the boot is loose around the calf - what's the situation with heel lift. I guess, this also would be a problem, since the skinny leg will try to get out of the heel cup. Good luck :biggthump

Millen

I think the biggest problem for the skinny calf brigade is that the shell sizes are in 1 mondo increments while the upper cuffs are in roughly 2 mondo increments. Most of us are probably on the low range of the upper cuff.

I downsized 2 mondo sizes (26, 25, 24) and the whole boot actually fits better. On the 25 mondos, I was at the lower size for the upper and had to actually drill a hole in the strap well beyond where the extra spot is provided just to ride the boot. As Furi mentioned (he has my former 25s), you then need to shorten the straps and cut out material on the boots.

On the 24s, I am at the upper end of the upper cuff sizing and it fits, but just barely. I usually have one notch left on the upper buckles.

I do not understand why the uppers are sized so large. Are any hardbooter's calves too big to fit in the correct mondo sized boot?

Allee - Don't loose hope! If the 325's fit you can do the Buell trick and cut out upper material and get a good top 2 buckle fit. i can mail you pics of what Buell is talking about. The modifications Buell did on his Track 700T mondo 25s that I bought allow me to tighten down the top buckles. He did cut out some material but it does work!

My issue is that the 325's in mondo 26 are too loose, but the track 700T's in mondo 25 are too tight in the toe box :) Im right in between sizing...go figure heh.