Note to New Members ×

Quad strength?

1xsculler

Want to train quads + cardio + general snowboard/board-sports....?

Find a nearby pump track!
Seriously..... nothing I've ever done has been more targeted board sport training.

I don't know about where you live, but here in NSW, Australia, these things have seriously taken off and are rapidly propagating throughout the countryside. 
Now multiple withing 30 min of my house in a regional city, plus another in the purely rural town that my families rural property is situated near.

I'm assuming that that means there may be a similar explosion of popularity elsewhere on the planet?  

Edited by FriendlyDropBear
Spelling

19 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

While there may be a lull now, the world is not back to pre-Covid norms. There will likely be a new normal. Facemasks/coverings were very common on snow riders of all ages at Cardrona this NZ winter. 

Things are a little different in NZ than they are in the rest of the world - although I hear it's likely all your restrictions will be lifted in the next couple of weeks as well. For the most part, the rest of the world has already moved on. Here in Alberta you're not even required to isolate if you have covid now ... you can go to work and they "suggest" you wear a mask. I'm just looking forward to being able to put my boots on, and drink my coffee, in a warm lodge and not my car.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 6:12 PM, 1xsculler said:

There is no “safe amount” of alcohol…it’s ALL poison…

Everything is “poisonous” (whatever that means….assuming cancerous). A piece of bacon is poisonous. A can of Coke is poisonous. A chocolate bar is poisonous. A steak is poisonous. A hot coffee is poisonous. Ice cream is poisonous. Life itself is poisonous. That is why we die. 

In the meantime if the fittest human beings on the planet whose livelihoods depend on their ability to perform at the highest level don’t mind having a few drinks, then I don’t think it’ll be holding any of us back in a meaningful way. 🤣 All in moderation! Cheers.

• Like 3

Sun is cancerous. Dentist found moles on the roof of my mouth (or freckles). Says it is common in Colorado; especially with the number of days I am outside. Nothing to worry about. I'm not going to reduce my days on snow due to ^. I am going to ride more with a face mask, or not.

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

When was the last time you had to do that?  We made three trips to Alberta last season and were able to use the lodges each time.

At my local hill in Ontario you could use the lodge for food etc but no lounging or bags, so you still had to get dressed in car. Makes no health sense but I suspect was more about reduced staffing and lowering cleaning costs during lean times. Hopefully we’re back to normal this year or else I’ll have to dig into my Mountain Slope budget for a heated boot bag….🙄

On 9/9/2022 at 11:22 PM, Odd Job said:

Sun is cancerous. Dentist found moles on the roof of my mouth (or freckles).

If the sun is hitting the roof of your mouth, you might be smiling too hard. Try a more boring sport, for your health. 

Kids, don't start carving! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 months later...

I can now attest that mountain biking is the best summer training I’ve ever done. No gym just ride. Also got a single speed to really beat my legs into submission. Usually I get 2-3 runs on the first day of the season but today I did 7 uninterrupted and felt like I could do more. Most excellent. 

• Like 4

This just came out last week.  These guys make sense  on how to apply the 4 stages of training aspects for "snowsports"  aka: they say skiers......but seems totally transferable to Carvers!

Starting at 4:40 they speak to carving and demonstrate 4 exercises specific to build strength and flexibility for  carving.

They follow that up with 4 exercises for pow!  Looks like good stuff!   

Now to find a gym that talks their lingo!

Edited by barryj

Lots of good stuff in this thread.  For those wanting to get a good leg workout at home or in the gym, kettle bells are your friend. Exercises using them not only develop strength and endurance, they really help you work your balance too. I've learned a number of these in my local cross-training class (not Cross-Fit, but similar).  One of the keys is to get your heart rate up for the workout, and keep it up.  I found a series of videos that cover some of the exercises to strengthen your quads.  After a few unexpected early season powder runs in my hard-boot groomer gear this weekend, I discovered I need to double down on these to make the most of the upcoming season.  5 Best Kettlebell Leg Exercises To Build Your Quads

On 8/26/2022 at 8:56 AM, 1xsculler said:

an exercise to increase quad strength for carving?

Hey Scully,   here's an example workout video from the Stomp Camp coaches I mentioned above for skiers which directly applies to carving.

They also offer an 8 week skier training program manual and videos  that they created for $50 that looks very through.  I'm going to implement the exercises they demonstrate in my 3x  weekly routine. 

They say this program is biased toward developing core, hip and quad/calf strength and unilateral balance and symmetry. It implements elements of explosive strength training to develop more reactive force production and absorption for when you need to access power through a carve!