Note to New Members ×

O/T? Winter Tires

Jeffrey Day

Winter is coming and I need to get some fresh winters for my new ride! I just picked up a 2006.5 VW New GTI and the tires on the 17 inchers aren't goin' to cut it!

What kind of winter tires do you guys run? What would be your recommendations?

Should I get 17 inch winter tires and have them mounted to my VW stockers, or maybe go down to a 16 inch wheel package?

I've been kinda lookin' at some Nokians, Continentals, Pirellis... And maybe some Winterforce because they are cheap, but will they be any good.

Thanks and let the debate begin.

As I mentioned on the Subie thread, I'm a big fan of the Nokian RSI's. I have them on my '05 Outback XT. They excel on snow whether it's a fresh 6" or a bumpy hardpack. I didn't enounter much in the way of smooth ice last season - when I did I was going very slowly behind everyone else - bo they did fine there. I just put 'em on the stock rims.

When I had the road to myself on some weekday mornings with fresh snow I had to remind myself to slow down sometimes!

My previous snow tires were a set of Wild Country studded (not sure which model) on a '98 Durango. Certainly not an apples-to-apples comparison by any means but the Nokians do way more for the Subie than the WCs did for the Durango.

I might get the Nokain WR (harder rubber) for my wife's new Subie... her car will spend less % of its time on snow than mine.

I would just call TireRack and see what they have. Any good winter tire will be awesome. Check their web site, and call them. Last year when I bought winter tires for my MDX I got a better deal by calling because the guy there had access to some wheels that weren't on the web site. I think they've stopped doing steel wheels, but you can get some aluminum ones pretty cheap these days. Mine look great and its easy to change them out. Buy a torque wrench and you'll be all set to make the changes by yourself.

That car is going to kick some serious a$$ with snows on it.

On my old 92 Mazda, I had some Pirelli Winter 160 S tires (155/80R13) and these were awesome in the snow, even really big snow storms. I changed car (2000 Mazda) and since Pirelli Winter 160 S tires werent' available and were replaced by Pirelli Winter Carving, I got some (185/65R14). I was really, really disappointed. They have poor traction when starting, poor braking and poor cornering. At high speed, they are predictable (slide predictably...). These are more dry road or slush tires, but not snow tires. And it's not the car as my father has almost the same car as I do, but with Michelin Pilot Alpin tires (195/55R15) and the handling in snow is very good, even a little better than my Pirelli Winter 160 S were.

I still don't understand the good reviews on the Pirelli Winter Carving, but I don't recommend them.

Nokian. I used the WR's and they were the best snow tires I've used. Funny considering they are ranked as Nokian's "All Season" tire. I suspect the RSi is just as good, if not better, with the Hakkas better still.

I couldn't afford them last year, so I chose to use the Pirelli Sottozero. It was surprizingly good in the snow, and all-round too; especially in the rain.

Other good winter snow tires I've used: Michelin and Dunlop, from 4+years ago.

Have fun shopping; It's definitely recommended to minus size your wheels one size: I ran 16s on my WRX, and they worked awesome.

Last year Consumer Reports did a writeup on snow tires. Blizzaks had the ratings that I liked, particularly on ice. I picked up a set and I still cannot believe the stuff that I could do with them. Both ice and snow were easy to drive in with them. I honestly drove at times when I could not walk well on the ice (:smashfrea ) and these tires had good traction.

Jeff,

I have an '05 GLI (same tires as the 05 GTI and 1" larger than the '06 GTI). As an FYI, the brake calipers on these tires are huge, so you can't fit anything lower than 16". So grab a 16" set of steelies and get some tires (FYI, 16" winter tires tend to be substancially cheaper than the 17" variety).

Have fun!

-Gord

PS: I'd love to see some pics, send them via PM.

yeah, I pretty much knew that I wouldn't be able to put on 15 inch steelies. The good news is that the tirerack will have 16 inch steelies soon, but for $11.00USD more the tirerack has some closeout alloys that I think that I'm going to go with.

Thanks for the info people, and keep it coming!!!

Last year Consumer Reports did a writeup on snow tires. Blizzaks had the ratings that I liked, particularly on ice. I picked up a set and I still cannot believe the stuff that I could do with them.
Last year I was waiting on the Sunshine access road for about 45 minutes while car after car struggled to get up the hill that leads down into the parking lot. It had been freezing rain that day and the road was very slippery. Even the tractor that hauls the hay wagon full of skiers back to their cars from the gondola had slid off the road. There was a group of 8 or so guys pushing everyone up the hill. Everyone but me, my old rear-drive Mazda minivan with Blizzaks went up that hill no problem.

yeah, I pretty much knew that I wouldn't be able to put on 15 inch steelies. The good news is that the tirerack will have 16 inch steelies soon, but for $11.00USD more the tirerack has some closeout alloys that I think that I'm going to go with.

Thanks for the info people, and keep it coming!!!

I've heard that alloy wheels can have leak problems in the winter because of salt and corrosion. I cannot confirm though.

I've heard that alloy wheels can have leak problems in the winter because of salt and corrosion. I cannot confirm though.

Aluminum Corrosion? You're trying to say that STEEL wheels will pose less corrosion problems than Aluminum? Saab actually will void the warranty on your brakes if you fit steel wheels due to the corrosion of the wheel on the inside during the winter. Not to mention that steel wheels have very little venting and thus trap corrosive brake dust inside the wheel. You are much better off spending the extra 11 bones per wheel and maintaining your brake performance.

Alloy wheels do tend to lose more air, but it is not at all due to corrosion. Al alloys are more porous than steels, and that is where the leaks come from. I reccomend going to the dealer where you purchased the car and asking them for some reccomendations.

You're definitley looking in the right direction with Nokian and Pirelli. I have Goodyear Eagle Ultra Traction M & S on all four wheels of my Saab and they have been performing very well for 2 years now. They hold traction very well in snow and once they do break loose, they are VERY predictable which as you all know is a good thing in a tire. This year I'm planning on getting a set of Nokians though.

Happy hunting.

________

Yamaha ybr 125

Not all wheel are aluminium, there lots of magnesium wheels (hence the name mags). Pretty much everywhere that I read, painted steel wheels corrode slower than alloy wheels due to the salt. If you have no salt on your roads (sand and gravel instead), then you may get different results.

Hey Jeff,

I'm using the Dunlap Winter Sport M3 on my WRX. Put them on at 2K and never took them off.. Four winters, 60k later and I'm finally looking to replace them with another set(still have legal tread, just not snow depth anymore).

HIGHS- great traction, V-speed rating(most snows are lower rated), Great mileage(try 60k with a blizzack), good dry handling...

LOWS- not the best on pure ice? A little noisy in the dry, initial cost a little higher?(offset by the continuous use for four years...).

Disclaimer: I might drive above legal speeds often, always overload gear in the winter, change oil every 8k or so, and rotate the tires every 10k or every other oil change.

Congrats on the new ride! Good luck with the tire choices.

Think Snow!

-Paul

Hey Jeff,

I'm using the Dunlap Winter Sport M3 on my WRX. Put them on at 2K and never took them off.. Four winters, 60k later and I'm finally looking to replace them with another set(still have legal tread, just not snow depth anymore).

HIGHS- great traction, V-speed rating(most snows are lower rated), Great mileage(try 60k with a blizzack), good dry handling...

LOWS- not the best on pure ice? A little noisy in the dry, initial cost a little higher?(offset by the continuous use for four years...).

Disclaimer: I might drive above legal speeds often, always overload gear in the winter, change oil every 8k or so, and rotate the tires every 10k or every other oil change.

Congrats on the new ride! Good luck with the tire choices.

Think Snow!

-Paul

Good to know, those are the tires I'm thinking about putting on my Legacy GT before it leaves the dealership. Are they still quieter than the stock wheels?

Good to know, those are the tires I'm thinking about putting on my Legacy GT before it leaves the dealership. Are they still quieter than the stock wheels?

If memory serves me right, the snows were just a different sound, not louder/quieter. The wrx wasn't really known for its quiet cabin anyways, so I'm not sure if this helps.

• 2 months later...

...I thought I'd update with my final decision. I was all set to go with the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 that Paulk had recommended...No longer made with limited availability. Bummer. So I went with the M3s' replacement: the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D. The rubber compound of the 3D feels softer than that of the M3, so we'll have to see how quickly they will wear down. Hopefully not as fast as some of the Blizzacks!

Hey Jeff, how are you? Nice VW! I just splurged on a set of Nokian Hakka rsi's for my STI. I bought them without seeing them in person and wow, sipe-o-rama and soft. I have little doubt that winter performance will be great, just wondering about longevity. I have not mounted them yet as it's not quite full on winter here in Minnesota yet, but I am anxious to see how the ride is. Tom

Nice new snow tires! Now I know why it hasn't snowed in the northeast for the last few weeks.....When is Killington gonna open? I should have skipped my new tire purchase and bought a ticket to go out west instead(are we better riders?)...LOL

I was having runout issues with the tires I just mounted, weird vibrations during the first 1000 miles, They finally broke in over the last two weeks though, and they go like mad thru all the rain we've gotten.:)

Goodyear Assurance 205/55R16 M+S!!!!

I LOVE THESE!! and I know I am a girl and stuff but I DID do some research and when I bought them they had an 80k mile warantee thing. They've also got a triple-tred pattern for ice rain and snow and they have done absolutely wonderful on my 2.5RS (Subaru Impreza)... unfortunately they did not keep my ex from banking the car into snow but he is also now my ex.... they also didn't help when my brakes froze up, but its ok, I didn't hit the car in front of me, and when I did that 270 in the middle of an intersection is S. Lake Tahoe? No problem!!!

Seriously though, these are awesome tires and the only time I've ever needed to put chains on was when I would watch 4wd trucks also slide out on the road in front of me so I wasn't alone!! ..that wasn't serious

Sorry I got excited about my tires.. they grip the road, I feel safe with them and trust them, and have never had a problem (other than the above which involved poor judgement or other) with them. I do a lot of snow driving for ski team and pleasure weekends and visiting my Dad in Vermont. They tred pattern is also pretty and cool to space out at for a while. :1luvu: