Note to New Members ×

Binding Angle changing while riding

Pew

Hi I’m using f2 race titan binding 53/48 but my rear binding angle is changing while I’m riding sometimes. After few runs when I check my binding bc I feel something is wrong my rear binding angle has been changed to 45 or lower even though I mounted it hard

Is there a problem with the binding or angle or my riding?

not to thread jack...

on F2/SG type of binding.  My standard bail keep on getting looser over time to the point where the boot is flopping around in it (morning it's nice and tight and few runs later).  I use thread locker and didn't seems to help.  Any ideas?
Had to go back to TD3 and the bail position been solid for 10+ days.

Just throwing this out there, but maybe your feet are trying to tell you something about your technique?  I agree, it shouldn't move, but there's something dynamically fishy going on too.  As my feet are carving here in the office under my desk trying to replicate getting the rear foot to go negative, you must really be pushing off the ball of your rear foot to get it to rotate back to the tail.  Especially starting at 48 which gives you a lot of extra leverage compared to say 60 where the ball of your foot may be pushing towards the toe-side edge.  There's gotta be an explanation in the Beckman Bible for this.  I'm at +63 on the  back foot and it feels like it's just along for the ride at times outside of some gentle heel/toe action...

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 9:36 AM, pow4ever said:

not to thread jack...

on F2/SG type of binding.  My standard bail keep on getting looser over time to the point where the boot is flopping around in it (morning it's nice and tight and few runs later).  I use thread locker and didn't seems to help.  Any ideas?

This happened the first couple of times for me. Then it stopped loosening unless it was very cold.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 10:36 AM, pow4ever said:

not to thread jack...

Where did you use threadlock? On the nut affixed to the end of the adjusting screw for the slider?

• Thanks 1

I ordered the new binding screws from Donek snwoboard and changed it

And I realized that I was twisting my my rear foot towards to 45 degree on my toe turns I guess my foot wants to be on 45 degreeso I changed my binding angle to 50/45

Problem solved 

Thank you everyone

Happy new year

Pew

13 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Where did you use threadlock? On the nut affixed to the end of the adjusting screw for the slider?

FWIW all these are brand new binding.  I did recalled i had to tighten the nut for the slider but never put it to test since i just stick with TD3 for now. 
Part of the process of eliminating one variable at a time. 
Once i got the technique down i will go back to try different binding.
I did cut my teeth on TD2/3 so back to basic.

2 hours ago, pow4ever said:

FWIW all these are brand new binding.  I did recalled i had to tighten the nut for the slider but never put it to test since i just stick with TD3 for now. 

I've seen the nut on the opposite end of the adjusting screw (on the underside of the inner end of the slider/block) come loose and then the binding will work itself loose over time.

• Thanks 1

On 12/28/2022 at 11:37 AM, Kneel said:

Just throwing this out there, but maybe your feet are trying to tell you something about your technique?  I agree, it shouldn't move, but there's something dynamically fishy going on too.  As my feet are carving here in the office under my desk trying to replicate getting the rear foot to go negative, you must really be pushing off the ball of your rear foot to get it to rotate back to the tail.  Especially starting at 48 which gives you a lot of extra leverage compared to say 60 where the ball of your foot may be pushing towards the toe-side edge.  There's gotta be an explanation in the Beckman Bible for this.  I'm at +63 on the  back foot and it feels like it's just along for the ride at times outside of some gentle heel/toe action...

Most of the racing boards limit their binding angles around 58~45 do you feel more comfortable with those angles? I’ve never had a higher angle than 55

14 hours ago, pow4ever said:

I would ride the F2/SG's. It took me forever to move away from Bombers, but I'm glad I did; I should've done it sooner.

17 hours ago, Odd Job said:

I would ride the F2/SG's. It took me forever to move away from Bombers, but I'm glad I did; I should've done it sooner.

Interesting.  May i ask for your reasoning?
I know plenty of great riders on either binder; it's interesting to hear different opinion.

I start out with stiffer binding - Catek, TD2
In the beginning I gave it too much bad input; so the SW(sidewinder) and F2 was great to filter out my poor input/technique at the expense of responsiveness.
akin to trade off between harder/softer suspension.
During the heyday of my carving prowess - binding/boots/setup make for little difference.  i can over power the setup to do what i intended.  Now with a busted knee, shoulder and one too many trip around the sun.... Mostly just preference.  I find myself liking TD3 again in recent day.
SG is much better at tweaking setup; except the sled keep moving.  otherwise it's like the perfect binding for me.  (responsiveness, adjustability)  

2 hours ago, pow4ever said:

Interesting.  May i ask for your reasoning?
I know plenty of great riders on either binder; it's interesting to hear different opinion.

I start out with stiffer binding - Catek, TD2
In the beginning I gave it too much bad input; so the SW(sidewinder) and F2 was great to filter out my poor input/technique at the expense of responsiveness.
akin to trade off between harder/softer suspension.
During the heyday of my carving prowess - binding/boots/setup make for little difference.  i can over power the setup to do what i intended.  Now with a busted knee, shoulder and one too many trip around the sun.... Mostly just preference.  I find myself liking TD3 again in recent day.
SG is much better at tweaking setup; except the sled keep moving.  otherwise it's like the perfect binding for me.  (responsiveness, adjustability)  

Weight. I typically get over 150 days a year. You will notice the weight as you ride many days. At the moment of switching over from TD3 SW to SG; here is what I noticed.

1. 185 Oxess GS with TD3 SW is about the same weight as 185 Oxess GS + Apex plate + SG bindings. I did not measure, just by feel.

2. My first day on SG bindings was actually on a 164 Oxess SL; I was sitting down on the slope and lifted my feet to flip around toeside; I raised my legs all the way straight up, I simply was not used to how much less weight I was carrying around.

3. Less riding soreness. It could be the weight + increased flex, no idea.

I really don't notice the flex giving me less options. I can still wiggle and swap heel/toe fast enough to make it look like the board is vibrating... so the response is there. 

Copying a group known for pursuing high performance (racers) is never a path that will lead you astray; just might be costly. So there's that, except I have broken F2's way too easily and gave SG a shot; SG's are lasting well over 100 days. F2's broken in about 6 runs + 3 weeks (different pairs). I bent Phiokkas in about 3 weeks of riding.

Also, over the past several years; almost every year I develop a hairline crack in the heel area where the Td3 heel bail is on my Deeluxe boots; I assume the stiffness of the bindings and my riding time just aren't friendly to boot plastics. This hasn't happened since my switch to SG.

Also pertaining to body pain. I've started going to the gym 5-6x a week in addition to my riding time. It has made my soreness so much better; I really only bike + do ab workouts. Maybe some yoga. Definitely lots of hot tubbing.

Edited by Odd Job
  • Thanks 1