Note to New Members ×

Softie Binding Angles

Topgun

Well a few days of reading have taught me that this may be dangerous territory;)

I don't plan on delving into the discussion of hard vs soft and who can dig deeper trenches. What I do know is this. After just shy of 30 years skiing (I'll eliminate my days of riding Burton Cruisers and Sims Switchblades) I have never had any ski launch me out my turns regardless of hard I loaded it the way my new rig (Arbor Crossbow) did in my few days of riding now that I have returned to the sport. Even though I know this feeling will be way more intense on a hardboot setup I'm curious about what some of you guys/gals ride as far as stance angles on your soft setups.

I'm not pro one setup or another, just not rich enough to have taken the chance on a brand new plate setup before I knew if I still had some skills left in me.

So if anyone is willing to cough up some softie angles I swear I'll be looking hard trench digging next season.

Much Thanks,

~TG

if you want to carve a softboot setup as hard as the equipment will allow, logic says the minimum angles are whatever results in zero, or darn close to zero, toe/heel overhang.

Ive always found this to be a bit uncomfortable, plus the heelcup of most bindings adds to the length of the package.

anyway...set em where there's no hang, or even a little inside. too late to try where you're at?

Anything past 30 degrees will compromise your ability to put the board on edge. One thing you can try is lifters like the Palmer power plate, the lift will get your feet off the snow, and add a little power to your turns. When I still used softies, I rode at 30f/20r.

Thanks guys - And ya 3 weeks to late up here to try. Right now I'm set at 21/6 but I feel like there is some work needed on the rear to tweak the setup to my liking. think I might go 21/9 as an intermediate step followed by 30/15.

Any body using those Catek Freeride bindings??? I love my flows but those Cateks are slick!

Oh and those balls are a bitch to get out of the way in a heelside with my softie angles. Might need to try a high flouro paste wax on em ;)

~TG

Guest claudio
Well a few days of reading have taught me that this may be dangerous territory;)

I don't plan on delving into the discussion of hard vs soft and who can dig deeper trenches. What I do know is this. After just shy of 30 years skiing (I'll eliminate my days of riding Burton Cruisers and Sims Switchblades) I have never had any ski launch me out my turns regardless of hard I loaded it the way my new rig (Arbor Crossbow) did in my few days of riding now that I have returned to the sport. Even though I know this feeling will be way more intense on a hardboot setup I'm curious about what some of you guys/gals ride as far as stance angles on your soft setups.

I'm not pro one setup or another, just not rich enough to have taken the chance on a brand new plate setup before I knew if I still had some skills left in me.

So if anyone is willing to cough up some softie angles I swear I'll be looking hard trench digging next season.

Much Thanks,

~TG

I ride a Prior ATV with 45 front and 42 back angles on softies. However, note that the ATV is 23.5 wide at the waist (wider than most carving boards) and I am using Catek freeride pro bindings which have about 1 inch of lift. Seems to work for me.

Guest claudio
Thanks guys - And ya 3 weeks to late up here to try. Right now I'm set at 21/6 but I feel like there is some work needed on the rear to tweak the setup to my liking. think I might go 21/9 as an intermediate step followed by 30/15.

Any body using those Catek Freeride bindings??? I love my flows but those Cateks are slick!

Oh and those balls are a bitch to get out of the way in a heelside with my softie angles. Might need to try a high flouro paste wax on em ;)

~TG

Sorry missed your 2nd post:

The CATEK freeride pros are THE ****! The canting, in particular on the rear foot, makes finding 'the right' position that much more feasible + they are built like tanks + the lift gives you leverage and flexibility on stance angles. Highly recommend them.

The Cateks are THE binding of choice for softboot carving... but wait until the Freeride Pro 2's. I find that a few things need to be improved:

1- the straps + highback! + make the highback rotatable. we'd be willing to spend the extra money

2- maybe a bit more shaping to the form of the boot. There could be a "carving" model of the Freerides with winged highbacks and tight boot/binding shaping. Also damping could be incorporated in the boot/binding shaping.

- and of course they will be repeatably adjustable with no wear, which is good, and lighter, but what would reallly make them perfect is a lot more shape to the boot/binding interface and straps/highback that live up to the quality of the rest

That said, I ride 24/0 on my Freeride board and 36/15 on the carving setup. I would like to ride around 40/24, I find that's where the balance between heelside performance meets toeside performance. The right angulation comes very naturally at that stance I find. but we need winged highbacks.

Guest claudio
The Cateks are THE binding of choice for softboot carving... but wait until the Freeride Pro 2's. I find that a few things need to be improved:

1- the straps + highback! + make the highback rotatable. we'd be willing to spend the extra money

2- maybe a bit more shaping to the form of the boot. There could be a "carving" model of the Freerides with winged highbacks and tight boot/binding shaping. Also damping could be incorporated in the boot/binding shaping.

- and of course they will be repeatably adjustable with no wear, which is good, and lighter, but what would reallly make them perfect is a lot more shape to the boot/binding interface and straps/highback that live up to the quality of the rest

That said, I ride 24/0 on my Freeride board and 36/15 on the carving setup. I would like to ride around 40/24, I find that's where the balance between heelside performance meets toeside performance. The right angulation comes very naturally at that stance I find. but we need winged highbacks.

I think the highbacks actually can be rotated a notch or two - it requires unbolting them from the heel cup. I haven't tried it.

Completely agree that 'wings' on the side of the highback would add lateral support. I don't have any problems with shaping to the form of my boot. I ride malamutes and they are very snug in the Cateks. Finally, although I like the notion of more control, if we keep dialing up every constraint on soft bindings, why not just get hard boots instead?

Completely agree that 'wings' on the side of the highback would add lateral support. I don't have any problems with shaping to the form of my boot. I ride malamutes and they are very snug in the Cateks. Finally, although I like the notion of more control, if we keep dialing up every constraint on soft bindings, why not just get hard boots instead?
Wings are a definitely bonus (I had them on my Salomon SP4 Shapes). Yea, I found the Catek Freerides to be a little overkill. If you want to get as close to hardboots without hardboots, then Cateks are a good choice. Otherwise, having a with the stiffer model of Flows, Salomons, or Nidecker should be more than you need (with been comfort, dampening ands ergonomic) assuming you have good physical conditioning (i.e. you are in shape) and are an competent rider. I've seen a lot of rave reviews of the Cateks for their responsiveness and power... only to notice those same people sell them a few months later. I myself found them to be a tiny bit heavy and harsh to ride.

I ride 24/12 on my freeride setup (18/3 on my freestyle and 55/53 on my alpine setup).

My personal specs: 24/15 with Salomon bidnings, 30/21 with Catek FRs. I haven't figured out why different angles on the two bidnings felt similar. I wound up selling my Cateks b/c the Salomons were more comfy and I really only need one pair of soft bindings. Board - Donek Wide 161.

I ride an Arbor A-Frame or a Palmer Crown with both Catek Freerides or my Burton C 60's with the Palmer Power Plate System. Stance angels 40ish/25ish. As D-Sub said, the key is to make sure you have no toe overhang when you are laying one out.

Without trying to create a huge ****-storm, I can carve almost as hard on these setups, but have MUCH more versatility in the bumps/crud and even pow. I used to ride hard-boots exclusively, but since I figured out a soft set-up that works for me, I haven't had my hard-boots on in 2 years.

Hope that helps,

Flash

I have to ride about 54/44 on cheap liquid bindings because I'm cursed with huge feet. I found this to work for me but it promotes horrible carving form (sitting on the toilet). I ride an old aggression assault which has about bit the dust. I find it easy to ride bumps and trees and powder, but maybe that comes from me not beingh able to not have fun on the slopes :D . I reccommend not going past 40/25 if you can help it.

all rock, get one of those three and you will be happy

in the end every binding has a compromise but those three are all great

solomon I refuse to support if I can avoid it at least in the snowboard scene, for a few reasons

I have to ride about 54/44 on cheap liquid bindings because I'm cursed with huge feet.

Have you tried a wider board? I have size 15's and I run 36/36. This year I was on an old Burton BMC Wide and a Donek Sasquatch in softies. Both allowed me to run the above stance.

I ride both feet in the 45 -50 range not sure exactly. I ride switch ntypes with the rental series lifts so no overhang problems. I also use a burton universal cant plate under the back foot. I would also say that I carve just as well with this setup as with most hardboot setups. the plus is that It works in the slop and off piste in the deep and steep equally as well. I usually end my days on this setup and it adds 5 runs after my legs are "done" hardbootin.

for the past 3 years been riding a volkl cross 160, salmon spx6, malamutes and volkl lift plates. i ride 45/45. sometimes would boot out on heal side turn when the binding cup would catch. i enjoyed carving on this setup. i started on a hardboot setup this xmas on a madd 168. been lots of fun as well with both setup by the end of the day my feet and legs are sore.

catek's are awesome freeride bindings... unfortunately all the new ones are sold. but hey... the freeride 2 is on its way :biggthump

if you want cateks, i suggest you wait for the new line.

remember: good things come to those who wait.

Wow This thread is turning into one huge coming out party:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not even one instance of " I tried softboots once in college but I was really drunk":lol:

I was getting settled in for a real Donnybrook over this subject matter. Some of our more militant types must have called it a season. Now what am I going to do for entertainment:confused:

I have to ride about 54/44 on cheap liquid bindings because I'm cursed with huge feet. .

See if you can find some Ntypes and Vans Boots online there are lots left out there. No binding overhang and it reallly doesn't matter how big your feet are.

They also have a lot more support than the other styles of stepins klicker etc.

Not even one instance of " I tried softboots once in college but I was really drunk":lol:

I was getting settled in for a real Donnybrook over this subject matter. Some of our more militant types must have called it a season. Now what am I going to do for entertainment:confused:

hey... hardboots just dont feel as good in powder:cool:

On my soft setup, 27front and 12back. That is how I like it for powder. If I was on groom all day with that same soft setup and wanted to play around making some carves, I'd switch it to 40/40 or 45/45....but I wouldn't enjoy those angles in powder.

Recent statistics show that 99% of all softbooters have smoked crack, clubbed a kitten to death, don't brush their teeth, abuse the elderly, steal toilet paper, kidnap children for fun, sue their own parents, are racist, destroy the environment, never believed in Santa, rumage through other people's trash, mumble, eat whale blubber, have comitted date rape, think french kissing their siblings is OK, and worst of all (gasp) can't carve...

...I'm just the messenger