Note to New Members ×

Journey of expensive boot swapping

Neil Gendzwill

So a few years ago after some 3 decades of hard-booting I decided to check out current softboot gear.  Got myself a pair of previous years Ions at a deal and some used Genesis X from Jack.  Worked pretty good for the few days I got to ride it, then Covid hits.

A couple years later I get back on the slopes and what do you know, my hip has gotten so bad I can barely reach to buckle up the bindings.  So I ebay the setup and buy some step-on Ions and Xes.  I get the Ions in the same size as the previous (10) but it turns out that the step on ones are narrower and the cleats are in exactly the wrong place so these are super painful. 

Flash forward to next season where I ebay the Ions and get some Photon wides because there are no wide Ions.  Now I discover that they are too soft and furthermore once the width is good a 10 is a bit too long and I'm slopping around in them. 

My hips been repaired and I could probably go back to straps but I like the stepons.  Luckily? this season wide Ions are available so I bought a pair of 9.5s which seem to fit well and will ebay the Photons in a month or so when interest gears up.

I reckon I'm only out a thousand or two in depreciation as I cycle through all this softboot gear.

Just felt the need to vent.  Anyone else spending stupid money looking for just the right thing?

there are many paths down the rabbit hole when it comes to snowboard equipment; alpine and/or carve specific can be even worse. while there's a large focus on boards, which are also important, many say boots are #1 so if there's one dark costly path we must go down, this is the first. what about liner options? foot beds? any change from stock liners? the journey may have just begun.

at least snowboards only have two edges, so diamond stones get twice the use than if we ski'd. there's light at the end of the tunnel. promise.

I attempted to migrate to softies in 2018 on a BXFR; soft boots with standard bindings and I just did not get along.  Mounted the some F2 Titanflex (step-ins) on the BXFR using UPZ boots and continue with this set-up.  Something Bruce dubbed as "hard-on-soft".  Now I have a few narrower versions of  BXFR's set-up around 28f / 10r. 

I'm reminded of a meme I saw recently -

If you're wondering why Gen-X is crabby, it's because we had to replace our record collection with a tape collection that we had to replace with a CD collection that we had to replace with an MP3 collection, and now we have to pay for a subscription to listen to music.

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

I'm reminded of a meme I saw recently -

If you're wondering why Gen-X is crabby, it's because we had to replace our record collection with a tape collection that we had to replace with a CD collection that we had to replace with an MP3 collection, and now we have to pay for a subscription to listen to music.

Only if you were foolish enough to get rid of your CDs.

Rip your CDs to FLAC or WAV format files on a laptop or mobile phone, run Foobar 2000 or a some other FLAC player, connect to a DAC ( and there are plenty of inexpensive high performing ones out there), and then to your old stereo amp. Now sit back and enjoy a level of detail you never knew the CDs held, and (almost) no clicks, pops or skips from needles in grooves or scratches on your CDs.

I'm using a Topping D10 DAC with a Technics amp I bought in 1982 to do exactly that. The DAC will also make the most of any streamed music files as well.

4 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Now sit back and enjoy a level of detail you never knew the CDs held

If you need a second opinion send me a flash drive and I’ll be glad to give it  a listen.

Back to the boots. If that is the only thing in this sport draining your wallet lucky you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I went through multiple sets of Burton Photon wides. @Neil Gendzwill I just learned recently the Burton wides are a scam; the only thing different is the liner. Until last year, the stiffest model of wides I knew of were the Burton Photon wides. The liner just has spandex instead of foam in two small sections. If you need a reference, my foot is likely beyond 6E in the wrong spot (midfoot vs forefoot), I downsize to MP 25 for softboots, 24 for softboots. In terms of hiking boots; Merrell winter boots in 26.5 WIDE is too narrow, but KEEN regular 26.5 Polar IV is great. If it gives you yet another piece of information. I bought aftermarket burton lifeliners that come standard with the ION and put them in my "photon scam wides"; no issues.

I bought two pairs of Ions (non-wide) for this season. They fit me great. I have no doubt my fat foot will squish out the liner anyways within a day or two vs heat molding it out of the box. The ion lasts are wider than the RIde Insanos. Otherwise I would have tried the **** around and find out game with them due to the longevity of the stiffer flex. I also have an aftermarket intuition dreamliner ready-to-go for the ions if I want to use them.

I think you’re wrong about the wides. I tried to heat mold my Ions a couple times and no joy. I have no clue how you jam your feet into them. The normal Ions fit me fine, the step ons are definitely narrower. 

But the step on Photon wides were comfortable out of the box and so are my new step on Ion wides.