Note to New Members ×

Need help finding Kessler inserts under topsheet

skidad62

Hey folks

Could use some help locating the 4x4 or 4x2 inserts in my new to me Kessler 185.

I had heard that a magnet can be used to find the inserts - but I've not had any luck with that - can't even get the magnet to notice the UPM inserts that are exposed (may be stainless?)

My topsheet has light impressions that line up exactly with my bindings - so I tried a very small drill hole on one to check it out.  It seems to hit a layer of metal just under the P-tex top sheet - and that looks right when I compare to the UPM holes that are drilled.

Decided to stop there and check for insight from others before I push on.

I've attached a pic of the 185 beside my 168 and also a shot of the 185 topsheet with the light impressions circled as a reference.

Any help or experiences would be great!

IMG_3260.JPG

IMG_3287.JPG

Steve, they’re under there. 
I bought a 185 from The Calgary Snowboard club, years back. 

Glenn Chapman / Hollywood helped me. He had a device that was very sensitive to heat, and we scanned the top sheet looking for temp variances. I’ll have him chime in for the correct device name. 
once we knew where one insert was, we then mimicked, the insert pattern from another Kessler. 
another 185 would be ideal, but that 168 could help as well. 
either a 168 or a 185 will tell you the insert width, so draw those vertical lines with a pencil, so you are on plane, then your just probing on the horizontal holes. 
we first made very small holes with a drill. Then once we knew where all of them were we went to a bigger drill. 
obviously use a smaller drill then the insert threads. 
most of the work was done with an exacto knife, cutting open the top sheet. 
then I simply cleaned the thread with a thread chaser. 

you could also use wax, and. A hot iron, but to get it hot enough to show the inserts from below, you might cause damage to the base. 

• Like 1

We used a $10000 Flir thermal camera. They are down to about $5000 now. If you know anyone that has one, use a wax iron on the base and get a little heat in it (you don't need to get crazy here just waxing temps). You should be able to see the thermal difference on the top sheet. We tried an ultra sound thickness gauge but the results were inconclusive. I also remember we had a treasure map of sorts, we kind of new where they should have been. It was a while ago. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Hollywood 90210 said:

We used a $10000 Flir thermal camera. They are down to about $5000 now. If you know anyone that has one, use a wax iron on the base and get a little heat in it (you don't need to get crazy here just waxing temps). You should be able to see the thermal difference on the top sheet. We tried an ultra sound thickness gauge but the results were inconclusive. I also remember we had a treasure map of sorts, we kind of new where they should have been. It was a while ago. 

Hollywood, that furmuffcam is that much !!!

thanks for helping out, I owe skiguydad lunch and most likely you as well. 

• Like 1

I used a cheap laser infrared thermometer like the one below (but not this exact one) to see localized warm spots on the outside of some heated gloves I bought.  I would judge that I could detect a temperature difference of 1 or 2 deg C on an area around the size of an insert.  So it might work if you can find one to borrow or buy.  

Image1.jpg.8448f0cc4f9821905c4ad91af72e7a86.jpg

Edited by Wolf
  • Like 1

Anyone have a Kessler 185 with 4x4 inserts?     Hoping someone could measure from the tip of the board to the 4x4 holes and same from the tail    

Any details would be so great!

I can see indents where I think at least a 4x2 pattern is there - your measurements would help me confirm I’ve likely got it right.  

662C4A5C-F054-4007-8214-6D019E1C7745.jpeg

Edited by skidad62

9 hours ago, David Kirk said:

Are you sure that there are inserts under there? It's hard to picture them being put in but then running the top sheet over them. I'd leave them out if I would building the board.

dave

Normally you run the top laminate over the inserts and drill the laminate afterwards.  Makes a lot of sense not to drill inserts yet if it is not sure they will be used,  as there is a significant strength benefit. 

Bit weird tough that the locations are not marked then by Kessler

Edited by TimW

12 hours ago, David Kirk said:

Are you sure that there are inserts under there? It's hard to picture them being put in but then running the top sheet over them. I'd leave them out if I would building the board.

dave

My first kessler was made for a world cup---olympic rider and it has 5 sets front and rear, all the unused holes were filled with plastic plugs, keeps the holes from filling with ice, so, only the necessary holes drilled out saved the not used holes from expansion contraction, we know how far apart they are, so we can just draw a straight line and put a dot on the center of where they would be, then we can take a strong magnet put it below the board and some metal filings, sprinkle them on top and watch them align with the holes we dotted, or, drill a very small hole on the suspected dots to learn if the space under the dot is empty, the holes could be patched with epoxy if it were not needed.

There were conversations about this on bomber, searching doesn't seem to expose them.

Edited by ursle
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, GeoffV said:

Steve, I have a 185, I could do some measuring at some point.

I decided to trust the dimples and do a test drill.  Found 1 full set!

4 holes for front and 4 for rear.  

Will post pics and measurements later for others. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skidad62 said:

I decided to trust the dimples and do a test drill.  Found 1 full set!

4 holes for front and 4 for rear.  

Will post pics and measurements later for others. 

Here’s some pics and reference points for the 185

There were very feint Dimples on the topsheet that marked the inserts.  

The 1st Of the front set of inserts is 76.5 cm back from the tip.  The 1st of the rear inserts is 126.5 cm back from the tip.  

The inserts have a little material left to massage - will wait til post Covid-19 and use a tap to clean them up.  

4C0FBF4C-E3D5-4325-8030-699F687AF52B.jpeg

E23D8121-ABE9-43AA-B8E7-6517E7C5003C.jpeg

2DF83535-C17D-4FB2-9F31-5B01D90C3FEC.jpeg

36691E0F-C300-4A51-ABC9-5D7E4EF25491.jpeg

5E1076D4-53E4-4D4F-937E-24148A490E15.jpeg

594695FC-9146-4A0F-AE93-2FC3E74D528D.jpeg

67DD6C66-87C4-4A35-A8C0-C374047E743E.jpeg

• Like 3

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I have a similar situation as Skidad62 with the little dimples showing on the top sheet.
I drilled one tiny pilot hole and it felt like it passed through the titanium cover plate and then entered a hollow void with a metal bottom.

I want to believe that there is a threaded insert under there

My question is how did you progress with the drills without stripping the threads on the inserts that are in there?