Note to New Members ×

Anybody Given Up On BTS and Gone Back To The Deeluxe OEM Forward Lean Device?

barryj

I've got my BTS forward lean maxed out on my 425's rear boot.  I've tried it at all increments from 1/4 - current 3/4 inch forward lean and I can tell no difference in my heel side turns.....doesn't help or hurt!

I've seen plenty of Good Riders riding with just the 5 stage OEM Forward Lean Mechanism engaged at +3 or more on their rear boot and locked dead vertical on their front boot. 

I'm thinking of trying something else and scraping the BTS. 

Anybody tried BTS on just front boot and OEM Forward Lean  on Rear???

Deeluxe won't warranty your boots if you are using BTS. Made me stop using them immediately. I was getting cracks on the heel lips after a season or so, sometimes less than a season. Could've been the TD3 sidewinders as well (still stiff).

I now use neither and my boots have lasted over 200 or 300 days. They are 425's, like yours.

My next boot will be the Mountain Slopes.

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 1

Yes - I've ditched BTS and have my 425s locked at max upright front foot-max forward back foot for everything except very soft snow (when I use the setting with the knob turned sideways on the back). Feels much more positive than with BTS although in crud or on death-cookies it's more tiring. These days, though, I generally ski rather than ride in those conditions, if I go out at all.

• Like 1

Deeluxe boots with the 5 position forward lean selector in ride mode cannot hinge at the ankle joint.  The forward lean selector locks it out, and then any forward flex comes from deforming the boot.  This is stiffer than using BTS with the red (stiff) springs.  If you prefer this, that's fine, but just understand what is really going on.

• Like 1

Another note on the forward lean selector: in walk mode it is still limited in forward flex and cannot move further forward than the locked 5th position. So it cannot over flex and it is perfectly safe to ride them in walk mode.

If you turn the knob it will not go back further than the 3rd position. So you have 2 'walk mode' options: free flex from 1st to 5th position (knob straight) and free flex from 3rd to 5th position (knob turned).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TimW said:

Another note on the forward lean selector: in walk mode it is still limited in forward flex and cannot move further forward than the locked 5th position.

I was able to pull mine completely apart with hand pressure only. It takes surprisingly little force to slip past those little plastic tabs. 

Maybe the design has changed in the last 10 years since I did this, but I doubt it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack M said:

This is stiffer than using BTS with the red (stiff) springs.

Thanks for the input guys.

I currently have all blue springs on my daily drivers and yellow on my pow boots.  I've tried mixing in red springs but I just never saw/felt much difference and/or performance from any combination or spring adjustment....like I said I'm maxed out on rear boot forward lean and at  1/4 or 3/4 of an inch forward lean doesn't seem any different  performance wise.     

I'll admit I've never liked the added weight, bulk and attention/questions they bring.  Maybe time for a change.........if the oem 5 position lean mechanism is good enough for Sean (on a MK!) maybe It will work for me!

20230414_061736.jpg

20230414_061539.jpg

4 hours ago, Corey said:

I was able to pull mine completely apart with hand pressure only. It takes surprisingly little force to slip past those little plastic tabs. 

Maybe the design has changed in the last 10 years since I did this, but I doubt it. 

Strange, never had an issue with my LeMans boots. I guess I put about 150 days on them (all in walk mode). 

I am not the heaviest rider though at 175lbs.

5 hours ago, barryj said:

I'll admit I've never liked the added weight, bulk and attention/questions they bring.  Maybe time for a change.........if the oem 5 position lean mechanism is good enough for Sean (on a MK!) maybe It will work for me!

Not sure that the added weight can really be a problem for carving.....even probably the opposite....and we're talking about grams here.....

About the bulk, except if you lift your pants up to show them, once you've left the parking lot, your pants normally cover them for the rest of the day......

Been riding my 325's for years with OEM system without any problems......

Riding with  Drupi's DGSS this year and AFAIK, would not switch back for the moment...such an improvement.........Should have done it a lot before...........Never try the BTS though.......

Of course it's about finding what works best for everyone.........lots of factors can be at play......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RoroSnow said:

we're talking about grams here.....

Hey Roro.......not sure where your getting your info considering "you never try the BTS" but BTS weigh a couple of pounds Each!

5 hours ago, RoroSnow said:

your pants normally cover them

You must have some really baggy pant bottoms!   It's too restrictive for me to cover them.  I put my pants cuff between the upper spring and the boot.......so Yes, quite visible.