Show off your summer ride !!

B18C1

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you fellow BOL members, you guys have come up with some truly crazy stuff to be viewed on the net. From the previous post re: pimpstar to extreme yo yo to just awesome riding, the hardbooters are friggin' great when it comes to finding stuff that has certianly been entertaining and fresh.

here's something for you to pimp out your summer rides...

it takes a bit to load

http://72.51.37.160/pimpstar2.html

Cool! I want that on my Beemer. I think that flames painted on my car will make me faster too ;)

However, I saw a autoX bro who was really at the top of the pack, but without that stuff and in just "modestly equipped" Mitsu EVO.

Thank you fellow BOL members, you guys have come up with some truly crazy stuff to be viewed on the net. From the previous post re: pimpstar to extreme yo yo to just awesome riding, the hardbooters are friggin' great when it comes to finding stuff that has certianly been entertaining and fresh.

Actually, my dad sent me the clip as an attachment with an email-it didn't take me long to find the website...

He was threatening to pimp his 85 Ferrari Testarossa convertible....

I threatened to have him declared medically incompetent if he did :ices_ange

He bought it as a convertible and I know he told me who did the conversion for the prior owner, but I can't remember....

Anyway, it's red :eplus2:

and it's got that Ferrari smell.....rich mixture, a little oil mixed in....like a lawnmotor, but more sexy

post pics of it. sweet, I like the Old Skool Magnum PI style. If it's white you can do the Miami Vice crocket and tubb's thing. yeah, don't let him pimp it, the car is classic w/o pimping. i see ferraris around here occassionaly, i used to work across from a dealership, but they're all newer, no Old Skool stuff like your dad has. Ask him to borrow it, just be careful. i got my "first" reckless driving my dad's old vette, it's a magnet for those lower forms of life called traffic cops

Beeing from Sweden, I find swedish cars a bit ordinary...

I got my TT.

5065914028.jpg

I'm glad you didn't go for A6. Is it me, or the car seems really under powered compared to the A4 and A8. The ratio of weight and engine power seems off, at least from what it looks like to me.

Is it me, or the car seems really under powered compared to the A4 and A8. The ratio of weight and engine power seems off, at least from what it looks like to me.

It's you. The A6 can be had with a 250HP biturbo V6, a 300/310HP V8, a 360HP V8 (S6), or a 450HP biturbo V8 (RS6). An A6 with any of those motors will be faster than a quattro TT.

It's you. The A6 can be had with a 250HP biturbo V6, a 300/310HP V8, a 360HP V8 (S6), or a 450HP biturbo V8 (RS6). An A6 with any of those motors will be faster than a quattro TT.

when i got to drive one, it felt really sluggish and cumbersome, guess its just me.

How are the S4 s with reliability? I havent check consumer reports lately but those reliability ratings don't lie. My dad swears by it.

when i got to drive one, it felt really sluggish and cumbersome, guess its just me.

How are the S4 s with reliability? I havent check consumer reports lately but those reliability ratings don't lie. My dad swears by it.

There was also a base model (in the US) offered with an anemic 2.8L 190HP V6 which then got bumped to 3.0L and 220HP. The current base model has a 3.2L V6 with 255HP.

The biturbo S4 is a typical Audi with regard to reliability. Should be identical to the a4, but with more problematic turbos. I don't know anything about the V8 S4s (04+).

The CR reports are an ok guide, but they're far from perfect. For a while, rebadged cars often rated differently, but that seems to have been fixed.

There was also a base model (in the US) offered with an anemic 2.8L 190HP V6 which then got bumped to 3.0L and 220HP. The current base model has a 3.2L V6 with 255HP.

The biturbo S4 is a typical Audi with regard to reliability. Should be identical to the a4, but with more problematic turbos. I don't know anything about the V8 S4s (04+).

The CR reports are an ok guide, but they're far from perfect. For a while, rebadged cars often rated differently, but that seems to have been fixed.

190 hp isn't too bad but the car is not that light. At least it didn't feel like it. For the money, i never saw the A6 as a great deal when you factor in the performance. Comfort and style...ya the car defintly is amazing for that. I love the look of any audi and the seats and interior are exactly what they should be.

Thanks for the info man!

my summer ride now is a 99 ford taurus wagon. This is not mine, mine is red. My sister totaled my volvo :( Oh well, she's the **** anyway.:biggthump

m94903.jpg

Anemic comes not from horespower. It comes from torque distribution. Many race cars can be anemic at the beginning of rpm. You go with high rpms and it becomes beast. Only those with turbo that moves torque down to low rpms and mainatins it to high rpms is non-anemic.

Example of such car is Mazda RX8 that does not have torque, but it goeas to 9000rpms which means that it can reach 60mph on 1st gear. Now you cannot beat this with high powered car that has short peak torque, because you would lose time on shifting gears. Simple as that.

All Audi 6 line is heavy and cannot compare to 4 series, really. The fastest cars are S4 and RS4. TT will also likely be quicker than any 6 series assuming it is equipped with DSG transmission. There is no man on this planet who can shift faster and smoother than DSG. Shifting (and knowing when it is worth to shift) as well as gearing is the key to quickness. The high powered cars are produced to make automatic transmissions simpler (less gears required to achieve speed), but for some reason many manufacturers introduce more gears. One of this reasons I noticed is probably fuel efficiency as two last gears are overdrive (ratio below 1.0). Seriously those cars behave like sporty cars on gears 1-3or4 at most. They need 5th and 6th only to avoid gas guzzler penalty fees probably. The average US buyer however is fed with marketting crap of numbers that many salespeople do not understand what they are for (eg. peak power is only to establishmaximum point of acceleration on rpms scale and nothing else). The buyer then goeas to neighbors and friends saying that his/her car has 300hp... but then he she does not know where those "mustangs" are running and what for. So he she drives at 50-60mph on highway satisfied with false impressions made on friend or neighbor.

A piece of advice: do not trust CR. Frequently I noticed incompetent opinions based on general impression and not on proper use of car for aht it was built. People complaining about sluggishness would probably be satisfied with old turbo diesel cars as they acclerate incredibly burning tires.. only to small speeds. But unfortunatelly you do not get many of them in the USA. The rating of performance is sos-so in CR. Only reliability might be really helpful, bu then you have to consider how average driver drives (eg. sports car driven like by casual old lady might feel very reliable and still well performing - the same with safety as one has to know where and when front wheel drive cars are unsafe and when and where rear wheel drives require more attention).

A piece of advice: do not trust CR. Frequently I noticed incompetent opinions based on general impression and not on proper use of car for aht it was built. People complaining about sluggishness would probably be satisfied with old turbo diesel cars as they acclerate incredibly burning tires.. only to small speeds. But unfortunatelly you do not get many of them in the USA. The rating of performance is sos-so in CR. Only reliability might be really helpful, bu then you have to consider how average driver drives (eg. sports car driven like by casual old lady might feel very reliable and still well performing - the same with safety as one has to know where and when front wheel drive cars are unsafe and when and where rear wheel drives require more attention).

I only use CR for the reliability. Thats the only thing that can be obtained from their surveys.

Example of such car is Mazda RX8 that does not have torque, but it goeas to 9000rpms which means that it can reach 60mph on 1st gear. Now you cannot beat this with high powered car that has short peak torque, because you would lose time on shifting gears. Simple as that.

Actually, if you want to go 60mph in 1st in the RX8, you need to go to just shy of 13,000rpm. 1st is 3.76:1 and it has a 4.44:1 rear end, so on the stock 225/45/18 tires, the engine must spin to 12,971rpm to hit 60mph.

The TT, while marketed as a sportscar, is actually pretty slow. DSG is nice, but with a heavy turbo-charged AWD car, if you really want the car to take off you're going to have to launch it. You cannot do that with DSG.

Actually, if you want to go 60mph in 1st in the RX8, you need to go to just shy of 13,000rpm. 1st is 3.76:1 and it has a 4.44:1 rear end, so on the stock 225/45/18 tires, the engine must spin to 12,971rpm to hit 60mph.

The TT, while marketed as a sportscar, is actually pretty slow. DSG is nice, but with a heavy turbo-charged AWD car, if you really want the car to take off you're going to have to launch it. You cannot do that with DSG.

I like the way the TT looks...but I'll stick with my soon-to-have R6S and my Saab. But it certainly is a cool looking car.

________

VAPOR GENIE REVIEW

post pics of it. sweet, I like the Old Skool Magnum PI style. If it's white you can do the Miami Vice crocket and tubb's thing. yeah, don't let him pimp it, the car is classic w/o pimping. i see ferraris around here occassionaly, i used to work across from a dealership, but they're all newer, no Old Skool stuff like your dad has. Ask him to borrow it, just be careful. i got my "first" reckless driving my dad's old vette, it's a magnet for those lower forms of life called traffic cops

My dad's first Ferrari was a '67 275 GTB.......much more stylin' than the Testarossa

My dad's first Ferrari was a '67 275 GTB.......much more stylin' than the Testarossa

Skatha,

I would love to see those cars!! Please post some pics!!

This used to be my "vacation ride".

1995 F512M....it was my grandfather's.

post-580-141842217805_thumb.jpg

Actually I do not know if you can launch with DSG. I can do suden acceleration (not launch that destroys clutch and does nothing good except upsetting car balance) with SMG which I have done on last two atocrosses a few times. I would guess that you can do that with DSG only you have to know how. If you drive the car using one foot for braking and accelerating you will never be able to do it. Just learn the new driving skill. Both at the same time and turn off all electronics. I will post my pictures from todays autox in rain in which I took 4th in my class :cool: And yes I do autox with all electronics off inlcuding rain like today. Some say that electronics helps. Well my friend spun his electronic all-wheel drive EVO many times today... on the other hand I in my rear wheel drive beemer have not spun once, but I was going sideways at some turns and was 1.5 second behind (bear in mind we are way different classes based on his power and my poor 184bhp at way over 3000lbs). Just need to control the engine and brakes with two feet. Launching is no good anymore if you have two pedals only and can do smooth fast accleration with auto-clutch. Being fast is not about being able to launch anymore. Perhaps if you go drag strip, but then it is about pure power and nothing else (7000bp Top Fueler goes quater mile below 5 seconds, but it does not have to do with street cars).

As far as RX8 I did not check ratios so you might be right.

TT might be slow depending in which hands it is ;) You have to know how to drive a different car. There is that guy in our autocreosses who adopts to just about any car and makes the best times. That's what I call fast... and great driver. Try to beat him in his new Civic Si :) Good luck! Even guys in Evo and STi's may have some problems if they do not know how to use their cars.

Actually to engage turbo you do not need to launch. So with sequential you do not need to launch. Just keep rpms above the point of turbo engaging (if you can) and that should be enough. You will take off with turbo as it makes peak torque at about engagement point and keeps it flat almost all the way to the peak power point. If you want to do that from start you just need to keep your brake on hard and spin the wheels. If the turbo engages at low enough rpms you can do that. Then you need to lift off the brake and you will go fast as soon as the tires get grip. They eventully will and with tires that are difficult to warm up it is advantagous maneouver. I did that accidently at some autocross and it worked. You would have to grow third leg to do the same with manual shift stick... or you could try and screw up your clutch after a few regular launches. I do not know hat is better: get a set of new brake pads and tires or get under hood and replace clutch.

the only problem with this solution is that Audi TT is quattro and you cannot use this method :( I guess there is not much to be done on TT then.

• 3 weeks later...