Note to New Members ×

Broke College Kid looking for beginner setup: Advice appreciated and needed

brokecollegekid

Hello All!

For years I have been dying to get into alpine snowboarding and I'm finally going for it. I was hoping some of you could help point me in the direction or potentially sell me a good beginner setup that won't break the bank! I'm aiming for a length of 154-156, I'm only 130 lbs and 5'2" so I thought that'd be appropriate (my usual riding length for freeride/freestyle boards is 144-147), I wear a mondo size 25.5 for normal alpine skiing, and I was thinking about purchasing an all mountain carving board. Let me know if I'm on the right path or just share what ya know!

Edited by brokecollegekid

Hey there, Broke from Bozeman, welcome to the 'Hood! I am a newer member myself and have found this community amazing in a very short amount of time. You are on to something when you say you are looking for an all mountain board, as you want a "Utility Player". Stay away from anything that has "race" on it as this will be too stiff for your weight and unless conditions are perfect, your day will not be. To keep the wallet heavy, the Vintage Sale section has some amazing deals. A lot of times, people will split up what they are showing, for example if you see a full setup, but only want the bindings, the person, after a little bit, may very well be willing to part with the setup piece meal, vs having the full setup collect dust in their garage. Individually, you should be able to fund an older board with plenty of miles left on it for $300 or so +/-, Boots $200-$300(stay away form anything too stiff there also. Bindings like older Trench Diggers are cheaper and you may be able to get for $200ish. If you are seeing 5 buckles on the boots, chances are they are super stiff and will turn your shins to hamburger by lunchtime. There is a Thirst board in FOR SALE that is a slalom board 162cm that looks to be in excellent shape, but this may be a little higher than you want to spend at $400 but it is an awesome board. I do not see too many carving boards under 160 cm so you may find that to be a limiting factor unless you want a junior setup which you will most likely outgrow.

Stay logged in as often as you can as good stuff does NOT last on this site. Have cash willing to send out via paypal friends and family or Zelle. Shipping is not too expensive unless you are shipping boards over 175cm+.  I shipped a 175cm board last week to Canada and it was $95 using USPS. Ouch.

Any questions, feel free to bounce them off me.

Chris from Colorado

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

See this add for the bindings....F2 TItamiums for $125.

Joeb998

Posted December 5, 2022

Time to thin out the closet as these aren’t getting any younger just sitting there..

Donek 182 GS. 20cm waist. 15m side cut. In overall good shape but does need a base repair do to an early season rock a few years ago. Was originally made for Alan Smith but unsure of flex. Feels stiff to me. …..$100 obo

F2 182 RS. Was drilled and T nutted for a race plate. Is in overall excellent shape. I have never ridden this board. $150 obo

Volkl Renn Tiger 173 gs  has some nicks on the top sheet and could use a base structure and tune  ….$125 obo

F2 race titanium bindings  believe to be a size large as they fit my 29.5 boots

$125 obo

regards, Joe

509-251-6171

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fluxgame said:

I've got this set of TD2s sitting around collecting dust:

I can come down on price to help you out, what's your budget?

That would be great, but I would hate to ask you to drop the price so much since I know theyre in great condition. Because of my small size, everything else I am finding for gear is pretty old and/or cheap, so I'm hesitant to drop a ton of money on newer bindings. As of right now, I really can't afford spending more than $100 on bindings anyway

F2 titanium Small/large is the same HW.  Just mount different hole on the base plate.
So Large can be converted to small. 

double check/verify 🙂 

To save money - you can start with your ski boots (not the best; but i am using alpine touring boot with great result).

with your weight - it's can be difficult to get board suitable for you (most of us are clydesdale class).

You are doing well by sticking to a budget -
i been there "broken college student":  this too shall pass.
Now i am just a broken adult lol...  when we are passionate about something life tend to find a way.

I know it's a bit over budget but at your weight:  you should be able to use this binding
https://www.donek.com/product/f2-carve-rs/

• Thanks 1

Antique/Vintage Alpine Snowboard Trader | Facebook     Marketplace Hardbooters M365 | Facebook    Welcome to Gumbo LTD - (bomberonline.com)    These are other places to follow/pay attention too. My suggestion would be to start with finding the best boot that fits your needs and I would lean toward the softest boot/freecarve boot. They will be the most learning friendly. Like anything the higher the performance something is the less forgiving it will be. The boot may also play a role in what binding will or maybe not work. I know you were looking at the bindings on the Coil 165. Burton's standard was a 3 hole pattern but 4 hole discs for Burton bindings are available/do exist. After finding boots then look for the board and then bindings. Or hopefully a whole package. I will keep an eye out for you.

Edited by dhrracer
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dona said:

Hello,

I am 5’1” and have a whole set up. I am just not sure of the size of my boots. 
email me if interested and I can send you pictures. Stuff is all fairly old but has just been sitting in the basement. 
step in binding. 

Please post them here and do not solicit members over email, thanks.

20 hours ago, pow4ever said:

F2 titanium Small/large is the same HW.  Just mount different hole on the base plate.
So Large can be converted to small. 

Thanks, I was thinking Catek.  But an F2 Titanium large does have a longer plate, right?  That might cause a concern about binding overhang at the edge of the board, depending on angles and board width.

Hi Broke College Kid,

I feel your pain as there is a to getting into this type of riding.  I went through my basement and found a pair of Raichle 224 with a shell size of 25-27.5, but I can't tell what size liners.  I also have a pair of burton race plates.  Thought I had a board but can't find one in your size.  

You are welcome to the boots and board if you want to pay for shipping.  Probably $30?  

I'll keep my ears open for a board that you can start with while you build your career and make a ton of money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pmorita said:

found a pair of Raichle 224 with a shell size of 25-27.5

Look for a small sole length number molded into the outside of the heel of each boot.  Here's the chart giving boot shell size vs sole length (224 boots are SB series):

1214042855_RaichleSoleLengthvsSize.jpg.c113f88c280e0de285e8ae6ce9c4fab9.jpg:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, pmorita said:

Hi Broke College Kid,

I feel your pain as there is a to getting into this type of riding.  I went through my basement and found a pair of Raichle 224 with a shell size of 25-27.5, but I can't tell what size liners.  I also have a pair of burton race plates.  Thought I had a board but can't find one in your size.  

You are welcome to the boots and board if you want to pay for shipping.  Probably $30?  

I'll keep my ears open for a board that you can start with while you build your career and make a ton of money.

I appreciate that so much! I've got a potential setup ready to go, just waiting on shipping confirmations, but if something falls through I'll bug you right away!