Note to New Members ×

Southern Ontario Session '06 (New Thread)

csquared

We pretty much had a mini SOS today at MSLM. I counted 8 people on your list that were riding today. I saw at least 16 hardbooters on the hill.

They got a good dumping up there yesterday and it was great today after it got groomed.

I won't be joining you guys on Friday, but hopefully it will be a great day.

Gabe

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to travel this week so I am going to try to get all of this down for everyone tonight.

If you need driving directions you can find them here. I am sure that there will be many people coming from the Toronto area and you could probably snag a ride if you need one or want companionship.

You will be looking for the main lodge. The drive to the main lodge has the Osler Bluff sign out by the road. There is a second lodge which is quite close to the road called the Orchard Lodge (we met there last year). You will only be able to pick up tickets at the main lodge. The lodge is the most prominent building once you are in the parking lot. The ticket window is in the passage under the building that passes from the parking lot area to the base of the hill. Your ticket will be reserved under your name and you will be paying for it at the window (cash or visa). You will also be signing a waiver. If I don't have your name, its too late and you won't be riding. If you enter the lodge by the doors adjacent to the ticket window, you will find lockers and changing facilities. Be nice, leave your board outside (stuff rarely gets stolen at Osler but if you want to lock up go ahead).

Lifts should start running between 8:15 and 8:30. If you are there early enough, we will ride up at 8:30 on the high-speed quad.

The best riding in the morning will be on the Orchard side (southeast end of the club or left side as you look up the hill) which will get any early sun there might be. This is also a good place to get limbered up and build confidence before hitting the tougher stuff. Snowridge is a good warm up. Exhibition and Valley can keep me amused for hours. The Gulch can be a lot of childish fun with a group. The Orchard has a perfect pitch down the right hand side if you are just learning your technique for steeper terrain. If the light is good, we should shoot some video on the pitch of Exhibition.

The runs around the main high speed quad will tend to get more skier traffic and will get cut up faster. If you are feeling confident, take your runs on these hills early before the ski groups arrive. Slalom will challenge your steep technique to the max. Sleighride is good for steady pitch rates with no appreciable cross fall but watch the chop in the middle of the hill as the groomers always seem to leave a ridge down the middle. Rattler is like a boardercross without the gates. Marshall is a good confidence builder but watch out for ski classes.

We will meet at the Upper Chalet at 12:00 for lunch. The Upper Chalet is at the top of the high speed quad. If you pack a lunch, remember to bring a backpack. There is limited food service at this chalet but you should be able to find something you can eat.

In the afternoon, I would suggest we head over to the north side of the hill where the Poplar chair is. This side of the club sees very light traffic usually and is in good shape most afternoons. Also the light gets better on this side after lunch. Shaws Run, Lookout, Breakaway are all great runs. If the light is good, we should shoot video on Lookout or Shaws.

If you start at 8:30, you are likely going to be thinking fondly of something wet and cold by 2:30. We will start meeting at the main lodge at around this time. At 3:30 I am guessing that everyone will likely be off the hill as the light gets really miserable after 3:00. If anyone has gear to sell / swap / or just show off, we will be getting together in the "race room" at 3:45 to 4:45. The race room is directly under the ski shop (in the building to the right of the main lodge as you face the hill); enter by the sliding door that faces the parking lot and the race room is immediately on the right. There are benches and tuning equipment there. If anyone needs tuning tips I am sure that we can arrange an impromptu demo. Then its back to the main lodge for whoever is left and interested in a beer.

If you have an FRS radio, tune if to channel 7 / 21 (for no other good reason than the fact that mine is already tuned there). Photographers, bring your cameras. Videographers bring your gear.

There are no demos organized but if you want to share the love with your brother (or sister) carver, feel free. The race room (mentioned above) is a good place for repairs or adjustments but you should bring your own tools.

Looking forward to this. Lets hope the weather holds.

This is going to be great! (said in my best Flounder voice)

Osler has the nicest snow and the most consistent pitch in the Collingwood area.

I'm going to bring a couple of boards for people to try out - a Prior 174 4WD and a Volkl 168 GS RT. If anyone has any small boards (<150cm) that they want to move, please bring it. My daughter has caught the racing bug.

If anyone wants a ride from West Toronto (Etobicoke), email me.

Dave,

I will try to call someone at the club about doing much of a setup. One workmate on the deck should be okay, as long as we are tidy and don't block anyone. It is a Friday this time not a regular club day, so there are fewer members and more guests (works in our favour).

The club does organize demo days with Squire John and sets up tents and racks for skiis, so it is not that unusual.

IF the weather forecast holds true (major leap of faith) it should be a sunny day.

John

Everyone:

I called the club, and it is a clear NO to setting up anything like a tent, table of workmate on either the snow or the deck. I was quoted a series of "health and safety" rules and policy of the club maintenance department. We must use the wax room (race room) for work surfaces.

Sorry about this. The only other allowed area is beside your vehicle in the parking lot. On the other hand, the race room is a nice new setup, and has snowboard clamps and good usable counter space.

Squire John's apparently gets a dispensation from the board of directors of the club for their demo day setup!

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Friday.

BTW Chris - if you are reading this, Jennifer needs your contract ASAP!

John

Hoho - T handle Allen keys at 10 paces.

Set up for 7 degrees rear with 1/2 degree inward cant, front 3 degrees toe lift but flat. That should only take half an hour. If either of us misses an O ring we are disqualified. No cheat sheets, we'll have to memorize how many washers above and below the plate. Can't miss any of the elastomers either!

If we sell refreshments to the audience, the longer we take the more we'll make!

John:

Faxed the paperwork to Jenipher at about 4:30 today (after Osler office hours). Also left voicemail and e-mail for her. Hopefully the info carpet-bombing meets her needs. I will be offline for the next two days. Maybe you can call and see if she is still confused.

I'm not surprised about the workmate-on-the-deck stickiness. I will bring my portable bench for the day and set it up in the race room. The so-called snowboard vises are of the wobbly non-clamping variety.

Any snowboard swapping / test-pilotting is strictly on an at-your-own-risk basis. We don't have those carefully worded waiver forms that they use at SES / ECES. Provided that is clear, have fun and don't hurt yourself or anyone else.

Just to confirm for all, here is the list that Osler will have on file for tickets:

List of Guests

Anatoly Andrushchenko

Chris Ball

Rob Cox

Darren Eagles

John Hevesi

Chris Houghton

Henry Kim

Greg Marsden

Beth McNally

Mike McNally

Colin McNally

Dave Morgan

Andrea Morgan

John O’Brien

Derek Peeling

Victor Plopeanu

Rob Smith

Dan Stewart

Rob Sydia

Arthur Tateishi

Bruce Varsava

Imo Weinert

Co-ordinators:

Chris Couse

John McCutcheon

If your name does not appear in this list, better luck next year. This is not a public club and you won't be able to pick up a ticket on a casual basis. When you come to pick up your ticket let them you know you are part of the Southern Ontario Carvers group (okay, its not too catchy but it works for their purposes). Weather forecast looks good with some sun predicted for Friday but possibility of warmer temperatures.

Here we go SOS '06.

Hey Guys, I broke my arm...

Racing at Caledon last Sat., on a toe side, lost my edge; a"light" body slam and back up, (with a sore arm) I finish my run.

My kinesiology daughter looks at my arm and proclaims; "a colles fracture" and drives me to the hospital to prove it.

I'm pissed. Mom is really pissed.

I'll take a rain cheque. I was so pumped to ride with the gang this Friday.

I'm going to Whistler with a cast.

EMAIL SENT REGARDING RIDE

This is going to be great! (said in my best Flounder voice)

Osler has the nicest snow and the most consistent pitch in the Collingwood area.

I'm going to bring a couple of boards for people to try out - a Prior 174 4WD and a Volkl 168 GS RT. If anyone has any small boards (<150cm) that they want to move, please bring it. My daughter has caught the racing bug.

If anyone wants a ride from West Toronto (Etobicoke), email me.

Hi CSquare,

Not that I want to be opportunistic...However I have been able to arrange for last minute childcare so I could go if...

CSquare, any chance I can be an oriental Rob Smith for a day? I know it's last minutes and I won't be able to be there til about 10am (can't leave til the school bus leaves...). I'll owe you at least a beer!!

I hope I can join the fun on Friday.

John Vu

PS: Rob, sorry about your Colles' #, fortunately most of them will heal real well.

We are now past the 72 hour cutoff for guests in advance of the event (the club's rule, not mine). I will have to enquire tomorrow while making sad noises and apologies for having left one important person off the list.

I let you know tomorrow night how it goes John. If I had to bet, I would say you have better than an even chance because the guest revenues have been fairly weak this year so far.