Note to New Members ×

POGO or DUPRAZ?

surfinsmiley

POGO or DUPRAZ?

I know you guys all have powder boards secretly stashed away in your quivers, I want to ask about these two brands if anyone knows about them at all.

I have had 10 days on the snow so far this season in Japan and all but two of them have been deep powder days. I need a powder board!

So, after seeing a thread here a couple of weeks ago about the Dupraz D1, I`ve become really interested.

http://06.dupraz-ch.com/index.php?topgroupid=3

I also found that POGO makes a Longboard 180 that appears to be very similar.

http://www.pogo.biz/shop/product_category_displayE.php?cPath=24_45&language=en

Now, my big question is, THE PRICE.

The Dupraz is 500 Euros.

The Pogo is 880 Euros:eek:.

Can anyone tell me if it`s worth paying that much extra for the Pogo.

OR will the D1 perform and last just as well.

I have no idea what the construction on the D1 is, maybe sandwich, I read on the site somewhere.

Pogo, I`ve heard is rated like the BMW of snowboards, top quality build.

Please, can anyone shed any light on the choice between these two boards?

Don't know about the DUPRAZ, looks fine to me.

The DUPRAZ you mentioned and the POGO Longboards are allmountainboards which happens to be suitable for powderdays. If you are seeking for a real powderboard buy yourself a big swallowtail. I myself ride a POGO Longboard 175 for six years (seven weeks on it) with the wooden topsheet (see picture below) with a FLow softsetup. I weigh 87 kgs. I weighted less when I bought this one, I now should choose the 180 or even the 200 cm.

The POGO longboards are suitable for alpineboarding, the edgehold is superb, even at blue ice. It floats well enough in powder. Building and quality are superb and belong among the best you can get. So if you are looking for a board what can do it all, alpine, powder, big mountainrides. You are at the right one. If you are looking for only a powder board, buy yourself a secondhand 190 cm swallowtail for those powderdays.

Edit: some testride opinions on swallows: http://www.swallowtails.org/tales/2002_01_27_archive.html

Greets, Hans.

post-105-141842211041_thumb.jpg

Guest thomas_m

I have 5 days on a Dupraz D1; two on powder, two on hardpacked groomers and this morning with 3" of fresh over raincrust - everything from steep half covered baby firs to low angle powfields to easy blue corduroy. This thing kills every surface. I always bring a couple boards but have been leaving the Steepwater and the HappyMonkey all-mtn alpine board in the car and just riding the Dupraz. The only time I thought it'd be nice to be on a different board was in the steep trees, a short Fish/Khyber/Malolo/Northshore would have been easier to throw around, but a better rider would have no problem there which can be seen from Bordy's review.

It's a sandwich construction board and quality looks great, fit & finish is beautiful. The only downside that I've found for the board is the appearance, it does not look like 99.998% of the other boards on the slope and people tend to want to talk to you about it in the lift line. No riding on the 'down-low' with a big red pointy board.

The Pogo's look great but I have a hard time seeing how there would be a performance difference anywhere near equivalent to the price difference. You should probably also consider one of the larger Tankers too. I owned a Tanker 200 and liked the ride but sold it to help pay for the Dupraz. If I had big open powfields, I can't think of anything I'd rather ride than a Tanker 200 (except maybe the Pogo 200). Unfortunately, that's not the nature of riding in the Washington. The guys riding Mt Hood down in Oregon dig their Tankers the most.

I'd never be able to use a swallowtail in the heavy stuff we have around here. I'd also be worried about getting air off all the natural hits with a swallowtail, biff a landing, snap, and you've got a cool looking wall hanging. And then there's riding switch...

The ride takes a little getting used to but I have had _zero_ second thoughts about shelling out the $$ for the Dupraz.

T.

both those boards looks like they would be a blast

IMHO for deep pow ditch hardboots and get something BIG like a tanker or doughboy, wanna ride trees then go for a deep taipered board burton fish or a prior kyber or if you live somewhere that gets HUGE dumps get a big swallow tail

all have their advantages at certain times, build a quiver

I really want to give a Dupraz a try though but it unless they make one in 190+ you are never gonna feel the ultimate in float when the snow is dry like they get in UT

Thanks dudes and dudetts,

Bordy- Your write up and video was what got me all excited in the first place. I mean, hey, if you like it, it must be more than average good.:cool:

D.T.- I read Bolas` thread too,:biggthump

Hans- I think I read something from you on the EC site and that`s what got me looking at the Pogo 180.

Thomas- your the sole (soul) D1 owner around here it seems. Stoked to here how much your enjoying it. I too really wonder about that huge price differential, seems so out of proportion to performance.(At a guess).

I have considered swallow tails but being a surfer, i have the habit of always looking for banks and wind lips to hit and quiet often that means losing an edge on the lip and dropping out of the lip backwards(fakie).

I`m sure a swallowtail wouldn`t last a week in my hands.:o

I am also considering a Tanker, there is the Giant Tokyo snowboard sale on in a couple of weeks, if I can pick up a tanker 200 on the cheap there, I will. Then I`ll look around to see if I get get a test ride on the Pogo or the Dupraz.

bobdea- Quivers are the name of the game. I`m just starting on the snowboard quiver, but give me a few years and I`ll be stylin`.

All good, keep on carvin`, whatever your chosen medium. It`s the style that counts!:biggthump

Surfinsmiley, I lived in Japan for 10 years and my friend Atsushi is the Rad-Air distributer for Japan. You can contact him at DOD Sports (thier office is in Asakusa) to ask what they have left (e-mail: atsu@dod-net.com or try to call him at 035-830-1131). I rode the 200's everywhere in Japan with no problems and loved it. I got to do some good comparisons of the Dupraz while at the Longboard Classic in Stuben Austria last April, but I am hooked on the Tankers and have not found anything to compare with them yet.

cheers and good luck,

sandy

I have nothing but praise for my Pogo (with woodveener topsheet). Although quite hard conditions i have been riding the Pogo this weekend leaving the carvedeck in the car. It´s a tight turning ripping little machine. I ride it with Intecbindings and as someone mentioned it holds the edge on blue ice. To sum it up:

It´s a good POW board

It´s a fun and tight turning carvedeck

It looks awesome.

Total: It worth every euro.

That said - I havent tried the Dupras. But from what I have seen on video it looks as a very similar ride to the Pogo.

I bringing my longboard to Aspen so if your lucky you can try it.

Mats

Thanks mats,

Sounds like everyone loves that shape wheather it be a Dupraz or a Pogo.

I have just hooked up with the Rad Air ditributor here in Japan and "hopefully" will have a Tanker 200 in my quiver by Saturday.

I will see if I can hook up a demo somewhere on a D1 or 180 Longboard, I am purposely getting the biggest tanker so there is still plenty of room in the quiver for a shorter powder stick.

I wonder if the North American board builders will get on the proverbial bandwagon with this stye of board? Seems like it already gaining a good following.:biggthump

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Both Dupraz and the Pogo Longboard are great shapes. I ride my longboard (175) in any and all conditions, it's the way an all mountain board should be. Fun to ride no matter where you take it. As for the price difference, I would think the Pogo will make up for the extra cost with a longer lifespan, but if you dont think you'll use it enough for that to matter the Dupraz might be the better choice. I'd like to see this shape on the mountain more, I hope North American manufacturers catch on. Burton came close with the fish and arbor with the abacus, but they still missed their target. Well, enjoy the tanker and let us know what you thought of the ride, conditions, ect.

I still have a Poggo Longboard or a Dupraz D1 in my sights for next season but for the moment I`m loving life with my new tanker.

As luck would have it, the powder slowed immensly as soon as I got it! The deepest powder I`ve ridden in is about knee deep on top of a very hard base.

As everyone knows they float like a dream, once it`s up to a good speed there seems to be little that it`s not capable of. I am really impressed with the turn ability of the 11m sidecut, now that I`m used to it, I don`t think I`ll ever ride less than 10m of sidecut again.

I have had a few perfect groomer days on it which have been really good for my carving. I think because it`s relatively soft it carves at slow to med/high speed really well. If I can get my technique right it locks into carves that I thought it would take me years to learn.:biggthump

The only time I seem to have trouble is when it gets all lumped up from all the "sideslippers" pushing up mounds of snow on the steeps, but I have trouble on any board in those conditions.:o I either end up being a "sideslipper" or get locked into a speed run that gets really scarey really fast, skipping across the top of the crud with the board shaking like a wild thing.:eek: