Note to New Members ×

Rear leg quad burn

Chouinard

On a related note, what causes front leg quad burn?  I could stand to adjust forward lean on front boot I expect.  I normally have same lean on both F&R but sounds like that's incorrect and I should have much less on the front, coupled with toe lift on front binding, to further assist in keeping it more upright?  

I assume rear is the reverse ?

16 minutes ago, Chouinard said:

Front boot is basically vertical.

I’m thinking on the back foot. 
If you go more forward lean on the back foot, you’ll just be more force-flexed on both legs, right when you want to ride more relaxed as you’re tiring out. 
When you’re fresh, more aggressive forward lean feels right though, if all the other adjustments are balanced too. 

For some reason the rear foot is carrying more weight than the front. It could be forward lean, it could be toe/heel lift combo, it could be technique, and it could be fore/aft position on the board.

Assuming you have all the forward lean and toe/heel lift sorted you might try shifting your position rearward on the board by 10-15 mm. This will help you stay centered with equal weight on both feet while not feeling like you'll go over the handlebars unless you hold your weight rearward.

I'll bet it would help.

dave

14 hours ago, Chouinard said:

running through lumps

Were you carving through lumpy snow or just negotiating your way through on the way to carve able snow?

Carving setups are optimised for carving. Tired muscles feel the burn sooner after starting a run than fresh muscles.

Some rear leg burn is fairly “normal” for me if I’m riding hard all day, especially If I’m really trying to flex my board. Binding setback is the only thing that seems to help distribute the force.

Less forward lean also works, but inhibits aggressive riding, and can cause some pretty uncomfortable flexion at the turn’s apex if you are “extending” your legs out.

I really don’t mind either. My leg muscles might end up being a bit asymmetrical, though 🤣

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 8:51 AM, Jarcode said:

I really don’t mind either. My leg muscles might end up being a bit asymmetrical, though 🤣

This might alleviate that asymmetry...

https://www.google.com/search?q=scooch+leg&oq=scooch+leg&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30i625j0i390l4.10252j0j4&sourceid=silk&ie=UTF-8

• LOL 2

• 1 year later...

So the issue lingered until the end of the season BUT I read a thread where a skier posted a similar question to a ski forum. The response stated that if you sit back on the tails of the skis you are supporting your dead weight by using your quads as the primary muscle hence the strain. To correct the issue you need to constantly pressure the tongue of your boot to maintain a forward neutral position. For years it felt like I was finishing my turns on the tail of the board. I tried it and it instantly improved my ride. Unfortunately it was the last day of the season so I hope it carries over till later this year.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

IMO...

Front leg burn = I've been putting most of my weight on my front leg in order to get my center-of-mass where it needs to be. Moving the bindings forward puts my weight where it needs to be with a 50/50 split between my legs.

Rear leg burn = move the bindings backward.

Equal burn = good stance, bad stamina 🙂 Or my boots are leaned too far forward - I've made that mistake.

On mass produced boards, I try to center my stance as best I can with a measuring tape, and adjust from there based on leg burn. On custom boards I just get the inserts placed for easy/obvious centering, but a couple years ago I moved my front foot forward a notch (whatever the spacing is on TD3 discs) and that puzzles me, but my legs are happy.