Note to New Members ×

Downhill Service Animals

*Ace*

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/autism-awareness-service-dog-ski-resort_n_603e75f5c5b601179ec0e5a7

I saw this article today and had to share. Interested to see what people think about the topic of service animals on the slopes. Service animals have become so prevalent these days in many different forms and show up in places you wouldn't think about. Like downhill skiing...at Deer Valley.

It is an interesting article and a complicated situation.  When I saw this link, I was thinking more along the lines of Zudnick(sp?) from the old ski movies, but this is quite different.   As an animal rights advocate, I wonder how the service animals feel about this?  Are they terrified?  What happens to them if their human falls on them?  What happens if the animal escapes and causes another skier/boarder to be injured?  I also know there are lots of people who are nervous around dogs, so how does that factor in?  I have also experienced first-hand people who are abusing the "emotional support animal" practice, so I can definitely see this getting out of hand.   Ultimately, if it truly allows people with disabilities to experience a more enriching life, then I am fine with it.  

In this particular case, it's an abuse. She skied all her life without the dog, now she suddenly needs one? 

Also, comical reasons, dog reminds the owner to take the medicine? Give me a break, get a smart watch, it would be more efficient. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BlueB said:

Also, comical reasons, dog reminds the owner to take the medicine? Give me a break, get a smart watch, it would be more efficient. 

I've got an emotional support cow that reminds me to fully chew my food and drink my milk. If I can get the harness worked out, she'll join me on the slopes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, lordmetroland said:

I've got an emotional support cow that reminds me to fully chew my food and drink my milk. If I can get the harness worked out, she'll join me on the slopes.

That's one way to get those racer kids to mooooooooove out of the way. 

Alright i'll leave.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3