Note to New Members ×

how long have you been hardbooting

ncermak

How long have you been hardbooting (skiing doesn't count)  

122 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been hardbooting (skiing doesn't count)

• 0 - gonna start this year
    • 3-4
    • 5-6
    • 7-8
    • 9-10
    • More than 10

Riding since '86, plates since '96. First board was a Burton Performer Elite 150, first alpine board a Crazy Banana Rush 168 (asym). I've tried to sell the Crazy B a couple of times, but something always seemed to kill the sale. I guess the universe is trying to tell me to hold onto my "first" boards, since I still have both of 'em, and now I wouldn't think of selling either.

I tried a PJ6 with Reactor boots from a Burton demo van in 1994 at Jay Peak and I was instantly hooked! Since I was in high school and I bought a Burton Air 6.1 with Airwalk boots the year before (for versatility), I had no money, so I had to wait a couple of years when I got enought moeny and got A Freesurf Highlander 155 on sale during the summer of 1997 (1995 model year). With that I bought Burton Performance plates Burton Furnace boots (on sale, not as big a discount as the board - I still use them to this day).

By that time, I spent half the time with hardboots and half the time with softboots, all depending on the mountain and the conditions. Still, I was having a hard time with my alpine board as it was too stiff and short for my liking. I then sold it in the Autumn of 2000 to get a new board, but did not get one until the Autumn of 2001. The Winter of 2001 was hell, I almost stopped snowboarding. The I got my actual board, a Nitro GTX 166 (2000 model year), and started having fun again. I got out my soft board twice, once to teach a friend to ride properly and once because I was expecting Spring conditions. I regreted getting it out the second time. So that's my story and where I am at.

I am looking for a new board for this winter for softer conditions/crud, and I am hesitating between an all-mountain board, a BX board or a wide freecarve board.

Started in 1986 with a Burton Elite 150 with fastex/webbing, which required adjusting every run. Went to a Sims 1710 Blade, the bindings didn't need adjusting but they were painful, painful with the Sorel/ski bladder combo. Bought a Gnu Race Room with Elfgen Plates and hot pink Koflach Snowboarders in 1990, never went back to softies.