Note to New Members ×

What do you hate most about the other people on the mountain

Guest jeffnstefanie

Guest jeffnstefanie

There is plenty the complain about the other people on the hill, but the thing that really gets me the most is when one person stops at a little flat spot just before a steep and then another stops and another until there is a line of people just standing there for no other reason other than the other guy is standing there. And hopefully they leave one little hole that you can try to sneak through and they look at you funny because you are trying to go .

What do you hate about the other people ?

Dont even get me started on people running over the top of my board !!!

I suppose you mean besides the fact that they are simply THERE! I mean...that alone is sufficiently annoying.

1. Congregating at the bottom of the lift! Argh!

2. Not warning me as they approach from the rear. The other day(my second time out) some skier dude ripped past me in a full tuck right at the apex of my turn, missing me by millimeters. Not so much as a hi or goodbye! The nerve of these people! Several seasons ago the same scenerio resulted in a multipoint clavicle break...read end of season. Oh yeah...did I say it was my first day out! Double argh!

3. Dead silence on the chair lift. I dig the ones that give there life history. :) Especially good looking chicks.

4. Arrogant little self posessed, piss ant soft boot snowboarders who think they own the mountain. What's up wid dat....how could they not know that WE the true Kings of the Mountain own it! The little Bastards!

The other poster is right...they(skiers) don't go down as easy but they're sure a lot more fun...especially when you have that split second time to prepare a good solid forearm shiver. It's sooo satifying! :)

Have a safe season and in the immortal words of my dear old Mother..."For God's sake be careful."

Ride midweek and most of your troubles go away. The Donek guy and myself rode in the rain yesterday. Surfaces were fast and firm, awesome and noone was on the hill except for a very few stragglers..literally about six others during the time that we were there. It was great, other than getting a little wet.

Packs of young teens, parked on their asses blocking the run, watching each other as they all hit the same lame-ass little jump.

Oh, and while I'm at it, the same weenies, side-slipping their way down the hill so they can tell their friends they rode the "black diamond".

Anyone with coloured zinc on their nose and a wineskin. Double ire for the same bozos traversing their way down the lift-line bump run. Triple if they're wearing a stupid hat with fake hair or something.

1) I really get frustrated with the little switchback turns some of the less advanced skiiers (which make up a big majority on the hill) make right in the middle of a the run. Because the runs are slightly steeper, they do this to control speed - which is ok. But we're talking total tunnel vision here - no looking up or down the hill and forces you to take an extra wide line well in advanced. Then they stop (right in the middle of the run of course) for their break. I find myself constantly yelling out "on your right!" or "on your left!" I've become pretty good at this over the years.

2) Don't even get me started on the morons who run over my topsheet with their skis near the lift.

There are plenty of other issues previously mentioned that I also agree with. Bottom line, the mountain is for everyone to enjoy and it seems like more and more are getting out there to do just that. We just need to be more heads up and, here we go, TOLERANT. There, I said it. And believe me, it wasn't easy!

Be safe folks! I, like many of you, ride pretty hard and aggressive. But I've learned to be EXTREMELY defensive in my riding (especially w/ the longer boards). I don't consider any of this profound info. but before I start my run I check merging trails and anyone in front of me - I start planning my lines for when I overtake 'em on the hill. When I stop for a break - I go off to the side and make sure I check up (and down) the hill before I take off again. I guess I'm saying all this because of hearing about near misses (we've all had 'em) and even collisions! I don't want to hear about fellow carvers getting taken out for the season (or longer!) because of a collision. Nothin' but love for the hardbood brotherhood....OK, gotta go, getting misty here.

Originally posted by Kirk

1) I really get frustrated with the little switchback turns some of the less advanced skiiers (which make up a big majority on the hill) make right in the middle of a the run.

Nobody turns quicker than a snowplowing, traversing beginner. You think you've got the line just right, then bam! they flip on you again. Of course this is not their fault so I don't find them annoying, just a problem you have to deal with. Unless they're doing their routine on the Ladies' Downhill at Louise, when all I've got planned is some big maching turns. I scream at them, "back to the bunny run you bozos". On the inside. On the outside, I scrub a bunch of speed and go wide so I don't startle the little dears.

Niel, is dat da vone dat as you come to da lodge is on the Right, I believe so. Man never did my sphfinkter pucker so much! It was January couple years ago no snow just Ice, like when they spray it down in racing! Its like the last drop off then you go under the lift line. If you stand before you go down half your board over hangs, that steep one? yea thats it! That Bitch! she packs a whallop! Doh! ouch, duh doh! all ya saw was base.. topsheet...base....top...sheet..base...topsheet!

Oh ja, Ranting, hmmmm hit in da back hard tree times last year.

Everyone on da hill but me is annoying!

You can stay on der right side, uder you can stay on de left side,....but da middle is all mine!

SG:p

Worse than the straightliner with poles tucked under the armpits is the occasional skiier following too close at speed. I've had several scary experiences when Joey wants to show everyone that he can go fast too. Then he has to try to pass cuz he can't believe that a snowboard can go that fast. WHOA!!!!!~~~~~//////////:eek: :mad: " WTF are you DOING?!!" :confused:

Originally posted by Shred Gruumer

If you stand before you go down half your board over hangs, that steep one?

I don't think so... nothing on the Ladies DH is that steep. To get to it, you just bear left as you pass Whitehorn lodge. I think the steepest consistently groomed pitch at Louise is the men's DH, to get to the top of that one you need to take the old Olympic double.

BTW we may see each other in January - currently planning to ride Jan 30-Feb 1 inclusive. I think the 30th is the last day you guys are riding, correct? Anyways, this is a big group (I hope) of people I know through martial arts so it may be awkward to hook up but lets try to coordinate something.

when you make what you think is a killer run under the chair, pull up at the bottom and then realize everyone has been watching the person riding behind you who is making you look like you started riding two days before. I could give names here but you folks know who you are!!!! :D

To add to many of those mentioned (smoking, running at someone or running over someone's equipment etc.)

1. Snowboarders sitting or skiiers standing just behind "blind nose" on a trail.

2. Skiiers and snowboarders shoving people in line to lift.

3. Skiiers and snowboarders lowering bar on a chair lift without asking others if ready and then hitting someones head.

4. Mommies taking little kids on more difficult trails and then complaining that they got scared by someone.

5. "Slow" signs on high pitch slopes (Lake Placid for example) on fast trails.

6. Green crowded trails intersecting with black diamond trails (Mountain Creek is a good example of that).

7. Rude ski patrollers who don't know (or don't want to say say) that uphill skiier/boarder has to yield to one downhill (nobody has eyes in the back of head) and then reprimanding someone while they behaved stupidly not keeping safe distance.

8. Funky boys continously shoving or hitting people, because of "freestyle" behavior and then constantly saying: "Sorry, dude." They should think a bit more or they may be really sorry after they cross limits of ones tolerance.

9. Smoking Ganja anywhere near others who don't smoke that thing. Yes, perhaps farting in front of such person could bring some distance.

-I hate it when the ski patrollers try to solicit me for sex. I mean, enough already. I'm not a piece of meat. You all know what I'm talkin' about.

-I hate it when my chain wallet wraps around my phillies blunt and my pants fall down while I'm in the middle of my fifteenth rotation off the pipe wall and I can't unravel everything before I land so that I hafta like do two things at once ...yo.

-I hate it when those damn lifties shut the lifts off in April. I'm still here man. And clear those damn hornets nests from the towers in the summer so that I can at least sit in the charis in peace while you're not open.

-I hate the barteneders for letting me drink too much in the lodge. I can't be responsible for my own actions. And there should also be a breathalizer station at each lift. I mean c'mon, letting me on the mountain with a .34 BAC, what are you thinkin'?

-How the hell did I get crabs from the rental shop? Hello....bleach.

-I hate it when the ENTIRE Swedish National Womens Soccer Team aproaches me to give them snowboarding lessons in the same day. Ladies, there's only so much to go around.

-I hate it when my riding friends put live scorpions in my boots. Those pranksters get me all the time. And enough with the liquid acid in my Camelback and battery acid in my coffee.

-I hate myself most when I'm on the mountain. Nothing brings me down more than a sunny day after a huge dump on a tuesday morning with powder in the woods and groomed on the trails and a few friends to rip with. I have to say that's the worst of all. But then along comes that nice guy with the crack cocaine and everything is aaallllrrrriiiight.

--people(usually punk ass boarders--that dont give a s*** about either going over the back of your board and banging the hell outta your edges(banging them on the chair as well)---wonder if these mouthy kids can fly---lol----if i throw them outta the chair!!!!!!--

I agree with everone above pretty much. THe thing that stick out in my mind though is being called a "Wanna be ski racer" by some jibber on a lift earlier this year after asking what it was I was riding. He is also quoted as saying "Snowboards are ment for tricks, Ski's are for going fast". God I hate it here in the mid-west where I can count the total # of hardbooters I have seen in the past 5 years on 2 hands.

food lines that charge $10 for a burger and fries

people running into me

people knowcink the snow off ther board onto me when im waiting for someone under the lift

lift poles- they are always in the way and come outa nowhere

people that ski down in clumps and block your line

guys wearing their orange hunting jackest bitching about people buzzing them- what the hell do you think is going to happen when your dayglow jacket is visible from space

groomers that are too busy to put down their joint and concentrate on the snow in front of them

the millions of questions about my setup

people that smell bad on the lift

people that speak foreign languages on the lift