Note to New Members ×

Assetto Corsa Competizione

daveo

On 10/31/2021 at 9:23 PM, scottishsurfer said:

think im safety rating 42 with it going up pretty much every time i race 🙂

How is the healing going mate? Hope you're on the mend.

Just finished upgrading my rig and putting the other components up for sale. Now a gentle braking zone (think Zandvoort T3) I can actually do gentle braking! Before and after. That's only after 4 laps.

@Corey @scottishsurfer you guys used MoTeC before? In game or in real irl life? 😄

unknown.png

4 hours ago, daveo said:

How is the healing going mate? Hope you're on the mend.

Just finished upgrading my rig and putting the other components up for sale. Now a gentle braking zone (think Zandvoort T3) I can actually do gentle braking! Before and after. That's only after 4 laps.

@Corey @scottishsurfer you guys used MoTeC before? In game or in real irl life? 😄

unknown.png

Getting there Daveo my lungs up and fully sealed but i'm stuck in hospital for a little bit more until an infection i've got is clear so ill either get out at the weekend or monday/tuesday.

last time I used telementry i think was in grand prix 4 and way way back in day grand prix 2 on my old 486 lol. I had to search to see if gp2 had telementry or if i was confusing it with indycar which i played a lot at the same time but i found the manual which confirmed my memories. If you want a trip down memory lane or to see just how good old manuals used to here's a link.

https://www.retrogames.cz/manualy/DOS/Grand_Prix_2_-_Manual_-_PC.pdf

I've spent way too much time looking at data traces.

The best thing I ever did was share my car with a fast driver - we could compare how every input we made affected our speed. 

I still don't have my rig made yet. 😞 Napkin sketches are converging, but no wood cut yet. LOL! 

On 11/6/2021 at 5:15 AM, Corey said:

I've spent way too much time looking at data traces.

The best thing I ever did was share my car with a fast driver - we could compare how every input we made affected our speed. 

I still don't have my rig made yet. 😞 Napkin sketches are converging, but no wood cut yet. LOL! 

Talking of comparing telemetry with a fast driver. I was practising on Zandvoort for a week in the Porsche Cup, thinking I'm getting decent. So I asked a mate of mine if he could do a couple of laps and send me his MoTeC and replay and perhaps use my setup. Thought I was good after about 150 laps doing a 1:38.5. He did 6 laps (including 2 out laps) and it was his first time using the Cup car at Zandvoort aaaand ....... 1:37.3. Okay so he actually holds the current lap record for a few tracks on ACC but geez it was crazy to see the difference not just in line but in telemetry. Plus he altered my setup which I was so proud of. He's a bit of a legend.

xK63P36.png

Hello there cadence braking... I didn't even know there was a crest there...! :confused:

xhZO8KY.png

It's a bit awkward when you're on the brakes earlier and for longer and then on the throttle later just to boot.... :freak3:

5HHCwlC.png

4 hours ago, daveo said:

Thought I was good after about 150 laps doing a 1:38.5. He did 6 laps (including 2 out laps) and it was his first time using the Cup car at Zandvoort aaaand ....... 1:37.3.

If its any consulation it took me 10 laps to get to a 1.40.8 finding another 2s to match your pace is going to take quite a bit.
Out of curiosity what porsche GT3 is it 2020 or 2019? I took the 2020 for a spin its super docile compared to the macca but my god are the shift lights bloody terrible in how there partially hidden by the angle of the camera 😕

10 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

If its any consulation it took me 10 laps to get to a 1.40.8 finding another 2s to match your pace is going to take quite a bit.
Out of curiosity what porsche GT3 is it 2020 or 2019? I took the 2020 for a spin its super docile compared to the macca but my god are the shift lights bloody terrible in how there partially hidden by the angle of the camera 😕

10 laps for a 1:40.8 is really fast! I think my practice temps were set at 27/35. The Cup car scares me because of no TC. Makes me exit a bit gingerly.

Hm IIRC the shift lights on both GT3 Porsches should be well visible unless you have a very forward camera position on view settings. Can you share a screenshot?

In saying that, I've only used the 991 II recently, I don't use the 991 anymore since it is kind of outclassed by the 991 II. I've used the 991 II reasonably extensively and the shift lights have always been visible. I think my camera position is forward something like 11.0. It should be easy to bring the shift lights into view if you want.

I think the optimal shift point for acceleration in the 991 II might be 9000-9250 depending on how high up in the gears you (higher gears wanting to shift at the lower point). This should be a few flashes into the blue lights.

Which camera are you using? I'm using cockpit view with no wheel/hands. I tried helmet cam for pitch awareness but it just makes me want to vomit. 

Edited by daveo

1 hour ago, scottishsurfer said:

Ignore me im an idiot i didnt realise the porsche cup car was different from the gt3😅. On the brightside the shift lights are much easier to see if you jump into the 2020 gt3r youll instantly see what i was moaning about. Now to see what kind of time i can set with the correct car lol.

Oh yeah! The cup car is kinda hidden for some reason. Honestly I wouldn't spend any time using the old 991, the 991II is easier to drive as well as being faster. Just checked and my best time in the GT3 991II was 1:35.325 and that's after 123 laps. I've done 139 in the Cup. I only found out a couple of days ago you can actually check that stuff!! main menu -> driver -> stats.

Below is one of my better cup car laps.

If you want MoTeC you can get it for free here with installation instructions, then you can have a jolly old laugh at my crappy laps.

This is one of my better laps below but still messed up a few really obvious things (turned in too early for the down and up right hander, too slow mid corner through sector 2, a random gear 1 by mistake through the chicken...). Can set to 1440p I think.

Edited by daveo

Thanks for the video it confirms my thoughts I was in to low a gear through a few of the corners 👍. Did a quick few laps before I left the house and I managed to get down to 1.41.3 so not to far from my previous laps in the 2020 gt3r. I'm genuinely really surprised how easy the Porsche cup is to drive even with zero traction control

13 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

it confirms my thoughts I was in to low a gear through a few of the corners

Yeah it kinda depends on your setup (specifically how much rake you are running) and on your line into the turn (which is also setup dependent) and your minimum speed through the turn. You may actually find it faster to be going through T7 and T8 in 3rd. One thing is for sure and that's to never use gear 1, though. 

If running high rake and low bb, you may need to engine brake to stabilise the car into 3rd then short shift to 4th for both T7 and 8 to be able to point the right direction out of the corner.

In saying that, the cup car isn't too heavily setup dependent, but things like brake bias, rake and camber will make most of the difference.

Edited by daveo

On the cup car you want more camber on rear than front (by 0.2 to 0.5) due to the engine being in the rear. I think the real cup cars are running 6 on rear, but in game 4-4.5 and up and you'll probably end up scrubbing. You'll feel it in particular on the final corner and the down/up right hander on Zandvoort especially if you unlock the diff mid corner.

Not super keen on the 27/35 temps I'm running, but my race is gonna be at those temps annoyingly. Makes things a bit toasty and slow.

And just like any GT3 car you pretty much want to run minimum front ride height and adjust the rake from there. Only certain cars at certain tracks you want to raise it up by 1 or I think there might be a one or two cars that need to be raised by 2mm for certain tracks with certain fuel loads.

Yeah sorry kinda went a bit crazy typing so much haha.

Edited by daveo

Spa i cant remember to be honest i just know when i tried spa online i was massively off pace by about 12s 😕 from what the fast guys were doing and worryingly i couldnt understand where i was so slow. 2.17-2.18's seem to be pretty respectable when having a quick google.

EDIT did a few laps and managed to get to 2.24.2 with 65lt of fuel probably if i was to drop down to 15lt id maybe get to a 2.22/3 but ive no idea where id find another 4-5s

Edited by scottishsurfer

22 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

EDIT did a few laps and managed to get to 2.24.2 with 65lt of fuel probably if i was to drop down to 15lt id maybe get to a 2.22/3 but ive no idea where id find another 4-5s

Feel free to post a replay if you wish, I can prob find a little time here n there that you're missing.

Tough track, hard to get the setup right it seems. Did an 18.1 on quali fuel and in the 19s with a full load of fuel, but it's just messy and I feel completely confused at every corner. Hmm gonna come back to it tomorrow.

20 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

One place i do know where im loosing time is the direction changes through les combes,campos and the bus stop chicane. I have to be very very careful or ill get over steer after the direction change mid chicane which massively limits just how agressive i can be.

Right yeah got it. It's a damn tough track. It seems not many cars can run their usual base setup there.

Finally got a 17.9. Gonna keep pushing and see if I can get below 17.5. Got a 12hr enduro I've been thrown into at short notice so just trying to prep for that.

On another note, just made a huge upgrade. A $6 roll of left over grip tape from my ice axe haha! It's damn good, feels like my gloves/hands are glued to the wheel!

IMG_20211117_200151.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice reminds of wrapping my hockey stick when i was kid 😄  Is that 12 very real hours daveo, I seriously doubt i could be consistant that long.

One strange thing i did discover last night is apparently im better than average at driving in the rain as i managed to get 3rd last night in an online race at the hungaroring after starting 18th I'm guessing real life experience of driving in the pissing rain here might have something to do with it 🤔.

55 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

Is that 12 very real hours daveo, I seriously doubt i could be consistant that long.

Haha yeah I'm doing 4 1hr-ish stints. I was kinda put on the spot and agreed to do it. Maybe it was a mistake.

57 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

One strange thing i did discover last night is apparently im better than average at driving in the rain

Ah yeah, your experience surely plays a part there. Good to hear! 18th to 3rd is some Hamilton effort right there.

Feel free to join my spa server whenever you like. No password. "caergpspa" is the name.

24 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

read the 1st lap chaos

Ha yeah mate that's the way! Experience makes all the diff there!

23 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

I found your server only problem being my ping to it is 314ms

Ping doesn't matter unless it is wheel to wheel racing, actually. Won't feel any different. I'll jump on a bit later I think!

Ah sounds like every lap I've ever done LOL! I was relieved when I was told we entered as the Audi, I can't seem to come to grips with the 720. In saying that I've only done 1 race in the Audi and that was Kyalami, so it's all still new to me.

The 720 I watched you drive last night did seem to be a handful, didn't look fun at all.

I have a setup for Spa for the 720 made by Nils if you want it? I've only been impressed by his setups. I was going to aim for a 16, but I won't be doing qualification for my team, so I've just stopped hotlapping now and concentrating on full fuel runs only.

Below is hotlap, I think the line should be quite similar to the 720. You'd prob trail off brakes earlier with the 720 and maybe brake a little earlier, too.

Edited by daveo

Ill give it a go see if its to my liking :), do you want my email? I tossed the setup i had in the bin and decided to try my monza setup to see if that was better and it was instantly 2s a lap faster and much easier to control. I got down to a 2.22.1 and was on for a 2.21.5 until i screwed up the final bus stop chicane. I reckon if i can tune out the little bit of understeer it currently has i could probably loose another second or two. One thing i really have noticed is the shift lights on 720 flash way to early in the rev range for peak acceleration i really wish i could push them 4-500rpm up the rev range so im not having to look at the rpm readout directly.

Yeah mate flick me your email! I'll shoot you a bunch of good sets for a few/cars tracks. Only the ones I know are good. 

Mm from what I understand (which could be wrong), the 720 is understeery in general, that's why I think trailing a bit earlier is sometimes necessary. But honestly I don't know much about it.

Shift point is actually 7650 on the 720, btw.

Just finished the enduro. We had to retire due to technical issues. From my practise this week, this is what might or might not be true haha.... 

If you can't take eau rouge raidillon flat, that's 0.6s lost.

Les combes T7 you want to use as much kerb as possible. 

T9 is a half lift.

T10 is best treated as a double apex using turning to scrub speed.

No name is generally a 20% jab on brakes to bring the nose down, coast in and floor it, 2 wheels off is what you want for a good exit. (on my replay I hit throttle for a split second after brake, just ignore that, just locking the diff because Audi specific reasons)

Pouhon is on quickly to 75% then trail off for turn in, once 3/4 to outside on right, floor it. Easy to lose grip and understeer due to the drop off but just reduce steering angle until it grips.

Start of campus you generally engine brake to 2nd and short shift to 3rd before T14, aim for middle of track before T14, then coast and floor it half way around T14.

T15 is brake up to 100% but immediately start trailing off, down to 2nd and floor it. Take a late apex.

Lifting on entry to T16 can mean a loss of 0.3s by bus stop.

Braking into bus stop should actually be done diagonally from mid to the outside. Saves up to 0.1s depending on how well you do it.

Pouhon actually can be done a little faster but requires a bit of a differently style. Braking and turning actually forcing oversteer there means you can floor it earlier, but takes way too much time investment to bother with, especially when you can find heaps more time with less effort. Maybe find 0.1s. But worth learning the technique because you can prob do that once at each track.

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1