Note to New Members ×

How to keep CARVING on steeper terrain

west carven

The pivot reminds me alot of something i do in soft boots where i un weight my back foot and pivot on the front foot during the edge change to remove part of the top half of the carve where some of the acceleration will be happening. I initially learnt it as a way to shorten a turn so i could make a gate riding slalom i otherwise would miss from going to fast

I do it in this video riding the red in bansko if you drop the speed to 0.25% youll see pick the rear up pivot the re-engage

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, NateW said:

The best slopes are the ones where you can hold on to the carve until you're heading uphill between turns. 

The yang to your yin: the best slopes are the ones that are quick to offer a beatdown for bad technique/loss of focus/tired legs. (says me, staring at a bruise I must have gotten when getting ejected into the netting today)

if everything is right, there is not much need to go across the slope or even uphill. Turn tighter at the apex and keep moving more downhill than not. Maybe this possibly goes out the window if it is really steep, but worthwhile trying. When the pressure starts grinding against the edges, it's time to get off the edge and into the next turn.

Really hard to do and something I've been working on. It's just way easier to make a bigger turn for any given sidecut and go across the hill more.