Note to New Members ×

Burton Binding question

tex1230

tex...those look like the bindings that came on a board I bought, and in all honesty they looked pretty damn flmsy to me. skinny bales, thin base plates, and pretty rudimentary construction.

I dont know your riding style, but...Id inspect them thoroughly for cracks every time I rode them if I were you.

Guest Randy S.

From the pic they look to be in pretty good shape. Just put them in the classified section and you've got a quick route to a discounted set of TD2s. Let some 120lb girl ride in them.

I am 240 and rode them for 2 years with no problem but who knows, I just broke a set of Rossignol bindings last year .

Judging by the picture you posted, the disk is mounted the wrong way. You should turn it around so it adjusts forward and back, not edge to edge.

I did buy myself a peice of mind this year though, Cateks and will use the race plates to lend to friends and a backup set in case I have an equipment malfunction.

I have a pair of those exact Burton race plates. I haven't had any trouble with those particular plates. The bails are thinner than those on Bomber or some other bindings. In the past I have snapped bails. I don't think the bail is the problem with these bindings. The problem is that the actual alluminum base, under the plastic one, is to thin. I have cracked many of them. I even went as far to order a few extras from Burton before they stopped distributing their racing products. One instance I actually snapped a binding in half when the base plate failed. I wish I took a picture of it.

Just sell them on ebay or here and put the cash towards td's or cateks.

Probably get 50 to 75 bucks.

Or do what I did and keep them for your powder/freeride/rock board.

After you carve in good conditions with stiff beefy bindings, the burtons feel like freaking slop city by comparison, unless they are burton physics, but they will be extinct soon.

I have ridden race plates for several years!!!! I have never had a pair even hint at stress. I am 205 dressed on the hill and I push board binding and boot very hard and have never had a problem. Yes, they are old and bomber has a heck of a binding. I wouldn't just turn your back on them, just use them with some care and awareness. I have never had a bail or plate fail yet, but I am always keeping an eye on them.

Back when I was riding burton race plates of similar construction, I wieghed 175lbs (if I went swimming in my gear before getting on my board) . . . if I was lucky. I got about a year our of my first pair, and about a half year our of the replacements. Both broken bail issues.

Sell-em. Someone will buy them and then you can get some TD2's or OS2's

If you already have them use them. There is a reason why at one time these were the most widely use plate binding in the world, and if you could still easily get replacement parts many people would still be on these. The two biggest people on the U.S. Snowboard Team still use them. Over time they will start to get stressed and break, but for most people that's after 100's of days on snow. My opnion is that it's already snowboard season use what you have replace as needed.