Note to New Members ×

Switching from skiing to alpine, need a board to get me started!

zacksonfire

So after years of jealously watching you hardboot guys tear it up, I had chance to demo some stuff from Jim at the end of last season. And holy sh*t I haven't had that much fun in a long time. Bought boots on the spot; I've skiied my whole life, and I know just how much of a difference a good pair of shoes makes. Now I need something to start sliding on; a buddy of mine has been super cool about letting me borrow some stuff here and there, but there's only so long you can spend with someone else's girlfriend before it starts getting weird ;). So. If anyone's got some stuff they're willing to let go of to help a newbie get started, let me know =D.

For the record, I'm 6'1" 220# with a racing background (skis, but hey...it helps) so I'm definitely not scared of big, burly, and fast. 

Edit: Can't spend more than $500, hoping to find something in the $300-$400 range so my girlfriend doesn't kill me.

Edited by zacksonfire

18 hours ago, zacksonfire said:

So after years of jealously watching you hardboot guys tear it up, I had chance to demo some stuff from Jim at the end of last season. And holy sh*t I haven't had that much fun in a long time. Bought boots on the spot; I've skiied my whole life, and I know just how much of a difference a good pair of shoes makes. Now I need something to start sliding on; a buddy of mine has been super cool about letting me borrow some stuff here and there, but there's only so long you can spend with someone else's girlfriend before it starts getting weird ;). So. If anyone's got some stuff they're willing to let go of to help a newbie get started, let me know =D.

For the record, I'm 6'1" 220# with a racing background (skis, but hey...it helps) so I'm definitely not scared of big, burly, and fast. 

Donek will be at Copper with a ton of demo boards from 3/31 to 4/7.  Take advantage of that.  

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 3:11 PM, zacksonfire said:

Edit: Can't spend more than $500, hoping to find something in the $300-$400 range so my girlfriend doesn't kill me.

Tell us a little more about what you have demoed, what do you have in mind to what you might be looking for, did you use a set up with the bindings mounted flat or did you have cants, what binding angles and what boots and size do you have? I may be able to help you out. In the Seattle area. I would defiantly be in your price range (shipping $ unknown). The board I am primarily thinking of is a Burton Coil 172 w/ Burton Race plates. Board geo. Overall Length 1725mm, waist 215mm, side cut 10.26m. Not a race board more of an all mountain carving board.

21 hours ago, dhrracer said:

Tell us a little more about what you have demoed, what do you have in mind to what you might be looking for, did you use a set up with the bindings mounted flat or did you have cants, what binding angles and what boots and size do you have? I may be able to help you out. In the Seattle area. I would defiantly be in your price range (shipping $ unknown). The board I am primarily thinking of is a Burton Coil 172 w/ Burton Race plates. Board geo. Overall Length 1725mm, waist 215mm, side cut 10.26m. Not a race board more of an all mountain carving board.

So I've been on a Donek Metal FC (somewhere in the 170-180 range, not sure for certain) and a Volkl Renntiger. The Donek was spectacular, if I hadn't already bought new skis like 2 months before I probably would have bought one already. The Renntiger is good, but its like a 165 and it feel a bit short to me. So that's what I've been on.

I don't know exactly what the binding angles were, but it was pretty steep (50-60*) and that seemed to work great; not coming from softboots, I don't have any habits to break from low stance angles. Honestly, it felt surprisingly natural. I found regular snowboarding to be *way* harder when I tried that a couple years back. As for cant, no idea; I had people way more knowledgeable than me helping me get set up, so I just went with whatever they said lol. 

Boots are mondo 28.5, with I believe a 309mm sole.

I’ll set you up with a Kessler that has a season left in it for 275 including a set of hangls it’s not a beginner ride but that leaves money in the budget for bindings. 

I have a coiler AM that has one run on it....perfect, consider it new. it’s a glass Board, would do that for $350 vintage is about 2010, it will be a couple weeks before I can get to that one. It’s in MA and I live in ME.... the story on that board is it was for my wife, she ended up not wanting to hardboot. 

On 3/19/2018 at 3:11 PM, zacksonfire said:

Love the back story!!  Glad you are stoked.   If you are on Facebook , you might also want to check out my page . https://www.facebook.com/groups/736314186478431/

Alpine Snowboard Trader    Currently over 200 items for sale!! 

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

I have an old burton Stat 6 with burton step ins that I could let you have for $100 plus shipping.  It may be a bit short for your needs but it is a GS board and quite damp at higher speeds.  Board is in very good condition.  Step ins set up for M28.5 boots.