Note to New Members ×

Riding with a better carver

Eboot

I have been lucky enough to ride once a week with @GeoffV, despite poor early season conditions.

The biggest value to me is the ability to talk about my thoughts in relation to areas I am working on, to have an informed sounding board, not only of more experience, but with the insight to be able to observe and comment in context.  This is such a difference from riding, experimenting and thinking in the lonely dark.

Some breakthrough insights as a result of recent conversations, including many around fear boundaries, of which I am dealing with more than I was aware.

• Too much speed: obvious until one is trying to angulate harder to carve back up the hill.  Insight: by not committing early enough to controlling speed, by the time I am going "too fast" it is too late to leverage the hill for speed control, or i have neither the skill / strength / goolies to carve hard enough at that point to reduce speed without braking.  This became obvious following not far behind Geoff and forcing myself to maintain separation, requiring an early commitment to speed control
  • Resistance to falling over: this was not obvious to me but there is an internal control mechanism that prevents me leaning too far over (falling onto the snow) that is inhibiting my desire to increase the angle of my board and talks to my frustration at not being able to get closer to the snow.  Watching several videos, including Nevin's recent submissions, there seems to be a point where allowing the upper body to fall towards the snow and not remain vertical is ok
  • Propensity to stand up with increase in speed: as the pitch increases and I accelerate, my natural tendency is to stand up rather than angulate more (this exacerbates bullet 1)
  • Locking my heels: I have played with locking vs leaving open for a long time (I learned to carve with my heels unlocked) but at Geoff's prompting locking both heels has helped with last season's backside issues that i faced again at the start of this season

Many thanx to Geoff for his patience and willingness to engage.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, slapos said:

how do you mean locked heels?

Hi Lukaz
I am referring to the ride / walk lever on the back of the boot: locked = set to ride 🙂

I guess there should be no guessing why I was having difficulty engaging my backside carve while walking.

Watching the better racers ride outside of a course is always nice to watch. There is typically little to no redirection (stivot, slide/set, blahhh), and they are usually building and releasing pressure much earlier than most recreational people.

Edited by Odd Job
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 9:19 AM, Eboot said:

I have been lucky enough to ride once a week with @GeoffV, despite poor early season conditions.

Many thanx to Geoff for his patience and willingness to engage.

Wait, the GeoffMeister is giving lessons? 

Did he teach you his patented rear arm flail? It's quite distinctive. He's been perfecting it since the '80's. He will explain the reason he does it but it makes more sense in Austrian. He once used it to break the nose of a fellow well known carver around here... @Shred Gruumer may actually have a picture of that, too. It's a similar vintage to the yellow jacket era (error?).

I too was fortunate to ride with better riders early on and even today. Luckily I didn't pick up @GeoffV's flail but he did pass on other tips. 

• LOL 1

We’ll @trailertrash thanks for pointing out my “wave”. This is a great example of riding with great riders who pointed out my bad habit and helped me get rid of it. My wave tends to show it’s ugly face once and a while when I am exhausted. But you know who pops into my head when I do it? My good friend @trailertrash resulting in a quick correction to avoid a good thrashing😉

• Like 1