Note to New Members ×

OT: Pulling G's Another Way

Chris

The snow's been gone for a while but we've got a great new toy up here in London. ON. CA. As far as I know, we just opened the third of three indoor Velodromes in N.A. It's modest in size, I'll be the first to say, but what a blast. Pulling G's rain or shine.

It's crazy riding a track bike. They are direct drive--if the bike is moving so are the pedals. You slow down by reversing pressure on the pedals. These bikes are so simple--one gear, no suspension, and NO brakes.

138m around the track, with a 52 degree bank on the corners...17 degrees on the straightaways. When you go into those corners at 30 mph the track comes up to meet you like the Great Wall of China. Carving on plywood! It gets really interesting when you have five or six other people on the track with you. You've really got to check before changing your line or you're asking for some throbbing road rash. My son and I already have some skin loss. He was getting tired the other night and lost in the #1 turn. I was only two bike lengths behind him and all I could think of was "Don't run over your own son!" As a result I went down too. At least they were rental bikes.

They've got great racing on Saturday nights by some excellent riders along with spectacular crashes once in a while. My riding is limited to "recreational" at the moment, by I'm aiming for some sport class riding by the end of the summer.

Track record for one lap is 8.9 seconds.

www.forestcityvelodrome.ca

There is a short movie of a race on the site along with some interesting pictures of the track's construction.

Chris

Gord,

Things are in flux right now, what with getting it all organized and figuring out what it really costs to keep it going....but...at the moment if you haven't ridden track before, the Tuesday night LTR is free and then after that, track time and a bike is $20. A yearly membership will be $350 and I think they have an out of town membership...check the website. Pretty cheap really. You can buy yourself a half decent brand new KHS track bike for about $600 CAN. All Seasons Sports in London is really getting into carrying a good range of bikes this type of bike.

New track record tonight...8.5 seconds.

No other gears........ welll I know the rule books say only one gear allowed and no brakes. There are not any hills ( other then going up the banking ) the races are short enough that you nearly go flat out so you put the ratio that gets you in the sweet spot. I ran between 88-92 inches at T-town when i used to go.

It is just the pure form of the sport. Most races don't really start but just sort of roll off and build, rare does anyone attack at the line.

I'm not sure I really have a good answer it really is a hell of a time. You get out here with 10 other guys for a scratch race and jsut crank it up, sweeping around the banking at speed is really something that must be done to understand.

Some bike messengers like to use track bikes. I think it is because they like to look "hardcore". In some cities it works ok, like New York who is relatively flat, but here in Montréal with all the hills, I think it can be quite a challenge, but from what I saw, they manage. But a funny thing I read about this is that they don't get their bikes stolen because not everyone can ride them and if a thief tries to steal it, he falls after a few meters!

Originally posted by Derf

Some bike messengers like to use track bikes. I think it is because they like to look "hardcore". In some cities it works ok, like New York who is relatively flat, but here in Montréal with all the hills, I think it can be quite a challenge, but from what I saw, they manage. But a funny thing I read about this is that they don't get their bikes stolen because not everyone can ride them and if a thief tries to steal it, he falls after a few meters!

Hardcore isn't a reason for a messenger to use a Fixxie...fixxie's are used because it's easier and faster to get from point A to Point B on a fixxed gear than anything else hills, going up, are easier and going down just requires the use of a front brake (or strong legs). Maintaining a cadence is simple since you can't coast. Simplicity and weight are also factors when a person makes their money getting packages from one place to another...then there is the theft issue you mentioned, one doesn't just hop on a fixxie and ride away...

Personally I plan on building a fixxed gear when I return from Japan to commute to work with, it's only been almost 2 decades since I've ridden one

Originally posted by Bob Jenney

All you other cyclists, there is no better workout. You get contraction and extension of the muscles.

This is the part I don't get. If you are riding correctly you should get contraction and extension on a normal bike. I don't see how a fixed gear bike changes the pedal stroke and muscles used. On both kinds of bikes the cranks are still connected to each other and once up to speed you can still push down only on the down stroke if you want. Why does the gear being fixed change anything?

Bob, what size is your spare so I can try it and see what your yapping about?

Oh, and messengers used fixed gears cause they want to look "cool". I see them everyday and they are all about the "look" they have going on.

I think the muscle extension Bob is talking about may be what your muscles get from controlling the speed of the bike on steep downhills where you do so for safety or to keep your cadence under 150rpm :eek:

This is what I found after my first night. The muscles on the inside of my thighs were trashed from resisting the pedal revolutions to slow myself enough to get off the track with a little style.

Guest johann

Basically the fixed gear is something to add to ones quiver if one is a bike geek. Along the lines of someone who is a mountain biker who decies to run a hard tail singlespeed.

Fixed gears are also great to play with on the rollers.

btw be careful out on the road with one when bunny hopping. There is definatly a skill that requires some practice. Even when running brakes on a fixed gear bunny hopping is still pretty odd to do without having a slapstick crash.

I live in The LA area and ride a fixed gear (appx 89" or 53x16) track frame w/front brake. The hills (Palos Verdes) are were I mostly ride. Grades over 6-8% become a challange (especially if it's windy) but one advantage is the weight of wheel rotation that helps conserve energy (optimum situation). I ride with catagorized cyclists on their training rides. The one area I suffer greatly is the longer faster types of descents. You start going anerobic while others are recovering (coasting on 53x12). I love the purity and simplicity of the fixed gear. I used to race track so it is easier to adapt to road use for me. To me the fixed gear is like a car's manual tranny compared to an automatic. The thrill is in the art of driving not the comfort. Gavin

trailertrash, it's all about 'circles'. A fixie will force you to become a more effecient and stronger rider. I guess it's like a Jeep or a Harley, you've got to try it to understand it. After a few times out you will know what it's all about. Try one a few times, if you get a chance.

By the same token hitting the concrete (T-town / Velodrome) at 47 MPH, can mess you up for a few months!

Some people love the high banks (it is a blast when you stay on both wheels) and some find it very intimidating and scary, definately something else to try sometime.

Trexlertown, Pa / Velodrome, offers a GREAT program sponsord by Air Products (free) in an attempt to gain the intrest of young cyclists for the future of the sport.

jp1

I've been riding a track bike for several years and alot of my friends are messengers in denver. They all use track bikes. I think they like track bikes because they are bomb proof. Also, it is much easier to do a track stand while on a fixed gear, which is nice when you have to wait at a stop light...

I love fixed gears!

Great night tonight........no crashes..... jp1, I can't imagine body surfing on a concrete track clad in lycra! Plywood is bad enough.

So you guys who've spent some time riding tracks and on fixies-- steel or aluminum? My local shop bought all the Cannondale Major Taylor frames they had left. Good price with Miche hubs and Open Pro rims, cranks I'm not sure of yet. Or a steel Soma. Cheaper than the Major T's by a fair bit, definitely not as stiff, but somewhat repairable if it came to that. Any first hand advice would be really appreciated. I hate buying when I don't know exactly what I'm doing, but the rental bikes suck so I'd rather not wait too long to buy.

Chris

Years ago when I was riding alot I took the cert class to be able to ride on the track here in Redmond (Merymoore Velodrome). During warm ups one of the students was sprinting through the line and decided to coast at the line(he said he was used to his freewheel bike on the track -bad idea) and promptly learned a lesson in centrifugal force. He was fortunate to not be too messed up. It's a blast to be in a group of fixies on the track. You have to pay attention or you can mess up alot of other people in a hurry. I was given an almost new Myata (with all Japanese components) trackster that I am planning to turn into a trainer. Just need to lose the sewups and find some clinchers for it.

Guest atamme

I've been riding a fixie for about 5 years now. I started in Boulder while I was doing the university thing at CU. I love riding around on it, but i have a front brake because really there isn't a downside to being able to stop quickly and easily when you have to. There aren't alot of hills in town there but when i do get to one I try to really put on the speed beforehand to have that momentum built up in the wheel resulting in an easier climb.

As for steel vs. AL, i go steel anyday for any type of ride, it just feels right. AL feels like cheap going to crack and tear apart superficial stiffness that a rec rider like me never needs. Anyway, i wish i had a better fork on my taiwan terror, but fixies are supposed to be inexpensive tanks.

Bada Bing I'm a Fixie King.

So what kind of gearing would a newbie to fixed gearing want to use?

Man this board is bad. It just makes me want more and more toys. The snowboards are bad enough, now I gotta have a track bike. And the thread on balance boards makes me think I "need" one of those now too....

P.S., OT, who's following the Giro?

• 2 months later...

ok, i picked up a bianchi pista this past weekend and tried it out. you definatly need to attack every hill of any size.

The fixed gear promotes pulling on the up stroke by forcing your leg up and over the top.

i dont buy this statement. the bike is not forcing your leg up and over, it is helping it. if your moving, your leg has no choice.

During a descent, and one of the reasons I don't have breaks on mine, you get the pull on the down stroke and a push on the up stroke in addition to the normal push/pull. Trying to slow the bike down takes some significant effort. Hence, the benefit.

this is what im sore from. yowza the muscles above my knees are sore. glad i only did 22 miles. i didnt want to screw myself up for my half iron this weekend.

the fixed gear is definatly fun to ride but im still skeptical about its training qualities over a normal bike. time will tell.

john