Note to New Members ×

More time doing Norms for me!

1xsculler

Thanks for this link!

I really like that quote from Galmarini as back in 2005 I remember that feeling and I was in my Solomon SX-91 ski boots and riding a 175 Maverick Pure Carve. I’m struggling to get that feeling back on other than on a perfectly groomed bunny run!

I thought to follow up and say that I read all of those old articles 20+ years ago (or whenever it was) and loved them….the content is still true but it looks so antiquated to read them now, along with the small pictures.

It would be super amazingly helpful if this was a YouTube series. Take this article and a nice new iPhone and a buddy who can ski and hold a phone, spend a couple hours getting some footage, and create a 3-to-4-minute short video summarizing each article….

This is 2024; reading is for old people. 😂  

You could even call the channel “@JamesCherrysucks” or something and really kick off some social beefs with the Cherryhive….really milk those outrage views for all it’s worth 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m just going to have accept the fact that are only a few sections of various runs where I can link up a pure carve or two, i.e. perfect slope, perfect grooming, maybe a little bowl shape to help with the carve, etc!  Most of the run I will have to slarve like 99% of the other shredders! Problem is I never have had any interest in slarving back and forth down the mountain. I had zero interest in owning a snowboard until I watched a VHS tape of Cliff Hamada carving in about 2000!

Not than anybody else would care but I really don’t even really consider myself to be a snowboarder but just a carver. I’m a wannabe carver/slarver on most slopes and only a pencil line carver under super ideal conditions! Unfortunately, at 80, I’m running out of bdays to become decent at this niche sport BUT that’s not going to stop me from getting a few more seasons in. 

I doubt he rides at Crystal Mountain, WA. 
Having said that the very few times I have found a fellow carver where I ride I have been much inspired and my carving was much better when I had a good carver to follow down the mountain!

I ain’t giving up yet!

6 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

James loves carving, wants to promote carving, and relishes the challenge of carving in soft boots. He is great company to ride with.

That's sarcasm above. And well done sarcasm at that! 

@1xsculler - This is all about fun. No one is making money at this. (Except @crackaddict! 😝) Ride the conditions/runs you like and have fun! If you focus only on what you can't do you might miss what you can do. 

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

You could even call the channel “@JamesCherrysucks” or something and really kick off some social beefs with the Cherryhive….really milk those outrage views for all it’s worth 

Yeah!  Anything for views!

We could continue the posi-posi vs duck stance wars but that's already getting old.  I'm thinking cant vs lift, asym vs symmetrical, goofy vs regular...  Hard boots vs soft, up-unweighting vs down-unweighting, beard vs balaclava, Coiler vs JJA, mittens vs gloves...  The possibilities are endless!

Thanks for defending me @SunSurfer but it was just razzing, @ShortcutToMoncton is a friend and I deserved that comment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

I thought to follow up and say that I read all of those old articles 20+ years ago (or whenever it was) and loved them….the content is still true but it looks so antiquated to read them now, along with the small pictures.

It would be super amazingly helpful if this was a YouTube series. Take this article and a nice new iPhone and a buddy who can ski and hold a phone, spend a couple hours getting some footage, and create a 3-to-4-minute short video summarizing each article….

This is 2024; reading is for old people. 😂 

James and Alan have given me the kick in the pants to finally redo the articles.  The formatting suffered when Bomber changed hands, and yeah the content needs to be updated.  Give me the summer.  Videos next winter!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

@ShortcutToMoncton Have you met James? I suspect not.

James loves carving, wants to promote carving, and relishes the challenge of carving in soft boots. He is great company to ride with.

Looks like you’re Patient Zero for my amazing plan to get outrage views! Smash that Like button and Subscribe for more anti-softboot content….. 

😜

I’m just kidding around, but count me in as an avid consumer! I love James’ softboot commentary (at least when he sticks to an easily digestible 40 minutes or so, just like a normal Youtuber), and I would honestly be super excited about a little hardboot-specific series from ASB and/or Jack. 

I’ve mentioned this before — I’m surprised that some of the pro riders don’t seem interested in sharing this type of stuff. But I guess it’s such a niche sport that it’s not worth the extra effort when a quick shot of a starting gate and hilltop sunset will probably get triple the likes. 

(not to give James any ideas…)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jack M said:

the content needs to be updated.  Give me the summer.  Videos next winter!

Hell yes!  C'mon in...  the water is fine.

2 hours ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

I’m surprised that some of the pro riders don’t seem interested in sharing this type of stuff.

Most of them don't know this type of stuff, and the coaches and racers that do will try to keep any advantage they think they have.

Edited by crackaddict

9 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

I doubt he rides at Crystal Mountain, WA. 

Get up to Revelstoke this week, I'll give you a free lesson.  Conditions look good for carving on the upper mountain until at least Sunday.  I've been meaning to get my hardboots on all season...  (Actually, all last season too.)

12 hours ago, crackaddict said:

Get up to Revelstoke this week, I'll give you a free lesson.  Conditions look good for carving on the upper mountain until at least Sunday.  I've been meaning to get my hardboots on all season...  (Actually, all last season too.)

"Man... carving in hardboots is so much easer!" - expert softboot carver  @dhamann

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-5vPDXC5/0/CCgMKWmt5pg5TZDR2RDZvhZvNzFr6nhnnZcVCLTRv/1920/i-5vPDXC5-1920.mp4

(very steep!)

• Haha 2