Note to New Members ×

Have you ever had your alpine board stolen?

Jack M

Have you ever had your alpine board stolen?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever had your alpine board stolen?

• Yes, once.
    • Yes, more than once.
    • Never.

Never had a deck stolen.

I seldom lock mine at my home mountain, but almost always do when away.

At my home mountain, my board is seldom unattended, and then only outside the Patrol shack at the top of the mountain. There are not that many culprits who could jump on and ride away with it from there. :D

When I was a snowboard rep for Winterstick in 90's (during the first gold rush days of the snowboard industry), I was able to get a bro deal on this Proton from the one of my accounts in SLC.

It's a 172cm Oxygen Proton with a titanal topsheet, and looks like a big samurai katana when I bring it out of my board bag... The all silver topsheet just blinds them just as I get my first cut in.

I had it out in the Spring corn with Boris Blue B yesterday morning as we carved it up on our local hill Cypress Mountain. Nice trench laying, even for Spring!

George

It's a 172cm Oxygen Proton with a titanal topsheet, and looks like a big samurai katana when I bring it out of my board bag...

George

To quote Slashdot: This post is worthless without photos! :p

Let's see that bad boy!

I'll try and get pics of my quiver, but I'll need someone's help in posting them on this board.

To say I'm digitally challenged would be an understatement - I bet I'm the only Asian in Vancouver who can't get his VCR to stop flashing the "12:00" sign....

George

I'll help you out on pic posting, bro! Just email them to me...

I'd help you to get rid of that Proton too, if you ever wanted to part with it ;) Gosh, that thing does look like a sword of some kind, with 18cm (or narrower?) waist and all metalic... And it moves with the speed of a katana, too.

George rides reg, and me goofy, so I didn't try his toy, but I was drolling all over it...

Back to topic - I never had my boards stollen, and I do not lock them at Cypress. But then, they are not as atractive as the katana-Oxy.

I'll try and get pics of my quiver, but I'll need someone's help in posting them on this board.

To say I'm digitally challenged would be an understatement - I bet I'm the only Asian in Vancouver who can't get his VCR to stop flashing the "12:00" sign....

George

I hope you have Japanese heritage, at least, flashing your big samurai sword around...

I have a guaranteed cure for the flashing VCR-it's called a DVD player..... :D

I just take a hand grenade and pull the pin and then slide it into an empty tin can. Then I take some string and tie one end to the grenade and one end to my board. Then I bury the can and grenade in the snow just so that a light tug on the string will pull the grenade free from the can. Then I stand about 150 feet away and just watch with an eager grin on my face. I've been doing this for about 9 years and I have yet to see some punk thief get blowed up. Dammit! Don't these young kids know what an alpine board is worth?

Actually, I just use a cable lock and I make sure I loop it through one of the bails on each binding 'cause I'm just as paranoid of somebody yoinking one of my OS2s if it wasn't also secured as I am of some body taking my whole setup if I didn't lock that.

Forget about the booby-trapped hand grenade- just place a Claymore Anti-Personnel mine in front of the rack with the "This Face towards the Enemy" side out....

As for my big Oxy-Katana - I'm reminded of the scene in

"The Color of Money" when Vincent (Tom Cruise) takes out Eddie's (Paul Newman) newly bestowed upon custom pool cue out for a spin at the local pool hall...

"What's in the case, kid?"

"Doom," says Vincent with a sly grin, "Pure doom".

• 5 months later...

i know i'm reviving a dead topic/poll here, but out of 61 replies, only ONE person has had a board stolen??

That's pretty impressive. I've never had a board stolen either, but then again, up until last year, i had the BEST protection system ever.

I was using the POS (piece of $hit) system...

now, that I actually have some boards of value, I'm actually kind of paranoid about it. I'm almost thinking i should invest into buying a lock.

board check ins are just a pain, although it'll only take one time to make you wish you did it.

i think the best solution to this problem is to not stop snowboarding until you're ready to leave the mountain, and hence never undo your bindings. not that it's really a problem, since only one person has lost a board.

Bordy showed up at The Canyons with several boards one day and when we got off the gondola at Red Pine Lodge he pulled out a big ass chain and a three pound lock from out of his jacket to lock up the boards. It had me laughing enough to remember.

Not sure how to answer. I've never had a square tail board stolen. I did have a Rossi Levitation with plate bindings stolen from my garage once. Does that count? Never on mountain.

If I bring two boards to the hill (and don't leave one in the car) I either leave one at the ski check or lock it to the rack. If I'm just going in for lunch, I never lock it.

Always used the community racks. Never had any problems. I didn't even know what a "board check in" was until I rode in Aspen. They don't have that stuff down here to my knowledge.

I'm somewhat paranoid and keep my eye on the board as best I can.

Also can somebody explain to me how you use board locks? Do you loop the cable through the bindings? If so wouldn't somebody just be able to leave the lock+bindings behind and run off with the board? I guess that would minimize the damage but you're still out a board (usually the most expensive part of the setup). But then again I don't know many people with 5mm hex wrenches handy to unscrew my TD's either...

But then again I don't know many people with 5mm hex wrenches handy to unscrew my TD's either...

and you can stuff some snow in those hexes so they strip the screws instead (or so it's been said here many times before)... :eplus2::eplus2:

drill a hole in your board maybe:freak3: and run the cable through there? haha

I lock my gear all the time. Usually, I have multiple sets of gear/friends with me, so I sometimes use a couple locks and lock all the gear together to a ski/board rack.

The locks are easilly defeated, but it gives me some more piece of mind.

Though I've never had a board stolen, I have had a ski pole stolen. yup, ONE ski pole, at a mid-mountain station in Vail. Go figure ... that was before I started locking gear, back in the "separate the skis/poles" days of lunching.