Note to New Members ×

Donek sizing

skatha

As I write this, know that I need ankle surgery so there is no rush-I will be on "IR" for about 3 months....

I was looking at the Nidecker Proto-the 159 size since I weigh about 135 lbs

The new Nidecker line-the Proto is apparently the "NBX"now, but, at least by the website, is looking more like a freestyle board than a carving board.

I already have a freestyle board...

So, onto Donek....

The freecarve board looks pretty sweet but the shortest length is 163. Is this too long?

I'm 5'5" tall and I'm pretty muscular for a female-swimming in college for the university team will do that for you, plus lifting weights for about 15 years, too-and we won't count the long distance bike races I've been doing since 1992....

That would really be a better question for Sean. But he has a lot of choice that maybe you're not aware of - if you look at the specifications of the Race model, there are a ton of custom templates already done in various lengths and stiffnesses, surely something in there would be suitable for you. Pop him an email or phone call, he's a very helpful guy.

"The new Nidecker line-the Proto is apparently the "NBX"now, but, at least by the website, is looking more like a freestyle board than a carving board."

Actually, the Proto is plain GONE. The NBX is the old Project TM - that board's dimensions haven't really changed. Freeride shape - NOT a freestyle deck - much stiffer, different construction, different application. This is their BX board. The thing actually rails very nice for a wide-ish board.

Skatha:

I do have a '99 157 Alp that I can let go of for like $75 plus ship. It's in beautiful condition - just need to have something that offers 3D center disc. Had this thing up for some time on classifieds. Hell, I just may bump it up one more time and re-post the pics. It's a great entry level freecarve deck made for the lighter rider. Just a thought. Can't remember, but seems I may have talked to you about it before? If so, sorry for the repeat. Good luck!

Skatha:

I would not look at the length as much as the sidecut and stiffness. I weigh 195 and I used to ride a Donek FC 163, and there was plenty of stiffness to support me. (I just didn't get along with that board - even though I love other Doneks, but I digress...)

By the same token, my wife is a very experienced freerider but is relatively new to alpine. She has a Coiler FC 165. Many would say that "it's too long for her especially as a beginner". But the flex is just right, and sidecut is open enough (10.5) so she can ride hard and not lose her breath, and she feels very comfortable with the legth. She loves it. On the other hand, I grabbed her a used Nitro GTX 154 - and she will only ride it if there are rocks showing through, because she feels really skittish on it. The flex is also pretty soft - perhaps a little softer than her Coiler - but she says it feels unstable. And she rides it like she feels unstable.

I would agree with Neil, give Sean a call @ Donek. There are lots of custom models. Lots of great shapes - you could always ask him about making an existing shape w/ a flex that works for your stage of riding.

The freecarve board looks pretty sweet but the shortest length is 163. Is this too long?...

I'm 5'7", 132 lb. I demo'd the Donek 163 FCII last season. I rode it for 3 days. I liked the board so much, I put one on order. My review is in the BOL review section.

Once you are healed up, I highly recommend you call up Donek and arrange for a mail order demo. That is the best way to determine if the Donek Freecarve is the right board for you. You only have to pay for return shipping.

So, onto Donek....

The freecarve board looks pretty sweet but the shortest length is 163. Is this too long?

I'm 5'5" tall and I'm pretty muscular for a female-swimming in college for the university team will do that for you, plus lifting weights for about 15 years, too-and we won't count the long distance bike races I've been doing since 1992....

Again Sean is the best person to tell you, but my opinion is that the 163 is definitely not too long for you if you are an athletic 5'5". I know of a bunch of riders your height that ride boards in that range or longer. However, it is likely going to be too stiff for you. I remember both Mike T and Joecarve (riders who I actually know in person) commenting that the Freecarve series felt a bit stiff. This gave me pause as I'm 5'8" 150 lbs and they are around 190 and 165 lbs respectively. Lemme see if I can dig up a post:

My first board (not counting a Liquid SL 159 I rode twice and got rid of because it was way too stiff for me to bend) was a Donek FC 163 and it treated me very well.

Many more experienced riders rave about the edge hold of these boards... I, as a less experienced rider, found it to be a bit stiff on ice but just what I wanted in good snow. The 163 has a 10 m radius which means *tight* turns. I think I would have enjopyed the board even more in Colorado snow than Mt Hood snow which can be, er, very fickle.

I also have the Axis 172, and now a Coiler PR 184. I wound up selling the Freecarve because the Axis was better in variable conditions and I like being on something longer when the grooming is good.

Jim Callen recently posted a Donek 160 SL for sale because it was too stiff for him (I recall he's in the 150 range) and that was the same stiffness as the Freecarve 163. I would suggest you ask Sean about Donek's new still semi-secret Pilot models of boards they have a 157 140 8.8 19.5 designed for smaller riders (less stiff and more affordable). I think by far that is your best bet if you are interested in a Donek. I think it should obviously be said that despite what it looks like... Donek/Prior/Coiler are not the only companies out there with decent boards on the market. Furthermore you shouldn't think that you *need* to buy a shiny new board to learn how to ride... there are many very good condition used boards at *extremely* good prices in the Classified section.

Lonerider's post brings up something I'd like to set the record straight on:

When my FC 163 was my only alpine board, I thought I got along with it. I had ridden a few other loaners, a Burton, that Liquid, and the FC blew them all away. Now that I've tried longer Doneks, some Coilers, a Madd, and a few others, I know that I did not get along with that FC very well. Shows how one's perspective changes over time. FWIW I rode a FC 171 last December and didn't like it any better. (And I am very pro-Donek in general - love their freeride boards, my Axis 172, the CMC 186....)

Thanks for the input!!!!

I know Sean seems to be quite helpful-heck, I've read his posts and I thought he could probably help me...

As for not getting a shiny new board, my only problem is getting one that looks good in the pics but may not be quite"up to snuff" when it comes to performance-call it paranoid, but I've slept in too many junker cars I've purchased over the years. Plus, I love my beat ole Custom rock board, but it's in no shape to sell to anyone-not that anyone here would sell me a beater :eek:

Plus, I'm just fantasizing--afterall, it's still 100 degrees down here and we still have no gas or groceries....

There's nothing like dreaming of a dream run down a pristine groomer when you're popping alleves, sweating bullets, and looking for the secret gas stash....

Beer just is not as satisfying.....

if so, i'd take Kirk up on his Alp. I bought a used Alp off of ebay, i've jsut ordered a FC 163, and I'm also a very light rider (similar to gdbytyler). The Alp was money well spent. If you have to have something new, try something on klugriding.com. I personally wouldn't recommend a FC1 as your first alpine board, but you are athletic...now, how long is your season? if you have the luxury of many riding days and space to learn on / turn, then you can prolly grow into it. I personally would rather start small, ride something that I can master or at least ride quite well, then go from there. if it's too stiff you will get frustrated and tired. good luck. and, as others said, i would recommend calling Donek Sean.

Thanks for the input!!!!

As for not getting a shiny new board, my only problem is getting one that looks good in the pics but may not be quite"up to snuff" when it comes to performance-call it paranoid, but I've slept in too many junker cars I've purchased over the years. Plus, I love my beat ole Custom rock board, but it's in no shape to sell to anyone-not that anyone here would sell me a beater :eek:

I too was apprehensive about buying a used board... but the money you save is tremendous and buying a used board is nothing like buying a used car... if you know the make/model/year/mileage... you basically know what you are going to get. There is very little possibility that the board could be internally damaged without their being external signs - and, as you mentioned, the alpine community is very tight knit and when a board is "not ridable--a classic wall art piece" they will tell you beforehand so there are no surprises.

To be honest, you already spent your big bucks wisely on a good pair of boots and bindings... as a beginner its very rare to find a board that will be forgiving for you in the beginning but still have the performance you'll want in a few years, and not have a high price tag or a very long waitlist. I personally didn't really like my Burton Ultraprime that much... but it was good enough for me to learn on. I do really like the Madd 170 that I'm on now though (better than the other Priors and Doneks I've tried), but I got them when they were cheaper than a Donek/Prior.

give sean a call and also ask Kent about other options as well and for general input

He is always looking for decks for his lightweight racers so he should be able to help you out as far what will work for you.

If you don't mind the wait you could order a Coiler(coilers are built with your weight in mind) and for the time being buy a "beater" I got a new factory prime 151 with bindings last winter on ebay for like $115 shipped

its always good to have spare deck anyway ;)

I rode Steph's FC I (I think it's a 163) in January at Stratton. I had a fantastic day on it - once it's up and carving, it's just awesome, but it's not relaxing or forgiving. You have to ride it all the time, and to my mind, especially in the afternoon when the legs start to fail, that can be an issue. I like my boards a little more laid back.

I'm 5'9" and 150, so a bit bigger than you.

I suppose it depends on the type of riding you're doing, but for sure I would get hold of the mail demo, as you're the only one who knows how it feels under your feet.

According to my last physical, I'm ~5'6", 143lbs. I just came off riding my Volkl RTSL 163. Rode the camber out of it, literally. That board is not at all forgiving, but an absolute joy to ride; but I'd be cooked after a few hours.

At the end of last season, I demo'd a Donek FC1 171, and it was nice. In that length, much more of a 'cruiser' than my Volkl, and I was actually able to relax and conserve energy. But, at that length, it felt way too damp and long for my weight.

That said, I have a FC2 167 on the way for this season. It should be just what I'm looking for in terms of length and ride. As far as width goes, I chose the wider board for my mondo 27s, and my dislike of extreme binding angles.

I am 5'6" and a portly 180lbs and not to athletic. I started riding last year (after 13 years of softies) on a Speed 160. Really like the board but I knew by the end of the season I knew I would outgrow it. so this year I picked up a FP167. But enough about me. I went riding with a girl who was about 5'5" 130ish who rode a FP164 and loved it.

Just for a bit of info, the FC line has been softened a bit this season. Hopefully it will hit the target for you guys who feel it's ben too stiff, but not too soft for those who like it where it's been.

There is another option (sorry the new site isn't up yet). Our new pilot series might be the ideal option if you're on a budget and looking for a board to start out on. It comes in 6 sizes (147, 152, 157, 167, 168, 172) and is softer flexing than the FC series. It sells for $375. If you'll be needing bindings, we can get you the board and some F2s for $575. A board and bindings for less than the cost of standard deck. I'm sure Fin has some close out boots for sale as well.

something I have noticed over the years with various boards is that a longer board doesn't need to be as stiff to achieve the same speed/feel as a shorter board...

I noticed that when on a short board (sub 160/165) it has to be stiff or I will blow out of turns...longer boards (over 170) can be softer (for me) and I'm still able to maintain speed and hold an edge in a turn. I'm sure that sidecut also plays apart in this however other than sidecut radii that I like the feel of, my knowedge isn't as deep or fluent as others here. That said I know I would rather push a soft(er) long board than a stiff(er) short board...and my legs like it better too :D