Note to New Members ×

Looking for soft boot carving instruction in the Northeast

Sheedapistawl

Hello friends,

I posted this in the ride board section (Southwest Northeast) for local folks but  not sure how active that is so figured I’d ask here as well - if against rules please let me know and I’ll delete.

I live in NJ and am looking for some soft boot carving instruction. Caught the K carving / Japanese carving bug, I’ve tried resort instructors at Stowe and Okemo but did not find them helpful for the style of carving I’m looking to learn (dual positive binding angles, getting low on turns you know the cliché…). 

I can post a video and while commentary is helpful I think nothing is as helpful as someone who is adept at the skill and also good at teaching it to folks like me with bad habits like hunching my shoulders on toe sides and hinging at the hips. I am certain my gear is not the issue.

I’m an intermediate rider, I broadly know what I’m doing wrong but not sure what exercises or things to do and how to progression to get better. Sometimes feel like I have it but then a video shows poor form and just bad habits. 

Live in Nj, have a car, and am on Epic but flexible. Would have loved to do Montucky but sadly unable to and at the moment flying somewhere maybe uncertain so figured I’d ask for local help first. Any advice on finding instructors where I am much much appreciated! 

Edited by Sheedapistawl
  • Like 1

Got nothing for in terms of instructors who could help in person but I've been spamming this playlist everywhere possible. it's the single most helpful thing I've had for learning this style of riding. the first 5 videos are key. my personal experience has been coming from duck stance carving, i took these exercises to the bunny hill and have improved significantly over the past 10-15 days with it.

enable subtitles, there is a proper english transcription on the videos

I know, friends don't let friends snowboard at the mall, but every time I've been to BigSnow there are a handful of the softboot carvers you describe. Super nice too and I'm sure they'd be happy to offer help. The compact space and consistent conditions are also good for some deliberate practice. Also, Dan Richards who goes by @icecoastcarver on IG is also pretty solid rider frequents there... 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jack M said:

book a private with Kirby.  Call ahead, he is not full time anymore so an appointment would be needed.

+10 on Kirby!  There are also some excellent snowboard instructor that carve on softboots. 
Call the Sugarloaf mountain rental shop to speak with Kirby.  Amazing fluid/dynamic rider and instructor(some good rider can not teach; it's rare to have both).  Super nice guy.  He saw my gear on the shuttle and gave me quite a few pointers.  I believed Kirby is instructor when Erik was still FT at Sugarloaf so the "method" lives on Ship of Theseus.

Wow that K-carving series is fantastic!!

I need to practice this pelvic positioning thing seems to be the most crucial part

what are folks trying this running on their boards? I have a US 10.5 boot on a 27cm waist carving deck and I’m doing +33 +21 but maybe I should try +39/+24 since that dude is running +42… sadly the high backs on my Flow NX2 don’t rotate… I was also riding with a lot of forward lean I’ll try removing it but it’s gonna be sketchy for heelsides… I was riding 4/5 lean front and 2/5 lean back 

That PDF looks great too! Will try this Korean dudes progression - the exercises are helpful but that’s the first time I’ve seen someone break the motions of k carving down into a linear progression 

anyone have any experiences to share on what made their k carving journey go well / faster I’d appreciate it (generally have no issues regular American carving, can throw a toe side euro on demand etc but this style looks way cooler and I think controls speed wayyy better with tighter turns which is why I’m after it)

On 1/9/2023 at 12:28 PM, Kneel said:

I know, friends don't let friends snowboard at the mall, but every time I've been to BigSnow there are a handful of the softboot carvers you describe. Super nice too and I'm sure they'd be happy to offer help. The compact space and consistent conditions are also good for some deliberate practice. Also, Dan Richards who goes by @icecoastcarver on IG is also pretty solid rider frequents there... 

I second this. Dan Richards @icecoastcarver and Marisa Mckellar @marisamckellar are in your area and both great knowledgeable carvers. 

On 1/14/2023 at 6:00 PM, Sheedapistawl said:

Wow that K-carving series is fantastic!!

I need to practice this pelvic positioning thing seems to be the most crucial part

what are folks trying this running on their boards? I have a US 10.5 boot on a 27cm waist carving deck and I’m doing +33 +21 but maybe I should try +39/+24 since that dude is running +42… sadly the high backs on my Flow NX2 don’t rotate… I was also riding with a lot of forward lean I’ll try removing it but it’s gonna be sketchy for heelsides… I was riding 4/5 lean front and 2/5 lean back 

im running 42/33 with no highback rotation, it's not really that crucial. I definitely think you should try a stance as he suggests. im running 42/33 right now and i find it a lot nicer to carve in compared to what you're running. i also find specifically for this k-carving style its a lot more comfortable with these steep angles. also removing forward lean on the front foot helped a lot. currently using 1/4 on the front and 3/4 on the back.

• 3 weeks later...

@fumbimo very timely and thank you! Yep I have 0 lean front, a few points on back and will now adjust from +42/+27 that I was riding to +42/+33 to try yours

While I figure out a potential riding day with Martin at Park City,

wanted to post two clips of carving (..or failing to..) from Park City, I’m on a Soul 165XT, +42/+27 and have been following the K-carving guys videos a lot 

many things are wrong here but I typically find it way easier to get deep turns on toe side (still need some work to keep torso away from snow and getting back knee lower into snow), but I am REALLY struggling with getting that upper torso and pelvic rotation “into and leading the heelside turn” which also I think gets one low enough to touch snow on heelsides. My left Butt cheek is hurting today from 3 consecutive days of edge giving out most times I tried to really get lower than shown here. 

the Korean guys tip of sitting in the tail with back knee bent and extending the front leg definitely helped with heelside turn initiation but every time I tried to go lower and get my butt and left hand close to the snow I just fall into the carve unable to recover to an edge change to toe side…

two videos front and back view:

https://imgur.com/a/JMNqAWH

example of heelside washout:

https://imgur.com/a/RjgDs9s

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheedapistawl said:

@fumbimo very timely and thank you! Yep I have 0 lean front, a few points on back and will now adjust from +42/+27 that I was riding to +42/+33 to try yours

While I figure out a potential riding day with Martin at Park City,

wanted to post two clips of carving (..or failing to..) from Park City, I’m on a Soul 165XT, +42/+27 and have been following the K-carving guys videos a lot 

many things are wrong here but I typically find it way easier to get deep turns on toe side (still need some work to keep torso away from snow and getting back knee lower into snow), but I am REALLY struggling with getting that upper torso and pelvic rotation “into and leading the heelside turn” which also I think gets one low enough to touch snow on heelsides. My left Butt cheek is hurting today from 3 consecutive days of edge giving out most times I tried to really get lower than shown here. 

the Korean guys tip of sitting in the tail with back knee bent and extending the front leg definitely helped with heelside turn initiation but every time I tried to go lower and get my butt and left hand close to the snow I just fall into the carve unable to recover to an edge change to toe side…

two videos front and back view:

https://imgur.com/a/JMNqAWH

example of heelside washout:

https://imgur.com/a/RjgDs9s

I feel like i struggled with this exact thing earlier this season, what worked for me was just focusing on what he talked about in the 2nd/3rd video. the basic carving. i went back to the bunny hill and tried to link turns without any sort of unweighting in my turns, no angulation. trying to maintain that posture as static as possible. It did wonders for me. i did it with my hands on my hips so i could confirm i was maintaining the rotation. also i just focused on keeping my pelvis rotated and didn't pay as much attention to my torso at that point.

Im noticing you're starting the turns with some forward hip rotation but you unwind your hips and finish the turn as if you're riding duck almost. it's very foreign feeling at first but to maintain the hip rotation throughout the turn it kinda feels like you're constantly trying to rotate more and more throughout the turn.

Another thing that might help is where you're pointing your head. it looks like on your heelside you stay looking relatively down the fall line. i try to force my head to face and look where i want to be going, more across the hill. it helps everything align the right way.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 9:44 PM, Sheedapistawl said:

Hello friends,

I posted this in the ride board section (Southwest Northeast) for local folks but  not sure how active that is so figured I’d ask here as well - if against rules please let me know and I’ll delete.

I live in NJ and am looking for some soft boot carving instruction. Caught the K carving / Japanese carving bug, I’ve tried resort instructors at Stowe and Okemo but did not find them helpful for the style of carving I’m looking to learn (dual positive binding angles, getting low on turns you know the cliché…). 

I can post a video and while commentary is helpful I think nothing is as helpful as someone who is adept at the skill and also good at teaching it to folks like me with bad habits like hunching my shoulders on toe sides and hinging at the hips. I am certain my gear is not the issue.

I’m an intermediate rider, I broadly know what I’m doing wrong but not sure what exercises or things to do and how to progression to get better. Sometimes feel like I have it but then a video shows poor form and just bad habits. 

Live in Nj, have a car, and am on Epic but flexible. Would have loved to do Montucky but sadly unable to and at the moment flying somewhere maybe uncertain so figured I’d ask for local help first. Any advice on finding instructors where I am much much appreciated! 

I’m in the same boat. I live in Westchester county, NY and I just got back from a ski trip to Japan. While there, on a whim, I rented a carving board and it changed me. While in Japan I picked up a Moss Twister 159cm w/ Flux bindings since I knew it was gonna be hard to get a Japanese carving board in the states. I’m having a blast with it, but I’d love to get formal instruction here on the east coast.