Note to New Members ×

Head Stratos Pro

lmfmjha

In stock, Head boots are excellent (comfortable, warm) but somewhat stiff. Some racers like this. (extreme) carvers don't. After modifying the boots you get great forward flex and increase the effect of the spring : less effort in your legs.

Modified Head boots behaviour is very similar to Northwave .900 one

Arnaud

please a pic arnaud!

thanx

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
In stock, Head boots are excellent (comfortable, warm) but somewhat stiff. Some racers like this. (extreme) carvers don't. After modifying the boots you get great forward flex and increase the effect of the spring : less effort in your legs.

Modified Head boots behaviour is very similar to Northwave .900 one

Arnaud

So I guess there is no use in trying out the stiffer toungues that came with the boots? I always wondered what difference they make compared to making spring adjustments? :confused:

As an owner of Stratos Pros I've found this discussion fascinating. Like the originator of the thread, I'm 6'4" and 225. While I've no other boots to compare them too (other than ski boots), I will attest to the fine quality and the resiliency/suppleness of the plastic in all weather conditions. The boot's original liners (heat moldable) have served me well and the buckling system is certainly brilliant. I use Intec heels and Cateks and the interface between the boots and hardware is rock solid. I'm not obsessed with perfect half circles and mostly freeride in walk mode, however, on those occasions when I do tighten up the whole setup, I can't help but marvel at the rigidity and the transfer to the edge. I've gotten to about 50-55 days in them now. All the best.

So I guess there is no use in trying out the stiffer toungues that came with the boots? I always wondered what difference they make compared to making spring adjustments? :confused:

I think the idea is slightly different. With the stiffer tounges you are effectively decreasing the flex of the boot while with the spring system and cutting the plastic in the back you are increasing the foward flex.

Different courses for different horses as the saying goes, I think it`s all about personel preference.

FWIW, I just put a die spring into the original boot system and cut the plastic out of the back, I have now ridden on it for two days. I found it much better than the original/stock spring. At the huge cost of $5 it`s worth trying. Kind of like walk mode with power assist.:)

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
I'm about ready to drill the rivot to get at the last little bit of sticktion

Hey Petrol, what's up? Haven't seen you in a while :) I messed up my knee, had some work done on it last spring and managed to bust up my old boots. I went up to Silver Creek a few weeks ago to try out my new HSPs and *still* have a nice bruise where they tried to take a bite out of my calf at the tongue/rear-liner intersection.

Do you have a set of HSP's? Have you had that problem? I might try my old liners or take them over to Peter Glenn. They have a pretty good bootfitter named Thomas who has worked with me on a few things over the years.

compared to sb323 or burton fire's - Head Stratos Pros are miles above in performance. i think they are miles ahead of the raichle af 700 even, which i rode for the past 3 or 4 years.

I tend to agree with you on that.... I rode far better in the regular Head Stratos than the 700's. There seems to be delay in input.

Hey Petrol, what's up? Haven't seen you in a while :) I messed up my knee, had some work done on it last spring and managed to bust up my old boots. I went up to Silver Creek a few weeks ago to try out my new HSPs and *still* have a nice bruise where they tried to take a bite out of my calf at the tongue/rear-liner intersection.

Do you have a set of HSP's? Have you had that problem? I might try my old liners or take them over to Peter Glenn. They have a pretty good bootfitter named Thomas who has worked with me on a few things over the years.

Hi Chris! Sorry to hear about your knee & hope that all is well now.

Yes, I busted up my beloved old reactors ending my season and then picked up some very lightly used HSPs from another Chris here on BOL (good guy) last spring.

Anyway, I stomped around the house in them several times over the summer and all seemed great. But by the end of my third run it was clear I had some tweaking to do.

So far the progess has been very good and the boots are almost right where I want them.

I suck at posting PICs, If you want to meet up we can catch up & compare notes over a beer.:biggthump

Shoot me an e-mail with your contact info

• 1 year later...
Now the boot can flex 25-30° forward ! Unfortunatly, the standard spring system limits this movement. I built a new system giving a longer stroke. It's possible to choose between three different spring combinations :

standard Head + green : soft

Head + blue : hard

Blue + green : medium

Upper nut allow hardness adjustement

this works great !

Might you still have a pair of this system? I am looking to soften my HSPs for next year.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I've ridden the Stratos Pro for about five years and really like it. I had previously ridden the Raichle 324.

We used to sell them at our shop but can only get very small sizes these days. If anyone can wear a mondo 31.5 we have one pair left. At checkout apply the Discount Code of bomber to get an extra 10% off.

I revived the BTSs from France, thanks Arnaud, and will be installing them this fall per the very intricate PDF directions. Crossing my fingers and believe this was the best way to go besides buying new, softer boots. Plus I love the HSP fit and orange!

We used to sell them at our shop but can only get very small sizes these days.

I thought it was known by now that Head stopped producing the Stratos Pro's? The few new pairs that are out there are new old stock. If anyone rides em or is thinking about switching over to them, now is the time to buy as they are already quite rare to find in the more common sizes. I think I bought the last pair of new 29.5 HSPs in existence.