Note to New Members ×

middle-aged hack seeks soft boot carver

motoyogi

I've been snowboarding off and on for 20 years, in there somewhere was a many years of surfing, waterskiing, windsurfing and an occasional skiing. I currently ride some used, generic everything board that encourages me to push snow around on any mountain though in my mind I am trying to carve constantly. I'm not into my board leaving the ground, sliding on rails, or flipping outta pipes.

I'd like a more carving oriented board because thats the sensation that I love, but I don't live on the mountain so I need a board with some versatility. A hard boot alpine set-up probably just doesn't make sense. I see Donek has a soft boot carving board, but if you throw in the plate, bindings and new boots we're in at about $2000.00 which seems steep.

my questions

are there soft boot carving boards for those of us not destined for race podiums?

are there special bindings for soft boots that accommodate such kinder gentler carving boards?

am I destined to spend 2000$ ?

Just sticking with Donek, an Incline or Razor is $600-$750. Add some Burton Cartel's for $225 and boots for another $250 and you're at $1225. You can certainly spend less (or more, of course) on new gear, not to mention all the used stuff out there.

There are a lot of good freeride boards out there that would fit the bill, but if you are looking at modern BX boards (long side cuts, variable camber profiles, and carbon/ titanal) then you are looking at race boards with the current top tech- same as the alpine race boards, but to a different end. As such, top end pricing is top end pricing.

I have a relatively ancient Incline that hasn't given up the ghost yet after MANY days of freeride/ freecarving and teaching. At some point I'll get another- they have a pretty stellar cost/ value ratio.

There are a lot of boards people here use with soft boots. Many of those can be found used for $150-$300 in excellent condition. Bindings don't need to be expensive, unless you want Catek Freerides. Used Nidecker Carbon 900 or Burton C60 can be found for reasonable prices, but maybe you have those already. Boots are the hard part. Salamon Malamute or Burton Driver X seem to be favored. I had some 32 boots I liked. I think there are some pretty stiff Deeluxe models. Not sure what else people use. What do you use now?

Welcome to Bomber Online.

Have you met Mike Tovino? I ride at Mt Bachelor occasionally and there are some alpine riders that call it home.

Perhaps post on the ride board for Mt Bachelor, I am sure there are folks that can offer ideas.

If you get up to Portland, look me up. I might have some boards/bindings I can show you that work well for all around carving.

Bryan

PS. Most boards will carve quite well, even crap boards with some sidecut can carve. Photos, videos of you riding can help a great deal.

Nidecker/ Catek / Burton all make stiffer bindings that can help a rider focused on carving.

Edited by www.oldsnowboards.com

motoyogi, not sure where you are in Oregon but I've got a board that I am just about to post on the classified that would make a great soft boot carver. It's an Oxygen White Room and is in great shape.

Message me if you are interested. I'm in Bend.

From his profile.

Basic Information

About motoyogi

Location?:

OREGON

Home Mountain/Resort?:

Mt Bachelor

Occupation?:

artist/professor

• 4 weeks later...