Note to New Members ×

Apex Plates Summer Sale

Atom Ant

This happening?   Anyone got an inside line?

The overall experience with Apex hasn't been great, I feel, over the last few years.  Still great products, but the lack of customer appreciation / service makes me want to look for other options.

I just want a pair of geckos, guys!

Are you talking about the 2017 summer sale banner which is on the site?

One might deduce that communication isn't one of Jason's stronger points. If you want the information you seek, it might be worth your time calling and/or emailing him (many times).

I have a set of Geckos which I don't use any longer and was helped greatly by the owner of Apex to get them, but not the current owner.

Prior owner was great.  Jason, I'm sure he's a nice enough guy... But come on.  Niche market.  Prices all around the same for these products and a pretty affluent customer base.  This is what sinks these businesses.

Many emails already, no response.

I recently spoke to someone who visited Jason, he said that stock is on hand and orders are being fulfilled. Not sure if that helps.

You could just place an order, I guess. Other than that, it's just an exercise of holding your breath.

I bought a new Apex X-Plate last fall.  I placed the order through https://www.apexsnowboard.com/x-plate/. I immediately followed it up with an email.  Jason responded right away and I had the plate in short order.  I would shop there again.

There was a time that their website had been hacked and if you went to the http site and not the https site (or vice versa?) you got redirected to some spam site.  Looks like that's been fixed.

I love the plate.  I'd recommend it to any advanced carver looking for "the next big thing" in their gear setup.

They make great products, absolutely no argument there.  That said, I have (and many others I have bench marked with) had fairly lackluster / crappy purchasing experiences with Apex under current ownership.  I am simply pointing out that, from an averaging standpoint, it seems to skew towards "poor" or "mediocre".

In a niche business / sport such as this one, that is an essential aspect of a business's operation and reputation that should be removed.

• Like 1

I would be surprised if running Apex is Jason's only job.  Apex serves a niche (plate riders) within our ridiculously niche sport.  I'm not saying there's any excuse for taking way too long to respond or deliver, or failure to do so, but this market can't be compared with mainstream markets.  Anyway, I had a great experience.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:59 AM, Jack M said:

I would be surprised if running Apex is Jason's only job.  Apex serves a niche (plate riders) within our ridiculously niche sport.  I'm not saying there's any excuse for taking way too long to respond or deliver, or failure to do so, but this market can't be compared with mainstream markets.  Anyway, I had a great experience.

My previous communication experience in other niche markets with other owner/manager kinds has always been better, faster, more knowledgeable, more passionate and more personalised than any customer service in a mainstream market.

Don't get me wrong, I've probably owned more Apex products than anyone here except Henry but right now it is in a sorry state. I gave up long ago when I had a similar experience to @Atom Ant. And the redirect persists on the site(s) as of a couple of days ago.

My previous communication experience in other niche markets with other owner/manager kinds has always been better, faster, more knowledgeable, more passionate and more personalised than any customer service in a mainstream market.

100% cosigned. 

Let's stop making excuses for bad service, bad products, embezzlement, etc in a niche sport like this.  It is permissive, and ultimately it degrades the longevity of this already nearly dead aspect of board riding.  This area is expensive enough to create a massive barrier to entry for the average rider to begin with, not to mention in some sense they are being asked to essentially learn to ride anew on top of forking out major coin on equipment (even if purchased used).  Throwing in crappy customer experience is not a boon to this dynamic.  

I understand this might not be his day job--boo freakin' hoo.  Gradually people will take their business elsewhere (including away from hardbooting / carving) and you lose your investment... and we lose another manufacturer of cool shit.  

I think the community needs to demand a higher standard.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if Apex is still in business?  I placed an order in July, was billed and emailed a receipt, as one would expect, and then ....nothing.  No product and no response to multiple emails and phone calls. Just crickets. I know there 's probably SOME delay associated with summer but a little love would be nice.

@Atom Ant Same thing with me. I ordered some gecko carves back in July and haven't heard anything. I was assuming that it would be ordered later as the preorders say things are sent out in November? I know the info is very old so idk? I just want my geckos and dont want to have to call my credit card to get this refunded.

It is just piss poor customer service, assuming there is any to begin with (along with an actual business).  

I purchased risers from Jasey, who has never given me bad equipment (or advise) and is incredibly communicative.  He might miss a few shipping windows from time to time (in which case he always makes it right) but usually that is due to his WC schedule.  Highly recommend.  

Apex should rightfully go out of business based on the majority of respondents to this thread.  I hope the don't, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised.

• 3 weeks later...