Note to New Members ×

Tell me about your Mountain Bikes

slabber

13 minutes ago, ShortcutToMoncton said:

Hahaha what is it about alpine boarders and motorcycles? Is this a need for speed thing?

I’m more of an earn your turns guy—it’s mountain biking all the way. Get in summer work on those legs and you still experience all the danger of flying headfirst down a mountain into the trees! 

Yah, pedal bikes here too...  a year ago today google tells me:

20210411_081518.jpeg

• Like 2

Ragley Big Al 97.5er (mullet hardtail), 2.6" tyres with Tannus tube tyre armour running 12psi front and 18 psi rear, boost hubs, 4 pot Shimano brakes on 180mm discs, 1x11 with clip-in pedals, 120mm dropper, 35mm stem with 780mm handlebars.

Jailbrake is a favourite trail about 4km from my garage door. Hardtails work your quads uphill and down.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 3

Kenevo on 27.5 x 3.0s. (pictured with the stock 2.8s)

Mods are fatter tires, slightly narrower handlebar, slightly longer stem, ergon cork grips, stiffer spring on the rear shock.  I ran DIY pool noodle inserts for a while and liked em but haven't felt the need lately. 

Very fun bike.

PXL_20210131_183902529.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eastsiiiide said:

Kenevo on 27.5 x 3.0s. (pictured with the stock 2.8s)

Mods are fatter tires, slightly narrower handlebar, slightly longer stem, ergon cork grips, stiffer spring on the rear shock.  I ran DIY pool noodle inserts for a while and liked em but haven't felt the need lately. 

Very fun bike.

PXL_20210131_183902529.jpg

Does the front end tend to lift off uphill (saddle seems a long way back)? Or what is that on your seat?

Edited by SunSurfer

Yeah maybe it’s the angle on that pic but the reach seems almost impossibly short! 

Yeti SB5 for me. Also now a conservative reach and seat angle by today’s standards, but it’s a ripper on my trails and I haven’t yet found the need to upgrade beyond some little tweaks like Oneup dropper and flat pedals (I typically use clipless for the last half of the season), a Specialized saddle, an elliptical ring and some new wheels last year from a local wheel builder. Still rocking the 11sp Shimano drivetrain but just can’t justify a complete drivetrain replacement for 12sp upgrade.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Does the front end tend to lift off uphill (saddle seems a long way back)? Or what is that on your seat?

Oh ignore that, it's a janky saddle pad that was falling apart and slipped backward.  Cheap garbage strikes again.   

edit:

PS It looks like a monkey bike because it's a small.  I'm on the cusp of small/med so I put a longer stem on (not pictured) to give a skosh more room.  If it were my only bike I'd probably want a medium frame as a better all-rounder.  But I have a lot of fun on the small with 27.5s and a buncha travel.  

Edited by Eastsiiiide
Yetis are super drool-worthy. 
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, small frames always look odd in pictures because the proportions are off. That explains it!

Looks like interesting bike country! I’d love to make it down to the great central US biking states. Spent a bit of time biking in Texas five or six years ago but it wasn’t anything special other than I was doing it on vacation. The pandemic really impacted my travel bike plans the past couple years. 🙂 

• 1 month later...

I have 2 bikes i tend to alternate between.

Nukeproof mega 275(650b), this my general do everything bike its very stable and is very much the enduro bike that rides like a DH bikes on descents but is light enough to pedal back up if your not to bothered about how fast you climb. It was bought as complete but at this point everything short of the frame shock and forks has been replaced with my preferred parts.2FZFHVn.jpeg

The other is my Commencal Meta 4x where the Mega is stable reliable and forgiving this is the complete opposite. I'll often liken it to a 1980s supercar with far to much power with terrible tyres in the rain, its an exciting ride but you really need to always be on your A game as it will get you into alot of trouble very quickly. Being a 26inch 4x bike it excels on being efficent when sprinting and hitting jumps and with its short travel(130/100mm) it makes an excellant hooligans trail bike for an experienced rider. It is the right kind of stupid so ill often take it for a spin if im riding with less experienced friends so i can alot of fun no matter the trail grade.

OxGMAFc.jpeg

• Like 1

Oooh bikes!  Love bikes!  I'm never sure which season I'm most looking forward to since I am fortunate enough to live close to some good snowboarding and gravity oriented mtb terrain.

Winter bike.  A cheap fatbike, but it gets me to work and back.  The past couple of winters there have been folks dragging car-tires while snow-shoeing in the woods behind my house which has made great conditions for a bit of light MTB action in between snowboarding sessions.

IMG-1339.jpg.500c2e1a60295a0e8525d3ddcf2491ff.jpg

But my real love for biking is summer-time super-trail/enduro biking.  My 2020 Specialized Enduro was an absolute dream bike I built up from a second-hand frameset.  Pedals uphill better than a 170mm has any right to and was a scream downhill.  Everything about it was fan-effing-tastic, except for the material: carbon.  This was my 3rd full-squish bike and my second carbon bike.  Carbon seat-stay vs aluminum derailleur hanger:  the derailleur hanger is going to win everytime.  It has been a nightmare to get replacement parts.

unnamed.jpg.320af4a04f3afc1bfe0f6785b1f66bae.jpg

Which brings me to my new bike: a RAAW Madonna.  Specialized hasn't been able to get me parts to fix the Enduro so I odered a Madonna frame from RAAW since it would take all of the kit from the Enduro and I've got a friend that really spoke highly of his Madonna.  I'm only three rides deep into this bike but I am loving everything about it.  I can really identify with the brand's goals: the mechanics of the bike are really well thought out from reliability and maintenance standpoints, the workmanship is top notch and the performance is uncompromizing, plus it aluminum.   While the Enduro was a sled that would do straight lines super fast regardless of the effort you put into it, the Madonna is more of a rider's bike.  In a straight line it is slower than the Enduro, but throw in a few unbermed turns and the Madonna walks away with the Enduro's lunch. It is a super engaging ride and requires/encourages an active riding style.   Uphill it is just as competant as the Enduro.  It won't break any records, but you will get to the top of the mountain comfortably.

IMG-2323.jpg.21ded3877277daa57458dcbf584915db.jpg

• Like 2

I really like the Raaw bikes it and the Privateer were at the top of the list before i got the nukeproof mega but the mega was a deal i just couldnt turn down.

One of the things i do like about them are that they are raw ally which ive always liked as a finish and is pretty much what ill do to my current bikes once the paint is tatty. Here's my old Meta 4x in the raw

W2pmuyT.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got out for a Summer solstice ride last night probably one of my favorite solo rides this year.
RFLxd10.jpeg

Heres a couple of vids to give you an idea of what the riding is like around my local area, I imagine its fairly different terrain to what most of you ride

Lots of grass is defintely interesting in the wet 😄

Edited by scottishsurfer
  • Like 1

Daily driver: NS Bikes, Soda Evo Air, from 2017 or 2018. 180mm travel, single-crown fork, 175mm dropper, Hope brakes... fun everywhere. 27.5"

Downhill: Canfield, Jedi from 2011, 26" wheels (27.5 became a thing right after I bough it). I got all excited when my local mountain (Stevens Pass, WA) announced that they were going to do biking in the summer. They built 4 or 5 trails and stopped expanding. One of them is really fun, but after one day riding that trail all day long... meh. So I don't actually do much downhill. But, this much travel on nicely groomed trails feels a lot like riding powder, and it's just generally a fun change of pace, so I haven't given it up.

Also: Morpheus Skyla slopestyle bike. I bought this where there was an indoor dirt-jump bike park not too far away. It closed. But a short-travel bike is a nice crutch for trails where I still struggle to clear the jumps on my other bikes, and it's generally a fun change of pace, so I haven't given this up either.

I rode bikes a lot as a kid, and rediscovered them around 2009 or so when a new bike park opened up near me (Duthie Hill, WA) with a huge range of jump sizes to choose from. I started small and worked my way up year after year. It's not as fun as snowboarding but it's very very close.

Last weekend there were a couple of people at the park taking pictures (the main man of Sound Photography and an intern), so I went out and did my best to look stylish... which is really not my forte, but I'm starting to get the hang of it. 

Duthie_2022_06_25_1_med.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Finally did an upgrade to a We Are One Arrival 152. It is a bit bigger than my current bike or what my terrain really needs but I ride pretty hard and should use the travel. 29er wheels feel strange and my jury’s still out on the fancy electronic shifting, but so far it’s a scary fast and capable ride. And kind of cool to have a made-in-Canada carbon bike!

• Like 1

That's a dream bike right there @ShortcutToMoncton

Have any pics?

Pandemic was my return to mtb as in DH.

Stopped so many years...

I ride mostly Bromont, Saint Sauveur MSS, Sutton etc.

Lots of place to ride in Quebec. 

Changed also to many times my bikes. Always used ones.

It's a great sport and DH gets my adrenaline pumping way up.

I'm mostly on the Mullet Glory now and my Commencal e-bike. Hardtail week days around house.

Might as well talking bike with no snow. 🙂

p5pb24654451.jpg

63E694C7-84C6-49BA-8B57-24C79E4875F0_1024x1024.jpeg.jpg

p5pb25619813.jpg

p5pb25619836.jpg

• Like 1