Note to New Members ×

Oregon Expression Session (OES) 2007

Mike T

I am going to be at Timberline that weekend for a wedding (which will occurr on the mountain) but I may be be able to make it up to Bend for OES, which would be great since I'm starting back up after 2 years of not riding ...

Have any of you Oregonians ever ridden with Steve Black or Gabe Cabatic? If anyone knows steve, tell him that I still have his kildy (and I still owe him for it!). I rode with them a few times in college.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From high atop "Rainbow" chair. OES says "Hi Bomber".

The light may have been flat today, but the spirits were bright. A pleasure to meet so many new alpine riders and of course ride with old friends!! Welcome to a strong group of riders from Idaho and Washington states.

Short video clip of some of the riders just after the photo.

post-198-141842230278_thumb.jpg

Heard there was another big turnout for Saturday. Where's the big group pic? What happened, couldn't stop riding? :lol: :lol::lol:

Congrats on the weather, I am so stoked that it turned out so nice. Looking forward to seeing more photos and video.

A big THANK YOU goes out to everyone who came out and carved at Bachelor over the past four days, making OES a HUGE success! Credit goes to 25 or so riders who showed up, railed hard, and shared their stoke an enthusiasm with the group. Trenches were dug, friendships were forged, muscles were taxed, gear was loaned, and gloves were ripped. Several complaints were made to ski patrol about the unusually deep trenches on T-Bird on Saturday morning which we were only too happy to hear about.

Special thanks to www.finelineclub.com for photos and videos (http://www.finelineclub.com/pics/main.php?g2_itemId=5330) and to Etsu for ritualistically manipulating the weather and giving us 3 days of sun, a little fresh snow, and unexpected hero groomers in the face of a very gloomy weather forecast.

As with any carving event where people are riding hard, a few bumps and bruises were had. I'm pleased to report that none of them were serious. Galen, we missed you on days 2 - 4. Dustin, it was good to see you up and about this morning even though you didn't ride.

Several of us were asked "where can I rent a rig like that" during the session. We would love to make some demo setups available for that purpose next year and will look into making it happen next year.

I have to mention how truly awesome it was to pull into the parking lot at 7:40 this morning, on the 1st day of Daylight Savings time, and see that the only other people in the entire parking lot were there for OES, despite the 40* temps and knowledge that it had rained overnight.... sore muscles, coffees in hand, and many of us on short sleep after the previous night's festivities.

There will of course be another session next season. Current plans are to add another couple of organizers for next year's event so that we can make it bigger and better. We've learned a few things from the past two seasons' OES (e.g., everyone gravitates towards Rainbow as lunchtime approaches, and people seem to wear themselves out after 3 consecutive days of hard riding) and will make the logistical changes necessary to accomodate these patterns.

Thanks again to everyone who showed up and ripped - the event is nothing without the excellent folks who participated. I haven't had this much fun since, well, last year's OES. And if anyone has comments or suggestions on what could have been done better or how to improve it for next year, please PM me.

'till next year!

P.S. The www.oregones.com will soon be updated with pix and videos. Please also visit our friend at www.finelineclub.com to see their stash from the event.

Thanks Mike and Bonnie!! Well done! Really fine group of alpine riders. I was really pleased to see "Father Time" from Northern Washington and the strong group of Idaho riders show up!!! What a great bunch of guys and gals!!

From 13 to 59 , beginners to experts , they all had a ball!! Thanks, Bryan

Props to Mike T for a well-organized and smoothly-run weekend of fun - thanks Mike!

I had to head back to Portland on Sunday morning, and as I drove through Bend, I could see Bachelor glowing under perfectly clear skies...it looked so good I almost turned around and went back to the mountain. I'm sure you guys took full advantage of the great conditions. :)

Matt and I had a great time at the OH YES!(my pronunciation of the OES) I for one learned alot about where carving is going and has gone since I was out of the carving board (but not out of hard boots)loop the last 13 years or so. Brian had me try a 185 Identity that was fun, but a little skinny for my taste. Then Mike let me ride his custom 182Coiler at Brian's and just about everyone else's recommendations .I commadeered the thing all weekend after which I left him with earnest money as I intend to buy it! Most fun I've had on a board and on a mountain(Bachelor rules for carving)in a long time.Man I miss big mountains.Matt went home with a complete setup of board,boots and bindings that Doug (owner of the most insane(252!)board I have ever seen)gave him a screamin deal on after seeing Matt take to ripping on it like he was born for it. Neither of us is going to stop riding our all mountain rigs anytime soon at Silver,but I have to say that it would be hard to want to ride anything else but a long,cheek flapping,trench digger rig at Bachelor.Anyway,we both intend to come back next year and I am hoping to return once more this season as the people I met and rode with as well as the kickass mountain and a superfun board made many great and lasting impressions on me.

Next year I intend to bring a couple of my old school trays and a neon suit to match!(well,maybe just the boards...)Oh, and I'll bring Maureen(who was on hardboots the day we met 15 years ago) the kids ,our pets and all of our belongings...

Thanks from us to Mike and Bonnie and everyone! LONG LIVE THE OH YES!

Thanks to Mike for a great weekend. Even with my injuries I had loads of fun. I do like seeing my pics on www.finelineclub.com rolling into the sled and getting hauled off the hill. I still have no memory of that????? I hope that next year I can keep my board on the snow for the whole weekend. No more medic visits.

Thanks to all

Dustin

Thanks to Mike for a great weekend. Even with my injuries I had loads of fun. I do like seeing my pics on www.finelineclub.com rolling into the sled and getting hauled off the hill. I still have no memory of that????? I hope that next year I can keep my board on the snow for the whole weekend. No more medic visits.

Thanks to all

Dustin

Dustin, so glad to hear you are ok! Pretty scary for sure!! Good thing you had your luxurious palace on wheels to recover in! Stylin!

Photos here. Let me know if you want the high res versions.

Thanks for a great few days. Mike and Bonnie, you did a great job hosting everyone. Bryan thanks for all the pictures and videos, as well as my favorite board in the line-up (Tinkler 185). My goal for the rest of the season in to tame the 196. I got to say Able set the mark. I look forward to the rest of the season, as well as riding with you all at next years OES.

Shane

D-Sub

Shane was in the vid and also was first on site after my crash later the same day.

I don't remember anything and nobody was there to witness it, but tracks in the snow look like simple weight forward, loaded up the nose. Springboard!! landed on my head, lights out for about 5-10 min. I would not recomend it

Dustin

It was saturday just below top or Rainbow chair. Darren Shane and I were headed in for lunch at about 11:30 ish. I stepped in and headed down Two turns later I was out of site of them when they crestered the little rise I was flat on my back KO'd

My head still hurts!!:sleep: