Note to New Members ×

UPZ RCR Boots? Anybody Got These??

barryj

Compare the angle of pull of the ankle level buckle for the Mountain Slope vs. the UPZ RCR 2023.

My view is that the heel hold down in the rear boot is likely to be better with the MS boot due to this difference.

The original Northwave .951 shell didn't suit my wide forefoot. (I've not had the chance to try an MS shell of the appropriate size). I've modified my rear UPZ RC 10 2016 shell to change the angle of the ankle buckle to more like the MS/Northwave with improved rear heel hold down the result. The UPZ shell does suit my foot with a wide forefoot and narrow heel. The UPZ shell also takes Intec/FinTec heels which is a requirement for me given my aging and inflexible hamstrings and lower back.

Given the limited array of boot choices you have, any boot upgrade will be a compromise between factors that are modifiable and choice factors that are non-negotiable for the individual rider.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 7:13 PM, barryj said:

Seems to be modeled after the MS .951

https://upzboots.com/product/2023-rcr-yellow-free-flex/

Same shoe mold, same cuff mold, hey instead of sticking a Carbon fiber sticker on the cuff they are putting in some composite.  4 buckles instead of 5... progress for UPZ... how long has buckle clash been a problem??
:smashfrea

Tongue is held on by a single nut rather than on the sides. That's been there for a short while.

I don't see a boot trying to compete with the Mountain Slope.  I don't see a group trying to innovate.

But certainly, of the two three choices for step-ins UPZ is doing more than DeeLuxe.  I forgot Japan's G-Style boots offer step-in heels.

Edited by lonbordin
  • Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 7:13 PM, barryj said:

Seems to be modeled after the MS .951

Nah.  As lonbordin says, it's the same UPZ molds, just 4 buckles and redesigned tongue.  The cuff and tongue are stiffer than the RC.  If MS didn't exist, this is what I'd get.

On 12/25/2022 at 7:38 PM, SunSurfer said:

My view is that the heel hold down in the rear boot is likely to be better with the MS boot due to this difference.

I was very happy with the heel hold in my RC10s.  I don't notice a difference in that department with my .951WCs.  Both have much better heel hold than T700 for me and others.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Jack M said:

heel hold

I don't have any heel hold issues with the 425's. but if I changed from Deeluxe to UPZ (probably RCR model). what should I expect  in getting them to fit me and my TD3 SW SI's ??

Obviously add  Fintec heels but I hear:

1- UPZ are more difficult to get in and out of

2- The boot length is  much shorter so would have to adjust toe/heel bails

3- The heel ramp is different and will probably need to adjust TD3 cant disks

4- Sizing is difficult and doesn't match up to Deeluxe sizes?  Just because I ride a Deeluxe mondo 28  doesn't mean the UPZ 28 is the right fit

What else is in the change from Deeluxe to UPZ??

14 hours ago, barryj said:

1- UPZ are more difficult to get in and out of

That is an obsolete complaint from when the tongues did not hinge at the toe.

15 hours ago, barryj said:

2- The boot length is  much shorter so would have to adjust toe/heel bails

Yes.  Well, the boot heel is shoved forward under your actual heel, so you have to move your heel bail in.

3- The heel ramp is different and will probably need to adjust TD3 cant disks

I went from 3/3 to 6 front 3 rear when changing from Deeluxe to UPZ.  I left it that way when going to MS which have a heel design that is closer to UPZ than Deeluxe.

4- Sizing is difficult and doesn't match up to Deeluxe sizes?  Just because I ride a Deeluxe mondo 28  doesn't mean the UPZ 28 is the right fit

I went from a 28.5 Deeluxe to 28.5 UPZ and it was good.  However UPZ is lower volume so I should have gone to a thinner liner.

What else is in the change from Deeluxe to UPZ??

Bottom spring is the forward spring.  This is the opposite of BTS.

• Like 2

I preOrdered these and I have about ten days on them (luv’em). With just a small center screw securing tongue (no hinge action, just flex) it’s a hassle getting foot in, so I immediately swapped for the side-hinge tongues (stiff silver)…the extra strip of buckle teeth just ghost ride w 4-buckle design. The gray forward spring is actually same as stiff orange (if anyone’s wondering); I asked Dan to be sure.

I switched to UPZ from Deeluxe 5 yrs ago (RC10’s) for all the personal reasons discussed “here” ie: narrow feet, skinny ankles, better heel hold. I also go down a shell size and use intuition race plug liners. The thinner liners make the FinTec Heel Cable cause pressure/pain over ankle, so I stripped the lower 4” of cable housing.

On 12/27/2022 at 2:26 PM, Jack M said:

I went from a 28.5 Deeluxe to 28.5 UPZ and it was good.  However UPZ is lower volume so I should have gone to a thinner liner.

The sizes are comparable, that's one less headache!   I'm running a 28  Intuition Power Wraps in my 425's.  Can I expect I will be able to just transfer them to the UPZ's ?? 

18 minutes ago, kibber said:

I switched to UPZ from Deeluxe 5 yrs ago (RC10’s) for all the personal reasons discussed “here” ie: narrow feet, skinny ankles, better heel hold.

Hey K,

Thanks for the info.  I don't have Any of the above issues, which makes me question going to this much trouble switching everything around for the UPZ's.   My sole issue of upgrading was the ankle/instep buckle blowing open on toe-side carves..... and the 425's are 6? years old.

Maybe ill logic here but  my only other rationale for swapping boots is  thinking/hoping  I would see/feel another boost in performance from upgrading to the UPZ's like I did going from T700 to the 425's!!

Decisions,  Decisions!!

6 hours ago, barryj said:

The sizes are comparable, that's one less headache!   I'm running a 28  Intuition Power Wraps in my 425's.  Can I expect I will be able to just transfer them to the UPZ's ?? 

Maybe not. I was using Power Wraps in my T700s, and I just transferred and molded them to my new UPZs. Too tight. I should have gone to Intuition Plugs. 

1 hour ago, Jack M said:

Intuition Plugs. 

Damn!  Thats probably true in my situation also.   There's another $200!

Geez!  I  don't dislike my current boots or the fit to want to deal with all the time, trouble and not to mention money this entails!

I'll ride my 425's through this season and deal with the buckle if it keeps happening......and keep an eye out for a deal of the century to make UPZ's worth the trouble!

Thanks for the info guys!      

Barry, might need to consider step-in binding interface.  I’m a size 27 and found I had to move the toe and heel blocks inward to accept UPZ RC10 & RC12 on my TD-3 step-ins compared to Deeluxe.  Became a PITA if I wanted to adjust angles as I had to loosen toe and heel blocks to get access to the center mounting bolt heads.  Added a few sets of F2 bindings to resolve the access issue.

7 hours ago, Pat Donnelly said:

had to move the toe and heel blocks inward to accept UPZ

Yeah........ it seems that's just one of the numerous steps required to make the move from Deeluxe to UPZ!

I might just wait for MS to offer a step-in heel option!  :smashfrea     Sounds like that's what all the cool kids are using and I'd skip UPZ and already be on MS if they offered a step-in heel! 

I'm surprised some DIY hadn't already tried milling a MS set out for Fintec's!

Pretty darn sure there isn't room in the MS design to accommodate Intec heels.  They had said they were working on a new step-in system that would work with their existing boots without modification, but that was a few years ago and I think they've lost interest.

• Like 2