Note to New Members ×

Somewhat O/T: snow-worthy cars

Mike T

I second the bad review of Volvo-they suck since Ford bought 'em...

My new snowcar has gone from being "on order" to "in production" :eplus2:

Hear hear to that. I have owned two Mazdas. One was pre-ford, and another was post-ford. the pre-ford was completely solid and reliable. the post-ford? what a joke.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm... 1) He actually mentions looking at the Honda Pilot in his post. 2) The post is over a year old and if you read the thread further you'll find out he bought a Subaru Outback.

Well spank me silly...sorry to waste your time. Because I didn't waste much of mine not reading this whole thread...next time I will read it in it's entirety.

Wow, that's the first time I have been spanked on this board in nearly 3 years, actually maybe the second...back to my corner...

can add anyone to a "VIP list" that gets you 2% below invoice for any model Subaru

Don't mean to piss in your Cheerios, but that's the deal that many dealerships will offer to anyone who walks in their doors. The way Subaru's pricing is structured, dealerships still turn profits on cars sold for "less than invoice."

That many dealerships will offer to anyone who walks in their doors. The way Subaru's pricing is structured, dealerships still turn profits on cars sold for "less than invoice."
I know the VIP list is pretty common (it is mentioned a bit in the Subaru forums at LegacyGT.com ), but I'd thought I'd pass it along since no one else mentioned it. None of the three dealerships in my area mentioned it, maybe it's because we don't get any snow below 2000 ft. The offer they did give me was $2500 below invoice - and then there's the $2000 manufacturer's rebate (this is for the '06 model, I decided I like the '07 model better as I mentioned before).

I just traded my 2000 Legacy 5 speed wagon (bone stock... they don't make them base like this anymore) for a Dodge Caliber R/T AWD.

I usually stay away from 1st generation cars, but whatever... this thing is cool. Like my sled, it has a CV style tranny which doesn't step gears... just one gear all the way up and down. It's a bit plastic-y on the inside and my DH bike won't go inside like it used to in the longer Subaru, so I got a trailer hitch mounted bike rack. I hate having stuff on the roof, though, so it'll be a drag to go back to the box for winter.

Can't wait to take this thing to Revelstoke and then down to Trout Lake in sideways weather, towing a sled and trailer. Should be good times.

I did have some narrow cookie cutters on the Legacy for awhile and you could not put that car off its line. Never did any mods on it for more power... not that I don't get into road shredding, it's just too expensive in gas and fines.

A.U.D.I.

great used prices( around or under 10K) for super fun to drive sedans and wagons if you like to go stupid fast in all conditions. Look into a S car Or a 20v,(some are as low as 3K) my 20v is made to opertate at higher elevations and is a rally car drivers dream it won, its class at Pikes peak several years, even the front end is shaped so you can bash through snow banks left by the plow! It was dirt cheap :biggthump and I drive it as hard as I can and it does great.

Just got wifey an '05 A4 1.8 and it's supposed to be great in snow. Traded in a Trailblazer LTZ with 90K and the gas mileage is almost double on the highway with the Audi.

Anyone have experience with A4s in "real" snow conditions ? It's got some phat Pirrellis but not sure if they're super snow worthy.

Downside was last week it had the side window smashed in, broad daylight on a busy street and they plucked the Magellan GPS/NAV off the dash.

friggin' crackheads ! :freak3:

Anyone have experience with A4s in "real" snow conditions ?

I used to rallycross mine - does that count?

With reasonable snow tires (like Alpins), the A4 will be hands-down the best snow car you've ever driven. Its limits are very high, its behavior is very predictable. I brought mine to Stowe once before the lots had been plowed. The snow was higher than the hood, and the car just kept on going. It took a fair effort to open the doors once parked. The car is simply amazing in the snow.

• 2 weeks later...

D-sub

I think you can pull 2500 lbs with it that is what my Forester is rated for. I have pulled a sled trailer and a small boat (sunfish) on a trailer. The only problem is I think you need to buy the hitch from Subaru I don't think any else makes one that fits. They may now...

Awesome car! :biggthumpI want one so much, but I don't have the $$$ for now. Maybe in a couple of years... The only drawback of the Prius in winter driving is that with the cold weather, the engines shuts down less often (it has to be warm enough to shut down automatically). I also heard rumors about the windshield washer lines freezing.

wanted to bump this with a question

looking at an 06 Outback 2.5i

would I be able to tow with this? small stuff...a u-haul trailer say?

D-sub,

there are a few other issues to think about when towing. Will the car's frame support the tounge weight of what your going to tow? Will the car be able to stop what you are going to tow? How much does the car weigh compared to what you want to tow? If you are out on the highway and a truck passes its nice to outweigh what you are towing. What is the wheel base of the car compared to the ball to axle distance on the trailer. This will affect how well the car and trailer will handle down the road. You "probably" will be ok but these are some things to think about.

Consider getting a Jeep Liberty for towing. They have a 2500lb or 3500lb towing capacity (can tow up to 5000 lbs with trailer tow package - class 3 hitch, heavy duty engine cooling, weight distributing hitch).

I just purchased a used '02 liberty renegade with all the fixins'. This is ready for the snow.

post-1129-141842219621_thumb.jpg

I do agree with you Neil. I would never tow up to the 5k lb limit with my liberty. I have a 3500lb (max weight including trailer, fuel, equipment) boat that I need to tow. I know it will be somewhat sluggish but I'm confident it'll handle it. Braking is an issue. Trailer brakes are a must on the heavier loads.

Jumping into this thread late but I have a lot of opinions on cars and I'm bored so here goes.

Best snow car I've ever owned or driven in was my '89 BMW 325iX. It ran circles around my friend's Mercedes ML "truck" in heavy snow. But alas, it's been out of production for 15 years.

Owned an 1999 A6 Quattro wagon and it was reasonable in the snow but I hated the vehicle overall. After the warranty was off, everything from cupholders to window guides would break.

I joined the SUV brigade a few years back and bought a Toyota 4Runner with the iForce V8. I basically bought it for the engine. That V8 is in everything from Landcruisers to Lexus LS400s and is basically bulletproof. It will outlive me, I'm sure. If you want a tough SUV, consider the 4Runner. It's a real truck (ie. ladder frame) but drives very smooth and quiet. It also comes standard with a tow package (oil cooler, class III hitch) and has a capacity of 6,000lbs, more if you add a weight distributing hitch.

I feel a bit guilty driving the Toyota since it's way too much vehicle for the city but it can't be beat in a snowstorm. Plus, I assuage my guilt by taking public transit a couple times a week.

The new 4Runner is a nice SUV that's also nice on the road (coil supensions in the rea), but my dad is looking for a truck with a shell that can also carry passengers so he's shying towards the Xterra. Only thing is he wisely won't buy until a diesel verion is released (ever?). Nissan makes astounding engines as well, and made the diesel for the International Scout.

Once the new batch of diesels hit the market, you can enjoy the peace of mind for owning an efficient (both more efficient and economical than hybirds), green vehicle that you can support our farmers with by using B100 biodiesel (oil, any kind basically) rather than supporting terrorists.

The Europeans have diesel figured out, why can't we Americans?! Driving by a gas station every day that sells B100 biodiesel makes me think more and more that I could be getting twice the gas milage that I'm currently getting with my gas/petrol engine.

No offense ursle, but you could be getting a lot more economy and be more kind of the environment if your Prius was diesel powered rather than a hybrid. That said, since you fortunately own a new enough model, you can mod your Prius to recharge from a standard AC outlet! Then _no_ emissions (depending on how you drive) with out the distance limitation of a purely electric car. Check out www.calcars.org.

A few european companies are working on a diesel hybrid so I hear, perhaps plugin by standard. If done right, that could be awesome.

Anyway, does no one know anything about the Infinity G35AWD?

I'm still driving a 1991 BMW 325iX, and enjoying it. The 170k miles on the odometer are starting to worry me though. BMW brought back the AWD option on the 3-series a couple years ago, so I was planning to get one this year or next. However the 2007 BMWs cost a lot more than a Subaru Legacy, and weigh a little more, and have a little less horsepower. And they're not as comfortable (though that could just be me).

I might be hitting the mountains in a Legacy this year, if I can just get over the idea of making car payments again. :)

Nate:

I sold my iX last fall and I nearly cried when it was being driven away. It was the best car I've ever owned but the A/C was shot and it was going to cost me too much to convert to R134a. One day, I swear I will buy another that was owned by some little old lady in Phoenix.

I swapped the iX for a 2003 320i. The 320i is a sleeper in the BMW world. Very smooth and peppy enough. And I get about 800kms on a tank during highway driving. Great car but I know it will not last like my e30. I already had a transmission module replaced under warranty. In my opinion, the new luxury cars have too much gadgetry that is bound to fail. I'm going to keep this car for 3 years tops and then find an old, pre-94 Mercedes sedan, probably a diesel.

Regarding hybrids, if you do the math, you can't cost justify it on fuel savings. You're way better off buying a sub-compact. I'm even skeptical on the emissions argument since modern gasoline engines are almost zero emission. What I do like about them is they are so quiet. I can also understand the feel-good argument for buying one. If I can buy a pickup to feel manly, why can't I buy a hybrid to feel green?

Dr. D., when you say truck with a shell, do you mean pickup with a cap? The Xterra is a 5 seater SUV just like the 4Runner (albeit a tad smaller). I drove when as a loaner and I liked it but compared to the 4Runner, it is rather unrefined.

Regarding hybrids, if you do the math, you can't cost justify it on fuel savings. You're way better off buying a sub-compact. I'm even skeptical on the emissions argument since modern gasoline engines are almost zero emission. What I do like about them is they are so quiet. I can also understand the feel-good argument for buying one. If I can buy a pickup to feel manly, why can't I buy a hybrid to feel green?

Unfortunately, with an hybrid, you will never (or rarely) get even on the money. You drive an hybrid for less emissions, not for money savings, and almost nobody understands that, so this is one of the reasons why they are not much more common.