Note to New Members ×

SG Performance Bindings

The things I like about these bindings over the F2s:

the beefy center disk, solid like a puck

4nuJU2z.jpg

how the heel and toe pieces are bolted to the plate from the underneath the base plate so you wouldn't have to take out the lift/cant shims and move the bail

7hNGj8g.jpg

the entire underside of the base plate is covered by rubber

18zgUfZ.jpg

Gonna be testing it soon.

• Like 2

I’ve been on F2 race Ti’s for a couple of seasons, and have about 10 days on a set of this year’s SGs.

The new double T-nut in the toe and heel blocks means that you no longer have to disassemble the block to change sizes, another huge improvement over F2 and last year’s SG. 

Overall fit and finish of the SGs is head and shoulders above the F2s. Don’t get me wrong, the F2s are great bindings, but it’s like comparing a Chevy to a Mercedes. The machining on the SGs is top-notch, and other small things like the plastic center disks are easier to install & remove while having a much more solid feel when seated.

Some might say all this is overkill, but if you’re going to own a binding for 10+ years, the price difference pales over time if you’re “detail oriented” like me.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yamifumi said:

did you get the SG bindings??? How do you like it?  

Got the SG binding.  Took it out for maiden voyage today.
I should have leave everything the same as on my F2 titanium to compare it apple to apple.
But I am an undiscipline idiot.  Throw on cant in there; if it's good for Sigi it's good for me lol...  <-- this is what not to do.

FWIW:  It's been 2+ weeks since I last ride and condition are a bit choppy/icy.

Feel it's a more rigid binding but in a good way.  Like a good suspension; rigid but not harsh.
Didn't realized how "wobbly" the titanium was(my was getting long in the tooth).
Fit/finish are excellent.  Ridding through chop seems "easier"? 

When I first get on it:  A couple time I carved myself to a stall on shallower trail which tell me maybe more direct/faster of input?
But on chopy/late date snow it seem to also damping?

it could all be placebo effect...  it didn't make things worse so in my book that's always a plus 🙂

Thank you for being the trail blazer for us!

3 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Throw on cant in there; if it's good for Sigi it's good for me lol...

Jasey Jay Anderson rides with flat cants using F2 cnc bindings...

Not gonna lie, this is the reason why I switched to flat cant! If it's good enough for jja...... 

LOL... blind hero worshipping have gotten me pretty far in life.
Was running pure toe/heel lift for a long while and this is the first time try canting.
I am not "sensitive" to setup changes:  meaning can't tell know the change I made is "good" or "bad" off the bat. 
It will take me weeks to conclude what change does, the pro/con of it.  Under what condition it works.

my lazy-ness philosophy:  Try no to optimized for a particular condition but generally good enough setting for all condition.  

On 1/13/2019 at 11:39 AM, yamifumi said:

@charliechocolate, did you get the SG bindings??? How do you like it?

My verdict is that they're no better or worse than F2s as far as the ride is concerned. In a blind  test, I probably won't be able to tell them apart. But, if you want better materials and bindings that are easier to set up, these win hands down.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Dumb Question from me:  How can we tell the bail size is 53mm or 50mm?  is it mark anywhere?

There are 2 bails option: 
Standard Bail (53mm) -- Deeluxe/UPZ
Low (NW) Bail (50mm) -- North Wave/Mountain Sport/UPZ race heel options

It seems only the heel bail is different and toe bail are the same? 
(In SG's website they are only carrying heel bail for different size and not the toe)
Can one run Deeluxe with 50mm bail?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 9:59 AM, pow4ever said:

Dumb Question from me:  How can we tell the bail size is 53mm or 50mm?  is it mark anywhere?

There are 2 bails option: 
Standard Bail (53mm) -- Deeluxe/UPZ
Low (NW) Bail (50mm) -- North Wave/Mountain Sport/UPZ race heel options

It seems only the heel bail is different and toe bail are the same? 
(In SG's website they are only carrying heel bail for different size and not the toe)
Can one run Deeluxe with 50mm bail?

You are right and only heel bail is different and toe is the same. I believe 50mm only runs with NW and all other boots utilizes 53mm. Upz won’t fit into 50mm

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 2:43 PM, Lurch said:

Has anyone used these on boots bigger than M27?Website quotes max BSL as 300mm, just wondering if there is some wiggle room.

Got a pair last week. My UPZ boots are Mondo 28.5 and they easily fit. Plenty of room on platforms to go way bigger than 28.5

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

@212swat could you confirm BSL for your boots please? I found a table that says your 'shell' is 324, but I'm not convinced that is the BSL measurement (my M29 T700s are 319).

Contact Dan Yoja at UPZ Boots. He'll have all the info you need.

yoja@upzboots.com

https://upzboots.com/shop/sg-performance-race-bail/

Edited by 212swat
  • Thanks 1

I think i figured out how to tell difference between the SG performance heel bail:
53mm (normal UPZ, Deeluxe)
50mm (Ski boots/NW)

There is a mark on the "rod" if you looked closely(probably from machine bending/grabbing).  From that mark point and measure to where the rod is connected to the plastic.  3mm is tiny but distinguishable. 

i am not a smart man hahaha...

Those of you with SG bindings and UPZ boots... Are you running heel lift block in the rear binding? Understood that it’s mostly personal preference, just curious what others are doing. Point me to the nearest bridge to jump off. 

I only have 6 days on my hardboots so far, so still developing technique and setup. I have a wider board and running lower angles (between 30-45, still tweaking), with inward cant front and rear, and toe lift on front. Early days felt more comfortable without cant in rear as the UPZ boots have significant ramp built in already.

I use heel lift in the rear foot, but I run even more lift in the front to counteract the UPZ bootramp. I don't run any cant, so I have unused cant wedges. I stack two opposing cant wedges together to make a flat stack, and put that under the lift wedge on the front foot for even more toe lift. 

Run whatever seems to work for you; everyone's got a different stance, body type, etc. At those lower angles you're more likely to need that inward cant. 

I might get flak from others for this, but I'm going to say that if you're going to try out hardbooting and carving, try starting out with a bit steeper angles, 50 front and 45 rear. The technique you're learning at those lower angles might have to be unlearned later as you move the angles up past 45 degrees. 

• 4 years later...
On 1/1/2019 at 3:11 PM, Grip said:

Any idea if it’s possible to make the SG a step in by using Intec parts from F2s?

So I've been searching around the site and haven't found a definite answer to this question that was asked 5 years ago.  I looked at the parts pics on the SG site, and the SG uppers *look* like the same mounting pattern as the F2 intec uppers.  So what's the verdict? 

SG-SNOWBOARDS-PERFORMANCE-BINDINGS4_900x1085-854x1030.jpeg

Edited by Eastsiiiide

25 minutes ago, Eastsiiiide said:

I looked at the parts pics on the SG site, and the SG uppers *look* like the same mounting pattern as the F2 intec uppers.

Don't think it'd work since the threads are on the toe blocks with SG, but on the baseplate for F2.

• Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 11:42 AM, fluxgame said:

Don't think it'd work since the threads are on the toe blocks with SG, but on the baseplate for F2.

Hmm, you could DIY modify the baseplate to do it, but without the SG uppers you'd be giving up part of the nice SG binding design: essentially you'd be paying a premium just for a nicer baseplate and center disk. 

Edit: One could almost do it by enlarginating the mounting holes in the intec uppers and then swapping the t-nuts from the SG uppers into the intecs.  voila, step-in SGs.  However the problem I see is that the intec toepiece has the mounting holes right very close to the edge of the sliding surface where the binding adjustment happens, so I don't know if there's enough room to accommodate a larger hole for the T-nut, and if there is it'd be worth looking very carefully at whether the resulting construction is something you want to trust your safety to.  Maybe yes with the CNC version of F2 upper, no with the plastic one? This is assuming of course that the hole spacing is even the same between the brands.

Edited by Eastsiiiide

The parts of the SG binding may look the same, but they are not. They use ball nuts instead of t-nuts, which means, that there arise no shear forces, when using canting or heel/toe lift. This and the more robust construction in general of the SG binding, is another advantage over the F2 bindings.

A conversion with F2 Intec attachments would be a tinkering and offers no advantage over the original F2 bindings. 

Edited by nextcarve