Note to New Members ×

What are my choices for a WIDER all mountain board?

Michael_A

Hello everyone,

Got hooked on carving on my freeride board with plates this winter -- but have big feet (mondo 30) and seem to like lower angles (45/40). What kinds of boards are out there with a 23cm or so waist width? All I can find so far are the Donek Incline, Prior ATV, Coiler AM. All three seem like great rides. Anyone care to offer a comparison or make other suggestions? I ride on smaller mtns here on the East Coast.

Thanks,

Michael

Guest Zach Davis

Get the Donek Incline... really.. just get one... they kick ass.

I ride about 95% of the time in the backcountry (ie; "all mountain"), with hard boots, and the Incline 168 works for any terrain.. It's a very aggressive board that carves as well as it rides in powder... just go fast.

Zach

everyone who has been on the Madd BX have said good things, since you are in the north east it should be pretty easy to get a demo of one

keep a eye on the classifieds for wide coiler AMs, there are a few with 23 cm waists around

I have just spent the two previous days on my new 171 prior atv that Chris stiffened up 15-20% for my fat carcass ( a bunch of extra quad glass I believe). This thing rocks, carves well on the hard pack, and I had it in up to about 30cms of powder and it floated quite nicely. A great all mtn deck.

Chris nailed it with this one

Dave*

Makes a 173 freeride board that is custom made. I am 265 pounds and mine is stiffer than many alpine boards. I wear a 29 mondo and have no problems with this board with room to spare and since its directional it screams like an alpine board. floats like a dream in the pow or the crud. It holds an edge better than most other boards I have ridden. With the spring wet cement conditions its my favorite ride lately

Michael,

You said you are on the Ice Coast with small mountains, but you didn't say

what kind of riding you like to do.

You mentioned the Freeride board, but even within that designation there are options.

Are you looking for a stiffer FR to lay down carves, maybe along the lines of a BX board?

Perhaps you'd like a FR that is not as stiff to be able to handle pow in the trees when you want to go there?

What length are you looking for, how much do you weigh, and where will you be spending the majority of your time?

RJ,

Those are good questions. I only weigh 160 and am primarily interested in laying down carves. In my experience we don't get much powder here on the East Coast. I've got to be able to throw the board around fairly easily because our mountains are fairly crowded, the trails can be narrow, and I just don't think with my skills I should be riding a longer board.

I put my plates on my 164 freeride and although it could carve pretty well it felt VERY soft and flexy with the increased leverage from the plates/bindings. The width of the freereide (26cm) doesn't bother me and I am enjoying riding around 45 deg. so that's why I think a BX type board around 23cm wide with a 10m sidecut or so might be best.

Michael

Guest sierra

Michael: Your needs describe the Madd BX 168 perfectly. It's got a 24cm waist and around 10m sidecut (slightly less). It's very stiff between the feet but soft at the tip and tail and an easy transition from soft boots. You can ride it in soft boots but my feeling is that it needs more input.

You can ride it in any condition but it rails on the hardpack and it's a marauder if you like to go fast....

What is this "powder" you speak of??