Note to New Members ×

when there is no snow

frochild

Soon, there will be no more snow here in NY. When that happens I want something to feed my addiction. I have seen some really cool long skateboards designed just for carving and I would like some recomondations. I would not like to go over 200-300 dollars. Thank you very much!

Fro

i was wondering all season what i would do when the snow melts away and i was introduced into the world of kiteboarding. I almost have enough $ saved up to get a beginner rig. It looks like its too much fun to pass up.

Longboarding looks fun but me, high speed and pavement usually ends up with me having no hair or skin on my legs for weeks. people drive too recklessly to do much with a long board here :( I do rollerblade and bike (mtn and road) alot. We have countless teams practicing on my street because of the huge hills.

slalom skateboarding is how I spend the summer. There are races all over the world and the sport is growing really quickly. The body positioning for slalom is very similar to alpine riding( toes forward, shoulders facing forward, perpedicular shoulders to riding surface). Giant slalom would be closest to alpine, some of the tight slalom have the racers making 4-6 truns every second!.

Heres a little clip of me training last summer.

http://www.vidiLife.com/reloc.cfm?cryp=010-5AA188D0-5CEB-4A59-BD5C-2

Its a blast and the people that do it are even cooler.

Try it out! Lots of people that have never skated before do well trying slalom, and some of the racers push 50 years old, so its something you can do for as long as you can snowboard.

i was wondering all season what i would do when the snow melts away and i was introduced into the world of kiteboarding. I almost have enough $ saved up to get a beginner rig. It looks like its too much fun to pass up.

:biggthump for kiting, just make sure not to fall into kite's quiver collecting and do not buy brand new... there is plenty of inexpensive, used stuff around.. sure it's not as cool and advaced as new models, but who cares, just get out and have fun!

:biggthump for kiting, just make sure not to fall into kite's quiver collecting and do not buy brand new... there is plenty of inexpensive, used stuff around.. sure it's not as cool and advaced as new models, but who cares, just get out and have fun!

i pretty much don't plan on buying anything new for a long time. Several years, for both carving and kiteboarding. I prefer to pay 40% less and get stuff that was barely used than put myself in the red everytime i wanna get something new.

look at http://www.longboardshop.de/shop/index.php?currency=USD&sort=5amany boards by different companies. i personally like the pogos, but i think id use pogo toilet paper if they made it, so ill give you more, less bias suggestions... im diggin the arbors as well as the sector 9s. most of these boards are in your price range, i believe.

Check out LOADED and INSECT longboards if you want to freecarve. Lots of good info on SilverfishLongboarding.com.

I have a Loaded Pintail with Seismic trucks and Abec11 Flashbacks. (To be swapped out for Grippins.) She handles awesome and carves turns not unlike my alpine board. If you don't have a local skate shop, I recommend http://www.milehighskates.com/ for really good service and prices.

let me know, there is some prime water in MA beleive it or not.

in about a month I gonna try and do some time in the battenkill as well, gotta love VT in the spring.

as for the skateboards, I smacked my head one too many times last summer so I am done with that

My vote goes to the loaded Vangaurd for a great allrounder that you can ride in most conditions or the Dirtsurfer for the speed junkie SGS style.

Skateboarding is great because it easy to put in an hour or two of carving practise after work every night of the week or wait till the traffic thins right out in the early hours of the morning and carve those hills that are usually filled with traffic.

Surfing and Kiteboarding are the other two addictions that keep me sane during the warmer months. No wind usually means the surf will be good and if it`s windy then out comes the kite.

There is just something magically healing to the spirit about spending time in the ocean.

As a bonus, any boardsport will improve your all terrain carving abilities.:biggthump

bob, i'm down for fly fishing. never done it and it seems pretty relaxing. Thats what i need most in the summer. School is ripping me a new one. freshmen year blows:-\

Baka dasai, that looks like so much fun. I'm so jealous we don't have anything like that out here. :(

don't forget to check carveboard.com aswell! this board is the ultimate summer-snowboard for me. not really fast but you really need the technical skills from snowboarding and the fun it brings is awsome everytime i set my foots on my deck. you can play with the airpressure in the tires to get the ultimate grip on every surface or every kind of pavement you chose.:biggthump

Local skateshop? we have a few longboards in ours, but theyre very low-end quality, almost as if they were made by fisher price. i would not be satisfied with a board like this. different skateshops carry different products, though.

bob, i'm down for fly fishing. never done it and it seems pretty relaxing. Thats what i need most in the summer. School is ripping me a new one. freshmen year blows:-\

Since Bob was kind enough to rise the fishing issue, I'd suggest spearfishing...:-) It's somewhat "relaxing", very demanding physically and mentaly besides letting you shot something...

thanks for all the info, what do you guys think of the flowlab? Looks pretty wild. Would that be a bad board to start with. Also, what are the odds that I get a longboard at a local skateshop?

Thanks for the help,

Fro

I have a Flowlab and I'm pretty unimpressed. The roller blade wheels give it a really rough ride, and it tends to skid turns rather than carve them. I much prefer my longboard skateboard.

I have a Flowlab and I'm pretty unimpressed. The roller blade wheels give it a really rough ride, and it tends to skid turns rather than carve them. I much prefer my longboard skateboard.

I got to demo one on my home hill in Hawaii, it was slow and hard to control...it slid out and would not make precise turns. It might be interesting in a tranny park though especially since you can buy them ane Sams/BJ's/Costco now I may pick one up to play with

not sure that would be taken to kindly in most areas here, but right about when the ice is out and the fish are still sluggish you could probably do real well around here

been pretty close to pike in the early season, contantly close to trophy trout all summer, the trout are C&R in a managed water so I think the spear might get you in trouble with the MDC/DCR

gleb, pick up some waders at cabelas.com or at your local wal-mart, price to performance ratio neoprene waders with a boot foot are your best bet but if you can afford it go for breathable membrane(often gortex) waders and some wading boots.

of course if you have balls of steel you can wet wade but I usually don't start doing that 'till june or so.

I have plenty of flies, rods, lines and anything else you might need for your first couple times out.

check out http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/