Note to New Members ×

Out with hard, in with soft

jtslalom

Thats right, carving soft is just as fun if not better than carving hard. With exception to my RT, I am getting rid of my other two race decks. Not to be wastefull, I'm not throwing them out but rather using the rossi as the seat and the burton as the back of a bench. My plates are reserved for Sic t 2. After riding up at Stratton and Sugarbush I've decided that the next board I get will be a 165 stiff freeride with soft bindings.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats right, carving soft is just as fun if not better than carving hard. With exception to my RT, I am getting rid of my other two race decks. Not to be wastefull, I'm not throwing them out but rather using the rossi as the seat and the burton as the back of a bench. My plates are reserved for Sic t 2. After riding up at Stratton and Sugarbush I've decided that the next board I get will be a 165 stiff freeride with soft bindings.
I just put up a Rad Air Reto Lamm Project LSD Vessel 156cm in the classified section if you are interested in a Freeride/BX board than can rail carved turns. http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=10656

contact me. I have a 167 Volkl Cross in good shape.
Ooohh... that's even better for you than my Reto, plus he is closer to you. Go for it! The Madd freeride boards are pretty awesome as well (Joe Franklin of Madd used to ride Volkl Coals before switch to being a Madd rider).

Lonerider, why are you selling your reto?
Well I have too many boards... I got a Tanker 172 and a Madd TT158 around the same time. I like my Tanker better for the conditions we get a Tahoe. I'm not that much of a speed-demon and after the first couple of runs of just blazing down the steeps was fun because I could, it really just wasn't my style of riding. The Reto really likes to take huge fast arcs down the slope... whereas I like making full S-turns across the slope. Plus the Reto does make you work a little bit when you get into deep powder, especially in the trees.

Guest dragonsword5
Troll.

JT has clearly never been to Mountain Creek on the same day as ErikJ.

But I have :biggthump

What an amazing rider. It was awesome riding with him!

Knee jerk reaction phhlbb:rolleyes:

I have to come out of the closet myself. Maybe its the gear or my set up but I love carving in my soft boot setup especially in the spring muck and days I want to drop into Hellroaring canyon.

I ride vans Switch N-types set at roughly 50 and 55 degrees. yes it gets weird looks from the lifties. I ride a garage 173 directional with an extra layer of carbon for my oversized 265 pund butt. John Mcginnis formerly of Identity built it for me and it carves better than many of the alpine boards I have tried. I have run both hard and soft on the board and they both carve great. Yesterday a liftie said "I have never seen Klickers on a race board before" He watched me come down the run and assumed I was on an alpine setup. It never occured to him I was riding a standard looking board. He did however notice the soft boots.

another good thing is that when my quads are tore up and I am ready to go home I cna switch out of the hard setup and go the rest of the day because you use a different set of muscles in the soft setup. Twice the carving time without any added Burn:biggthump Also in spring ski conditions by 2pm the mountain is turning into a giant slushy and the soft set up deals with that better.

I still love Alpine the best,:ices_ange its just another way to enjoy the carve.

[ I've decided that the next board I get will be a 165 stiff freeride with soft bindings.

I highly recomend a Garage. you have to get a hold of John and make an order and wait awhile but its so worth it. This guy is the genius behind the 185 carbon identity. he knows the carve and there's a little built into every board no matter what its intended purpose. email me for contact info. He's bringing out a new alpine line in the near future. But for now the 173 screams as an allmountain board with either plates or softies.

I can guess that since JTSlalom only posted once and hasn't posted again despite everyone's best efforts that he is indeed a troll. When I went to Mountain Creek (ONCE) I was left looking for the rest of the mountain while I waited in the 45 minute line to buy my $50 lift ticket after paying $25 to park. I Got bored with waiting to shell out and told the money man in the parking lot that I had gotten a call that my grandmother was sick. Left and never went back. Of course, why would I drive to jersey to ride when I have such good riding around here. JTSlalom is a troll. :flamethro

________

JAILBROKEN

This is like selling all of your wrenches because your new Robo-grip can handle any size nut. It says more about the quality of the mechanic than the quality of the tool.

good point and it can be taken the other way. Most of the members of this community have more than one tool. (some of them are Tools:lol: ) Any way nothing wrong with having a softie setup. I can't imagine quitting hard boots all together though, Its like Giving up your Ferrari Enzo because you discovered boulder crawling and 4x4's. you still gotta get around on the freeway.:freak3::smashfrea

Hey, the Robo-Grip is great for a lot of things, like unscrewing faucets and pipe fittings. Anyone who owns a house should have one. It is truly the "freeride" tool :biggthump: Jack hit it on the head once, he compared carving on softies to road-racing in a jeep. Or something like that.

I can guess that since JTSlalom only posted once and hasn't posted again despite everyone's best efforts that he is indeed a troll. JTSlalom is a troll. :flamethro
He's not posting because a couple of days ago he got into a season ending car accident and he's tending to his wife, who was also badly hurt in the crash. Try reading the guy's recent posts before jumping to conclusions.

...but I find myself wondering if he was just "enjoying the fun" sensation of hydroplaning down a hill on a wet highway with loose steering wheel, bad struts, worn tie rods and slippery fingers.

Sort of like jibbing in soft boots at low angles....