Note to New Members ×

how fast can u go??

Guest tigger

set the record!!!!!!!!

do u know these speed traps in some skiingresorts? where you can pick up speed on a closed lane of the slope an your speed is shown on a display.

i had some fun there, but couldnt get my speed over 70 kmh, but as the slope wasnt very steep, and it was much to warm, i t:p

i think i already was somewhere arond 90kmh (just felt like compared to the 70 kmh measured and the 85 kmh i expierienced on my roadbike) but there is still a huge gap to the guy who went 220 kmh :eek: , correct me if not!

where is your highspeed? any serious informations?how does it feel above 100 kmh?

phil

ps. sorry, i dont know how to calculate with miles and kmh, but i ll find out!

... I know that the mountain where I usually ride (Hunter Mtn, NY) has a "speed weekend" - where they have what you called a "speed trap". The fastest snowboarder I saw there was doing somewhere around 73 MPH (1 mile = 1.609 KM) or about 177 KMH. 220 kmh - that's probably on skis . . . :)

I never bothered to find out how fast I'm going in terms of miles or kilometers because my only concern is that I go fast enough to scare myself enough to get the adrenaline pumping . . . :)

Cheers,

Stan

Originally posted by NMU Alpine Boarder

No, actually the 220 KPH speed wasw set on a snowboard. I don't know who, when, or where, but iff you ever see the description for a Volkl Renn Tiger, it'll say "The only snoboard ridden to the amazing speed of 125 MPH".

220 kph is 137.5 mph. 125 mph is 200 kph.

I suspect most of us are going slower than we think we are. I'd bet I've never been over 70 kph (~44 mph), and I blow by most everybody on the hill.

If we talking about carved turns, then according to graph in this article (http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/physics.cfm) (BTW, Jack? Fin? this article suffered from conversion, some text is duplicated) I can make max. ca. 11 m/s (ca. 40 km/h or 24.5 mph) on carved turns, on 16 m sidecut board max. speed would be 15 m/s. Of course going straight could result in bigger speeds, but this is not the intended way of board's usage :)

BTW, Maximum speed on board is AFAIK little above 200 km/h (or 125 mph) I found one article http://www.bulgariaski.com/snowboarding.shtml) about it, perhaps there is new record done in meanwhile, but I don't think, that it would be much higher anyway.

Guest Randy S.

I have a radar gun. I bought it last season for the exact purpose this thread is exploring. Unfortunately we didn't get much of a chance to really use it in a controlled environment. I did get to 61mph on an open trail on my 163 RT SL board. I know I've gone faster than that. A 163 gets a little squirrelly at 60mph.

Ironically I was just coming over here to post a question about whether anyone knows of a place for info on Speed Snowboarding set up and equipment. I have a 210 Donek on the way, but I'm wondering what kind of angles people run when trying to do nothing but go straight and push the envelope. Any experience out there?

I'd be willing to loan my Radar gun for ECES if you want. You can buy a decent one online pretty cheap. Also, a friend who is into Speed Skiing and lives in Truckee was planning to set up a speed course at Northstar this season. If we get it set up, I'll post something here. He's friendly with the Race Director who said we could do it (the challenge might be finding the right place on the hill for it).

Les Arcs in France and Sun Peaks in BC have events. However, the one at Sun Peaks appears to be open only to skiers, not snowboarders.

Anyone who wants to come to Alpine Meadows this winter can track me down. I'll always have the radar gun in my equipment bag and be willing to have a go at speed. There are a couple of runs that work well for early morning speed trials, as long as we have someone to hold the gun and someone to discourage skiers from cutting us off for a few seconds.

If you have info on equipment and setup, please post. I know that pros wear rubberized suits and farings. I don't know how appropriate fairings would be on a snowboard. Also, I don't want to invest in one of those crazy helmets. I have a full face and it will have to do.

I managed to go 99.1 kph with my wife on our tandem bicycle this summer. Towing a trailer too. Upsalquitch hill in New Brunswick on our way to Gaspe. Five kilometer descent starting with 6% grade steepening to 12% at bottom. spooky fast!

On a board I would guess I've been up to 60 or 70k but a radar gun might prove me wrong.

I would guess on snow it would be in the high sixties

when I was about 12 me and a couple friends would laydown on our skate decks and go down a hill in our town its amazing none of us got hurt one day a guy that was behind in a car said that the slowest of us was going a little over 40

of course we had no helmets or anything like that

on this same hill a kid busted his hip when he tried to make the corner at the bottom of the hill onto another road missed it and hit the curb flew about 20 ft hitting the side of a building

Guest Pre School Rider

The tool has to be one of the 1989-90 Burton LongComp Safari's.They had beveled bases/edges at the tip and tail to reduce 'edge snag',dual cambered areas to allow for front/rear foot deflection and weight shifts,and a quadratic sidecut that my Dad (an Engineer by trade) figured on being in the 22M - 24M arena when used 'in full',and somewhere around 40M if lightly pressured at the tip/tail.They also boasted Graphite bases,and plenty of width,so very little pressure was needed over a large but slick surface.I actually got used to riding mine at Okemo at speeds easily in the low 60's (that's MPH,not KPH) after owning it a few years. I've made the top-to-bottom run in under 2 minutes there with the 205. However,all that those boards were could easily be out done by a number of companies that make boards in the over-180cm class. The Volkl that was used for the record was a RennTiger GS,so go figure that IF another company that made bigger,more stable boards could figure out the dampening needed,tuning requirements,get a fast base,and had a rider comfy with haulin' cookies (JG? Are you seeing this?) ,the current record could be eclipsed. Aero is the "other" big factor here. Take a good long look at Downhill Skateboarding,where Jeans and a leather jacket have given way to Ledingham Helmets and Speed Suits made of Kevlar and leather.The intent is clear,push the air aside CLEANLY,then deal with turns later. I think it can indeed be done,and I'll even offer this tidbit; A 'famous Ski Racer' did some wind-tunnel tests awhile back,and came up with a new Tuck for snowboarders (and by happy coincidence,Skateboarders,too) that puts the "Hut" tuck outa the picture. If I wasn't married,heck I'd go try,but my wife would KILL Me for it!

hy guys, funny discussion:p

i found the world record guy now to, his name is darren powell and he is an aussie! he went 202 kmh or 126 miles in les arcs, thats where those crazy guys from HARD ATTACK tried to kill themselves.

speed kicks

philipp

ps you gotto post the results of the radar pistol!!!!:D

Guest Randy S.

PSR,

Where can I find a picture/video of that tuck? I'm also curious about what you think of possible binding angles/cants for such a pursuit.

When I lived in France, we had a KL (stands for Kilometre Lancee ~ flying kilometer) course there. Snowboarding was new at the time ('86) so none of the existing boards were useful. However, a guy who worked in the bar with me got ahold of a 240cm monoski. He managed to strap himself to it in a snowboard configuration, rather than mono. Things went reasonably well for the first couple hundred meters. Then wind got under the board and it started bouncing back and forth (side to side). He crashed through the timing lights at about 120kph! He showed up in the bar that night with his shoulder in a sling and burns on his backside. Pretty memorable.

I don't really want to invest in a rubberized suit and all the faring crap for this silly pursuit. However, I do have a DH race suit and full-face helmet so I'm game to try some runs. Alpine Meadows, where I ride regularly, grooms a section of a bowl periodically for avy prevention. It takes 2 winch-cats to do it. When they are done, it is the perfect KL track. Only challeng is the run-out has some undulations in it and people will be coming down the run-out. I think it is do-able though. I just need enough of a support team to run interference on the traffic and someone to hold the gun. As it happens, the run is right next to the Summit 6-pak lift so I'll have lots of witnesses to my folly. Hopefully my kids won't be on the lift when I try it. My 6-year old daughter will be asking when she can try (I can hear it now).

Anyway, let me know your thoughts on the angles/cant thing and whether you can point me to pix of the tuck, or just a good description. I need to experiment a bit with setup. I find it hard to get a setup that gives me totally neutral weight distribution in full tuck. It is much easier to be turning slightly one way or the other when in a tuck.

Originally posted by Baka Dasai

Just to put that 220 km/h top speed in perspective, a skydiver's terminal velocity (assuming a spread-eagled position with parachute closed) is about <a href="http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml">190 km/h to 200 km/h</a>.

Snowboarding faster than free-fall!

Well, not quite. The numbers that you cite in your post require a lot of qualification. Without getting into it, the top speed of a skydiver (in competition) to date, is 494.37km/h.

However, the speed I just gave does not include training jumps made by sport skydivers or anything that the military has tried. In the 60s, the US military dropped a man from a weather balloon (102, 800 feet) and his body came close to breaking the speed of sound at 614 MILES per hour!

Still, 220km/h on a board is damn fast!

If memory serves, Randy clocked me at 51 when I visited Tahoe last year. I don't think I've ever been over 50 other than that run... and probably not over 40.

I suspect my usual 'fast' cruising runs are about 25 or so, perhaps less, yet still it's very rare that people pass me on the slope. It's kinda funny how fast 50 feels on a board, compared to, for example, a motorcycle.

When I did slalom racing I was in the middle of the pack on a board, and not very below the top on skis, but I'm sure even the fastest guys were well under 25. GS, SG, or DH racing would surely be a lot faster though.

• 2 years later...
http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/1-24-2005-64744.asp

Makes me chuckle when I read this kinda stuff.

Read the article this part was the best IMHO

Alpine snowboarding is generally done on hard packed snow or groomed runs. Hard packed snow usually isn't good for snowboarding but is exceptional for high speeds, the heart of alpine snowboarding. With other styles of snowboards maneuverability is impossible on this type of terrain. Thanks to the aggressiveness of the edge of the alpine snowboard, fast, snappy control is the least of your problems.

Clocked at Mount St. Louis/Moonstone (a dinky little Ontario hill), tucking it on an intermediate run. Kind of surprised me. I didn't think I was going that fast. It didn't feel that scarey or uncomfortable. On non-speed runs, I was averaging 60km/h. Again, surprising.

The tool in question was a Coiler Racecarve 174 and it was super stable. A buddy of mine tried the same run on a Hot Blast 185 and said it felt squirrelly. He got up to about 75km/h.

post-199-141842207153_thumb.jpg

Clocked at Mount St. Louis/Moonstone (a dinky little Ontario hill), tucking it on an intermediate run. Kind of surprised me. I didn't think I was going that fast. It didn't feel that scarey or uncomfortable. On non-speed runs, I was averaging 60km/h. Again, surprising.

The tool in question was a Coiler Racecarve 174 and it was super stable. A buddy of mine tried the same run on a Hot Blast 185 and said it felt squirrelly. He got up to about 75km/h.

Wow at MSLM??? :eek::eek: That's just scary....