Note to New Members ×

Foot pain

AgassizSkidder

I’ve been struggling with an issue for years that I have not been able to resolve with foot pain. I have tried different boots, liners and footbed’s and dialled in my bindings to a point where I feel that everything is perfect except for that small amount of pain on my rear foot at the lateral planter fascia. Punching out the boots helped as did changing the liner. I don’t want to punch the boots more in case they get sloppy as I do sometimes feel some heel lift. 

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and resolved it? Is this a case of needing to continue to adjust canting and angles? Or should I punch that spot again? I can walk in them comfortably before riding. After a run the pain takes over.

Bomber sidewinders 
Front 52 degrees, toe lift 3, cant 2 inwards

Rear 45 degrees, heel lift 6, cant 5 outward

21.5” stance 

board width is 22cm

Edited by AgassizSkidder

I'm assuming you have adjusted your boot cuffs for any tendency to bow legs or knock knees. At the stance width and binding angles you write that you use, your rear foot canting angle will strongly tilt your rear foot and lower leg laterally i.e. putting your weight on the lateral edge of that foot when you are riding. That might explain why the boots are comfortable when walking but not riding.

A roughly neutral setup might have 1-2 degrees inward cant on both bindings.

Edited by SunSurfer

4 hours ago, AgassizSkidder said:

I can walk in them comfortably before riding. After a run the pain takes over.

Been there!!!!   It took 2 sessions a week for almost a month at my chiropractor and alot of foam rollers daily at home.....starting with a tennis ball then softball.....through most of a riding season...but it finally worked itself out.

I do a couple of follow up visits per riding season to keep mobility up.

Now I use a slant board that not only stretches your ankle...it puts alot of pressure on the planter fascia. 

Hang in there Buddy!

• Like 1

@SunSurferThank you. That video is a great resource. I have adjusted the rear cant 2 degrees inward and it does hurt less on carpet. Will see how it is on snow on Friday. Once we get past Christmas I’ll get my wife to help me determine if the boot cuff needs adjustment. 

@barryjthank you for the suggestion. I’ll make a slant board and focus on stretching this season. 

I had a paint in my front foot for years (softboot setup); had to loose boa, lace and binding on uphill lift...

went to a boot fitter with new boots explaining issue since in hardboots it became unbearable 

ended up with stock preformed insoles - it resolved my problem

PS

eventually I decided to do custom insoles which work very good

PPS

your case might not have the same easy solution

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barryj said:

Thanks Barry. I have some plywood and a piano hinge not doing anything so I’ll put it to use 😊

@rstI purchased custom insoles years ago and they did help a lot. They solved the arch pain completely.
I think at this point it’s mostly user error. I’ve bought far too much equipment to keep blaming it lol

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 11:15 AM, Jack M said:

You need the full day spa treatment with The Doctor, @Beckmann AG at Sugarloaf, Maine.  Custom footbed maker, boot fitter, binding/stance/attitude adjuster, carving instructor.

I think you’re right! My sister is in New Brunswick. Might need to visit her and take a drive south sometime. 

• Like 1

To me your binding setup is weird. The outward cant on your rear binding seems extreme, and could cause this issue. By canting outward your cuff will create pressure on the inside of your leg, and the reaction force will be pressure on the outside of your foot.

If that is the issue bootfitting will not fix your problem. So I suggest trying the neutral setup first and see if that helps. 

Another thing: no intec cable there?

Edited by TimW
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TimW said:

To me your binding setup is weird. The outward cant on your rear binding seems extreme

I used to use outward cant on the rear foot (TD cant disc at 45 degrees, binding angle at about 56).  I liked it.  When I switched to MS boots I felt the need to remove it, although I haven't tried messing with boot cuff cant.  I think I'm all set.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TimW said:

Another thing: no intec cable there?

No intec cable. 

7 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Looks like maybe a nine hour drive to Sugarloaf from your location? 

Get in touch if you'd like a free consult. Might be fixable via phone.

https://beckman.fit/contact/

Thank you. I appreciate the offer. I’ll reach out if I don’t notice a difference this weekend. 

13 hours ago, Jack M said:

I used to use outward cant on the rear foot (TD cant disc at 45 degrees, binding angle at about 56).  I liked it.  When I switched to MS boots I felt the need to remove it, although I haven't tried messing with boot cuff cant.  I think I'm all set.

I had the all mountain soft UPZs and it would be comfortable most of the time. I really noticed it when I switched to the RC12

16 hours ago, Jack M said:

I ride with both cuffs outward (~ 1 degree I guess), which is neutral for my legs standing normally. The thing that is odd to me is the 2 degrees inward front, 5 degrees outward back. 5 degrees is a lot, e.g. your 45 / 56 combo will give you about 1 degree outward cant.