Note to New Members ×

O/T? Winter Tires

Jeffrey Day

From what I read on BF Goodrich's site, I doubt that the Mud Terrain is appropriate for winter driving. I don't know about the Goodyear Wrangler because there is too much models to say. The main issue with winter driving is not snow, but low temperatures and ice. Lots of people thinks that new all season tires or off road tires are good for winter because of the unused threads or the big blocks (respectively), but it is not the case. Winter driving requires a compound that stays elastic or soft at lower temperatures, which is not the case for all season and off road tires. They may have a soft compound, but it does not mean that it will stay soft in winter temperatures. This means that all season and off road tires can easily slip in cold weather, even without ice.

I got my opinion about the MTs in snow off of Tirerack.com's review section. They got an 8.3 out of 10 for light snow traction and an 8.9 out of 10 for deep snow traction with 8.3 million miles reported so far.

I formulated the opinion of the wranglers from personal experience driving in snowstorms.

Like I said before though, by far the best snow tires I've driven are the Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip M+S though, they grip like you're driving on sandpaper and if they do break loose, they're really predictable as to what they'll do and when they'll hook back up. I know about what makes a good winter tire, Im just excited to be able to go out in heavy snow this year since I haven't had more than 6" of ground clearance yet.

Once upon a time I packed up all of my belongings and moved to CO. I was driving over Wolf Creek pass in my 1973 "rear-wheel-drive-big-drum-brake" Ford LTD sedan thru an effin blizzard. Imagine the biggest battleship of a 70's car you can think of. The car had enough room to sleep 5 people across the hood with an engine bigger than some cars. Every pickup, SUV, AWD car etc. passed me on my way up the pass. I had chains on and took it slow.

On my way down the pass I think I saw every SOB that passed me either facing the wrong direction in the opposite lane, rolled over into a ditch, sideways and sunk into a snowbank or crumpled into the car that was in front of it. There were literally a half dozen accidents on my way down. That rear wheel drive, tank lasted me 2 years in the Rockies until the altitude finally gave the carb too much crap. I used to take it thru the dirt "roads" behind Snowmass, bouncing down the side of the ski slopes.

I have no point, just sharing my OT non-snow tire story.

I have had the Good Year Wrangler MT/R's on my Dodge truck for the last two years and I have nothing but good things to say about them. I just picked up a new set from the tirerack last week and will have them mounted soon. We had some record snowfall around Tahoe the last two years and those tires were always great in all conditions from deep snow to ice.

Tirerack.com rates them 9.0 for light snow and 9.3 for deep snow.