Note to New Members ×

Transition to hardbooting

ghettoraid

So, I'm looking to make this transition over to hardbooting and carving, and I'm trying to figure out where to start.

I've got 25+ years of boarding of all kinds under my belt, on and off piste, splitboarding/backcountry, AK heli, etc. . .but no hardbooting. I also own plenty of gear already.

I should start by saying I'm a big guy. . .6'4" 270lbs 12-4E feet, so finding used gear is a real PITA

I have a super stiff custom built 181cm Prior pow-stick that I'm really comfortable on, it has quad glass and extra carbon stringers for my size. 11m sidecut and a 26cm waist. It's the stiffest board I own, my old burton boards fold up even with soft boots on.I was riding Burton Driver X boots for a while, which I understood to be about the stiffest I could get outside hard booting. . .

I'd really prefer not to drop a grand or more on a brand new rig that I may not like, and I don't feel like I can get a used board that's anywhere near stiff ehough for my size.

The question. . .

If I grab a set of plate bindings and an old set of ski boots (likely AT or something), would this be an acceptable entry intro to the hardboot/carving experience?

Edited by ghettoraid

You can do it, but it's not ideal. I rode for years in Raichle Flexon Comp ski boots, and they were great for the time and the application (racing), but in general, ski boots suck for freecarving.

If you can find flexons or something similar for cheap, try them out. I think you could find used boots and bindings here in the classifieds for a couple hundred bucks. use the boards you have already to start. That Prior sounds like a fun board.

Edited by tex1230
  • Like 1

I'd focus on finding some boots. I also have very wide forefoot, so if you are into blowing out the shells yourself, like I do or get them done by a boot fitter is up to you. It's a pain is the arse, but not really that hard. Bindings is an interesting question. I know there is another guy here (maybe a few) that is about your weight and he would be a good resource. Your powstick sounds like a good starter carver at least. I know there are a lot of very stiff carving boards out there also  that may be found cheap. I'm sure some of the heavy weights will chime in (Brian :) Measure your foot ala mondo size so you know what size you need. Also I would not downsize much as some do as you will need the room for your "bigfoot" feet. AT boots should work also for you also especially considering your weight.

You are 60 lbs heavier than me so you are out of my weight range a bit. Welcome and good luck!

Edited by digger jr
  • Like 1

Let's talk, I have a collection of big stiff boards , I am 250lbs and I have a few that even tax that weight. 

Bryan  PM me your email address.  

I also have bindings etc.   

Like Tex, I came from an era that used ski boots for race boards.  Avoid that if you can, the alpine boots are typically much better unless you are good at tweeking gear.  Bindings are really designed for real alpine boots too.  

Figure out your Mondo Point for the boots.  I would guess M30+ 

There is an article on Bomber on the how too.  Read the "Welcome" section for new carvers. Very helpful , there are 

plenty of new carvers here lately , so if you follow their threads you can save yourself some frustration. 

Would something like this work for boots:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/scarpa-flash-alpine-touring-ski-boots-dynafit-compatible-for-men~p~7988h/?filterString=s~at-boots%2Fsizefamily~mondo%3B29dotdot5%2F&colorFamily=01

I can get them on coupon for $180 right now. . .

I'm showing Mondo 29 on a yardstick, but it's tough to say without trying things on. My current soft boots are mondo 30, but are packing out longer than I'd like.

I have an earlier version Pow Stick that I ride with X-Bones step ins, that set up will carve surpringly well, FYI!

I had mine made for an AK trip in 2010 and now it's all I ride. I think with hard boots to reign things in, I could be much faster all over the mountain. . .

With bc in mind yes. Not the best for pure alpine. Sole length is a draw back with a size 12

Since I'm not willing to modify my feet to carve better (please excuse my lack of commitment to the cause) I'm just going to have to live with teh size 12. . . I used to love the Palmer power plates when I had them, and I'm assuming that the plate bindings will lift me up off the deck quite a bit.

amirite?

Would something like this work for boots:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/scarpa-flash-alpine-touring-ski-boots-dynafit-compatible-for-men~p~7988h/?filterString=s~at-boots%2Fsizefamily~mondo%3B29dotdot5%2F&colorFamily=01

I can get them on coupon for $180 right now. . .

I'm showing Mondo 29 on a yardstick, but it's tough to say without trying things on. My current soft boots are mondo 30, but are packing out longer than I'd like.

I would avoid those scarpas. The second strap is going to impede ankle flex, and at your (our ) size, you're going to break them.

Since I'm not willing to modify my feet to carve better (please excuse my lack of commitment to the cause) I'm just going to have to live with teh size 12. . . I used to love the Palmer power plates when I had them, and I'm assuming that the plate bindings will lift me up off the deck quite a bit.

amirite?

Depends on the binding. Burton race plates/ibex are much shorter than Bombers (I think...never actually measured.)

Until you get much better at carving, the additional leverage from stack height of the bindings won't be noticeable. The hard boot increases leverage so much that binding height isn't noticeable at first. (Did that make sense? 2 hours sleep...)

• Like 1

Hi Ghettoraid,

I have to agree with the sentiment of others that have replied. You are better off going with used gear that won't be a compromise. As someone that took the long way around and tried to save here and there, I can say that you are better off doing it right from the get go. Great sport with great people so I'm guessing you are going to stick with it. Just be sure to get a board with a waist width of at least 20cm with those big feet of yours.

I'm 6'4" and pushing 250 on a good day. I'll echo what most are saying - find good boots. Happy feet make for a happy rider. The other stuff is easy to track down and your current board will work. Some of the older Burton plate bindings (are they all older now?) have a reputation for breaking under stress - having said that I rode them for years without any problem. Bomber TD3's are the bees knees and will support a rider twice your size.

Start shopping the for sale ads now and be patient. It will come together!

Thanks for all the input and advice.

I ended up grabbing the Scarps boots. STP had a flash sale and they're $150. They Dynafit toes were a clincher, since I want to run hard boots on my split board, at the very least. I'll make sure they're fitted properly. I already tore up one of my toes in soft boots this season (my brand new Deeluxe soft boots, no less). I'm aware of how critical boot fit is. STP has lifetime returns if I smash them.

Tried to find info on Deluxe hard boots, but there's nothing on the Deluxe web site.

So, I guess I'm in the market for some binders. . .looks like the bombers are gonna be the way to go. . .

The maybe do the snow dance for a spring dump at Mammoth. . .

This site has data on Boots... some of it is dated but luckily  :freak3: not many changes in snowboard hardboots.

http://www.alpinecarving.com/

This is an very interesting data set by the Bomber crew... good stuff!

http://bomberonline.com/resources/Techarticles/boot_volume.htm

Good new carver articles here.... http://bomberonline.com/resources/newcarver/new_carver.html

Everyone can learn from the Doctor...  :biggthump

http://beckmannag.com/hardboot-snowboarding/hardboot-binding-configuration

Trust the ruler and never mention shoe size again...  http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/PDFs/Sizing_boots.pdf

The prior posters are all spot on.  How do I know?  I'm 6'4" and a solid 245.  I jumped in and was cheap... most of the things I bought slowed my initial progress... when I wised up and saved up then bought more appropriate gear... doors were opened.