Note to New Members ×

lift line comments

zachp13

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few weeks ago I heard a trayrider tell his skiing buddy that I was riding a "speed" board.IMHO, a Purecarve Maverick 175 isn't a speed board. I think CMC's Donek 210 qualifies as a "speed" board.(1st place Ernie Reality 70.*** mph 1st time he has achieved that speed in nine years of doing the event).

What the hell was Ernie riding? JEEEEsus!:eek:

Originally posted by freerider26

I am thinking about switching to hardboots myself. I have ridden a long time in soft boots. What is the biggest thing you notice when you make the switch?

I just made the switch last Christmas (12/2002), and this is what I noticed:

1) My ankles didn't bend any more. This made me feel 2 inches taller, but only on my toeside, since the edge would engage immediately instead of the ankles flexing a little as I put the toeside edge in.

2) Counterrotating a heelside turn (esp. when skidding to a stop) in advanced angles and hard boots made my back knee hurt, so don't do it!

3) It was hard to get my weight forward, since bending my knees in advanced angles put my butt over the tail of the board instead of sideways over the heelside edge, like it does in softboots.

4) After 2-3 days of riding I was approximately as competent on hardboots as I was in softboots (except not where quick, nimble movements, like jump turns in steeps or trees, are necessary)

5) After 4-5 days of riding I noticed that hardbooting was the best thing ever, of all time. When you get you get your first hard, low, smooth heelside carve at high speed, you'll be hooked forever - no joke. I'm almost, almost unhappy when it dumps 3 feet of fresh powder, because it means I don't get to go carving and I have to dig the softies out and ride untracked powder. What kind of screwed up, sick snowboarder am I now?

Originally posted by freerider26

I am thinking about switching to hardboots myself. I have ridden a long time in soft boots. What is the biggest thing you notice when you make the switch?

The hardest part was trusting the equipment. Alpine boards turn like nothing else you've skied, ridden, or driven. The biggest adjustment I had to make was coming to grips with the fact that, yes, I CAN turn that hard and the board will NOT come out from under me.

Guest freerider26

thanks for the advice. I am thinking of using hard boots on a freeride board like a Donek Wide 169. I don't know why, but I have just become interested in trying hard boots. I got a pair of Burton Drivers this year and like how they feel so stiff, so I got to thinking that maybe hard boots would be even better. Well, maybe it is time to make the switch.

mark

Two of us on plates yesterday...got this from a liftie right before the chair picked us up:

"Oh, you've got those....cool things..."

I'm also hearing "downhill board" used a lot, though my response to that is, "Actually, it's an across the downhill board"... :D

joe...

I've heard that too, Joe, "Downhill board" I guess they get that from racing.

Hey Freerider, I started in softies on a Burton Canyon about 4 years ago and only rode it about ten days before switching to hardboots and a carving board. The Canyon with softies wasn't all that much fun, I hated the slop and felt there had to be something better.

Anyway, last season we had some powder, and after not riding the Canyon for three years I decided, just for fun, to put some plate bindings on it and and ride it with hardboots just to see what would happen.

I was surprised; It was way more fun than it ever was on softies, it did all the stuff a soft freeride board does, but with a lot more contol and precision. Try hardboots for some all-mountain riding on your board, I bet you'll like it.

Guest woodman

My 8 year son and I have heard quite a few comments over the last 2 seasons of riding together. Sunday's big laugh for the day was "hey is that a one-ski?" We always poke fun at one another during the week by using the various terms we've heard. My son thinks that people calling them "monoski's" is hilarious, but that's now been replaced with the "one-ski" comment:D My personal favorite is when someone says "oh ya, thats an old form of snowboarding" I love to point out that, no it's the highest evolved form of snowboarding:D We should have a section here for all the different things people have called our sport.

Have fun on your one-ski!

Paul

My favorite comment/answer has happened a few times this season involving the Burner I bought this year....

THEM: Hey look at that board/ski/thing...what is that......hey man what is that...is that a snowboard?????

ME: Yes it is, it's an alpine/race/carving board

THEM: why does it have a split down the tail?????

ME: oh..that....well I bought this board and then thought I would rather have a pair of skis...sooo...I started to cut the board in half to make my own skis and...well.. decided it wouldn't be a good idea....so I just left it that way....

THEM: really?!?!?!? huh.....

ME: :D

EDIT ~ although 95% of the time I do refer folks to Bomber for info....

Originally posted by Kent

What ever happened to the response.....

"It's a race board, dude! Easy to learn, can buy equipment for cheap on ebay, and can rails turns like nothing else.....check out Bomberonline for details.....I gotta run, having too much fun"

That's my stock response (except I call it a carving or alpine board so people don't think they need to be really good at snowboarding to learn it). Also, I try to bring up the fact that I rode softies for 6 years until just recently, and that I still take the softies out on powder days so that there is some affinity between me and the all-mountain or freestyle rider asking me about the equipment.

If people are really interested in getting others interested in hardbooting (esp. in the long run), I recommend riding at small, family-friendly hills. I hide out at this tiny hill with maybe 300ft of vert when I know it's going to be crowded for a holiday or something, and I get asked all the time (like 20 times a day) about what I'm riding, 5-6 of whom want to know where to get the equipment. There seems to just be so many factors about a small hill that makes it really conducive to that spreading the word. There are a low number of stereotypical park monkeys - all the freestylers are either just learning or are egoless enough to be seen drilling on technique at a family resort, and both of those kinds of freestylers are friendly and not afraid to be interested. There's only one lift and you have to ride within view of it, so over the course of 2 runs everybody on the hill has seen you carve already. The overall skill level of the skiiers and riders is low enough that even a moderately competent carver like me is doing something noticeably more awesome than almost everybody else out there. Because there's only one real lift it's easy for people to catch up to you or wait for you if they want to ask you questions. And at family resorts it seems like everybody is pleasant to talk to.

Anyways, give it a shot. I hide there because the grooming is good and there are no crowds, but as a side effect, I direct about a dozen people here every weekend I go there (not because I wanted to tell them, but because they asked). I'm not sure how many people actually make it here, but it certainly can't hurt.

Mostly I get "woah, is that a race board" and general positive stuff. Don't think anyone's ever been rude. Perhaps I just don't think like a victim;)

If anyone asks about the machine, I just say that it's like a normal snowboard only faster. I haven't quite figured out how to say: "and you could ride one too - say 'no' to sideslipping before it's too late".

To somewhat echo MellowYellow's post - sometimes people ask me what happened to the tail of my board (Oxygen Proton). For thoise not riding it - the tail is square with a half-circle cut in the middle of the tail - think SEVERELY flattened-out "Omega".

I tell them (as deadpan as I can manage) that I BARELY escaped a hungry bear . . . and that the encounter was close enough to cost me a piece of the board . . .

:D

----everyday i hear some kind of comment----from what the hell is that?? are those ski boots??? why isnt the backend curved up?? wow that board looks cool(184 coiler pure race---thx Bruce---real head turner--black --blue flames with cateks)--you sure can rip that on edge --looks like a real rush???.....Its hard for me not to smile and go on how wicked carving is but if i go on too much i wont have the groomers to myself and a few hardcore buds :)---had the best comment the other day you guys will love this--some older guy on soft boots says to me in the lift line---so what runs you wrecking today----i reply all of them---lol---im up there 5-6 days a week( i though he was joking turns out he was pissed )---then the a==hole goes on yelling that we should be banned for carving trenches on perfectly good groomers--thats when i smiled and knew i had taken my riding to a whole new level!!!

Snowboarder in lift line with strong pulse and responsive pupil movements (sign of brain activity),

"So, is that like snowboarding?"

My actual reply was very kind and subtle but evangalistic of carving.

My fantasy reply was,

"Just like snowboarding, but, with skill."

skiboard is common for me to hear. Every once in a while i'll run into a guy that is truly into snowboarding for himself and none of the hype that so many others are influenced by. There are quite a few of these guys who are interested in switching to alpine, but dont know where to look for gear. I do the right thing and fill them in on bomber online, but i wonder how many actually follow through.

I recommend riding at small, family-friendly hills. I hide out at this tiny hill with maybe 300ft of vert

riding at small places in the midwest draws a lot of attention to anyone who stands out, which isnt hard, and most main lifts run parallel to some of the best runs for carving. exposure is huge, and every once in a while i'll even hear some hick cheering me on while im riding. the best part is that they have no idea what the hell the thing is attached to my feet yet they still think its sweet.