Note to New Members ×

Contra Contra

st_lupo

21 hours ago, Odd Job said:

Isn't the demand for distributed systems skills pretty much everywhere to the point you can almost command the salary, location, and maybe work schedule you want?

only the good one lol.... /cry

if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull.  That's the lawn guy land way 🙂 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2023 at 6:51 PM, Surf Quebec said:

I received an Asmocarve+ extra rubber last year, as you said David, when you tilt it on edge early in the turn the edge hold is incredible.

But I do not remember the difference between the contra and the asmo😞

maybe @johnasmocould clarify for us? 

Also, I forget what Bruce told me is the basic configuration of the variable sidecut on standard Contras?  Is it tight at nose or tight at tail?  I understood it was basically three different radii (though it adjusts every inch) but I don't recall the relative orientations of those curves?  

Was actually chatting with Bruce about this earlier today as I was trying to understand what I was feeling from some Apex Gecko Carves I’ve been playing around with. 

Compared to the overall radius it’s longer at the nose, tightest on front foot, slightly less tight on rear foot, and longest at the tail. 

My 173 AC is “officially” an 11.5m sidecut, although the precise radius does change every inch along the edge. But at a high level mine is around 13.5 nose, 10.5m at the front foot, 11 at the rear foot, and the longest 14.5 off the back. 

• Like 3

That’s funny Pokkis I moved mine back of center as far as I could.

Seems also to be working. Felt I was putting to much pressure on the nose and the board felt like it wanted more towards the taiI will try forward again also. No problem to do more testing:)

On 3/3/2023 at 8:18 AM, pokkis said:

Funny thing that i feel get most of Contra by setting bindings 2cm front of insert middle portion, just like normal Coilers i have had. Might be due my riding style, but also Paula prefers same for her Contra. Odd.

FWIW

I have done that (1-2cm forward) on the longer "modern race" boards since my first Kessler 180 12 years ago and have done it on subsequent modern race boards, ie, Donek Revs 180 & 175, Coiler Rev 180. It was my work around for boards that require you to dive forward into turns. I'm lazy and like riding centered.

I did not feel the need on 3 different Contras, even the 180, or any of my Thirsts. Ride 'em all centered.

BTW, Geckos work great on my 166 "ice" Contra. I mount them symmetrical and use the softer bumpers all around, except for hard bumpers under the middle fingers*. I like the way it rides with a little flex modification.

For my Thirsts, I found that simply removing the bumpers from the end fingers (1st and 5th toes?) keeps it from interfering with the board's flex while still getting the benefit of dampening vibration and bumps. 

*this is with td3sw on a  bp base.The BP base being a 5" diameter circle under the center of the binding has a smaller footprint than F2's which allows the Geckos to flex more freely giving a smoother ride.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1